E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 gear selector not showing gear and wont crank until battery reconnected

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
Probation Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: lada
Default e60 gear selector not showing gear and wont crank until battery reconnected

Bmw 5 series e60 2006 sometimes does not crank when selector on automatic gearbox is not glowing on any of drive modes which seems like car does not understand which gear it is in. When disconnecting and reconnecting battery gearbox selector light is glowing on P as it's supposed to and it car immediately starts up. There are no related fault codes that comes up on ECU. Previous owner mentioned that it might be something to do with ignition not recognizing the key properly. Also sometimes the key just won't go into ignition barrel not allowing to start the car but slides in after couple of attempts. The times when it's not sliding into the barrel properly the gear selector is glowing on P as it's should so i'm not sure if key barrel and the gearbox issue is related. What could be the direction I should be looking at to fix it?