E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 front parking light error message..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 01:18 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530D M Sport Auto
Default E60 front parking light error message..?

Hi guys new user on the forum here.

Just bought a 55 plate 530D M Sport Auto with 148k on the clock in relatively good conditions, just has a few small problems that need rectifying.

The one that is confusing me currently is I get an error message saying the front right parking light is out but I've checked the headlight units on all available settings and the both seem fine to me.. The previous owner mentioned he recently changed from led bulbs back to normal ones so could it be that the error message needs to be 'cleared'?

Cheers!
Old 03-22-2016, 01:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

You could clear the bulb codes, but these cars also have a setting (you would need to code/check the coding in the vehicle) to monitor bulb outages--that may be causing the false positives. (I have heard it can in some instances) Moving from LED to traditional may have caused the problem (if that option is enabled) based on the resistance and such.

there are about 30 or so things that can be coded individually, the car has about 5 modules that you can change settings in, but it takes a bit of work.....or you can use the carly app and a smartphone ...
Old 03-22-2016, 01:53 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by funglenn
You could clear the bulb codes, but these cars also have a setting (you would need to code/check the coding in the vehicle) to monitor bulb outages--that may be causing the false positives. (I have heard it can in some instances) Moving from LED to traditional may have caused the problem (if that option is enabled) based on the resistance and such.

there are about 30 or so things that can be coded individually, the car has about 5 modules that you can change settings in, but it takes a bit of work.....or you can use the carly app and a smartphone ...
Thanks for the reply but surely I shouldn't have to mess about with coding..? The guy that sold me the car said it had LEDs fitted previously but they were aftermarket so when it came to replacing them he went back to traditionals. Could it maybe something to do with quality of bulb?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:31 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

You should not have to--I only meant maybe he messed with the coding and you would need to see if it is set or not. could be the quality, the resistance is how the car measures if a bulb works or not.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Mine does the same thing once in a while. I think the light wiring "insulation" are deteriorating and needs to be covered up/repaired with liquid tape (Harbor Freight sells the "Can Spray" kind!). The result of such problem could be moisture touching the bare wire(s) with broken "insulation".

I already bought the liquid tape to see if I can remedy the problem. It's just a matter time before I do it.

Originally Posted by Underdog1
Hi guys new user on the forum here.

Just bought a 55 plate 530D M Sport Auto with 148k on the clock in relatively good conditions, just has a few small problems that need rectifying.

The one that is confusing me currently is I get an error message saying the front right parking light is out but I've checked the headlight units on all available settings and the both seem fine to me.. The previous owner mentioned he recently changed from led bulbs back to normal ones so could it be that the error message needs to be 'cleared'?

Cheers!

Last edited by E60I; 03-23-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:06 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

so all four angel eyes appear lit? you're absolutely positive about that?
Old 03-25-2016, 01:08 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BostonJon
Yeah everything seems to come on as it should. When I have full beams on everything in both headlights is illuminated. I'm going to be getting a diagnostic tool shortly (as soon as I can figure out how I'm going to install the software on a MacBook..) but in the meantime I may swap the bulbs round and see if the error code follows a 'duff' bulb.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:59 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BostonJon
The cat started throwing out both left and right parking error messages today and on further inspection I found this (first time I've had chance to check in anything other than daylight!):

Seems the one side has an LED bulb in it and the other has a bulb out. Am I right in thinking the led bulb itself will throw out an error code due to the decrease resistance?

I'm going to pop to halfords tomorrow and get 2x halogen bulbs and fit them which will hopefully put an end to the problem
Old 03-26-2016, 12:39 PM
New Members

i couldnt find a decent reliable halo system that was reasonably priced
Old 03-26-2016, 12:40 PM
New Members

Amazon.com: Hella Headlight Bulb Angel Eyes: Automotive Amazon.com: Hella Headlight Bulb Angel Eyes: Automotive

Quick Reply: E60 front parking light error message..?