E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Fiber Nation Hood Made by Seibon Installed!!! (Lots of PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:09 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire breathing hood.

Wow, What a beautiful vehicle you got. It looks menacing especially with the hood and the rims. You got great taste when it comes to accessorizing your car. I'm would like to purchase a carbon fiber hood also but I have some concerns. Maybe you can share some light.

Questions:

Fitment with a Alpine White car. The imperfections would be more noticeable than a black car. What is your opinion on that?

Did you use the heat insulation from your stock hood?

Did you have to do any modification to install the hood.

Do the original shocks work well with the lighter hood weight?

Do you noticed any excessive hod vibration or does it lock tightly?

Do you have any concerns with hood yellowing from the heat?

How much did you pay for the hood paint job?

Do you recommend hood pin locks?

Are you satisfied with 87 to 100% fitment?

Correct me if im wrong. Fiber Nation hoods are Carbon Fiber on top and fiberglass on the bottom. You can find the full CF version from Seibon and VIS dealer for $1190.00 shipped. So you saved $215.00 bucks. Do you think that the savings are worth it compared to a full CF hood product? Please don't read to deep into this. I personally wouldn't mind the savings.

http://www.body-kitz.com/contents/en...ber-hoods.html

Why did you choose the Seibon over VIS? I assumed due to cost savings from Fiber Nation Fiberglass / CF combination.

We thank you so much for taking the time and effort to post pic's and your experiences with this product. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only E60 enthusiast that would love to pull the trigger on this mod. Its just that we have heard so many horror stories on fitment and quality issues that contraints us from going into the menacing dark side. Just a piece of advice make sure when you open the hood that your extremities are out of harms way. I hear that the hood acts like a catapult due to the hood being to light for the shocks. lol

Last edited by Jrosa55; 06-16-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:24 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 550i W/ Sport Package

Did you use the heat insulation from your stock hood? No

Did you have to do any modification to install the hood. Yes, i had to drill out the holes for the windshield wiper fluid.

Do the original shocks work well with the lighter hood weight? Yes but every time i open it i open it carefully just in case because you can feel the difference from the oem.

Do you noticed any excessive hod vibration or does it lock tightly? No vibration, and yes it locks tightly.

Do you have any concerns with hood yellowing from the heat? No because the only carbon fiber is on the vents and you can remove them from under the hood and take them to get re cleared if it does happen....would take less than 3 mins to remove both vents...

How much did you pay for the hood paint job? My buddy did it at his shop for 200 and blended the fenders...got to take it back in about 2 weeks he said so he can use 2000 grit sand paper and buff it out

Do you recommend hood pin locks? I dont because i dont like the look of them and it locks down exactly like the oem hood.

Are you satisfied with 87 to 100% fitment? yes but no... the hood does look great but i would love it way more if everything was 100% as everyone else would to lol but the average person probably wouldnt notice it being a little off and if they do tell them to stop staring at your car for hours! lol

Why did you choose the Seibon over VIS? The Price was a little cheaper

---And i never installed a hood before...and it was wayyyy easier than i thought it would be...you literally just un bolt it and do a one for one swap....everything bolts up exactly as oem

Last edited by DFWBMW550i; 06-16-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:10 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by DFWBMW550i
Did you use the heat insulation from your stock hood? No

Did you have to do any modification to install the hood. Yes, i had to drill out the holes for the windshield wiper fluid.

Do the original shocks work well with the lighter hood weight? Yes but every time i open it i open it carefully just in case because you can feel the difference from the oem.

Do you noticed any excessive hod vibration or does it lock tightly? No vibration, and yes it locks tightly.

Do you have any concerns with hood yellowing from the heat? No because the only carbon fiber is on the vents and you can remove them from under the hood and take them to get re cleared if it does happen....would take less than 3 mins to remove both vents...

How much did you pay for the hood paint job? My buddy did it at his shop for 200 and blended the fenders...got to take it back in about 2 weeks he said so he can use 2000 grit sand paper and buff it out

Do you recommend hood pin locks? I dont because i dont like the look of them and it locks down exactly like the oem hood.

Are you satisfied with 87 to 100% fitment? yes but no... the hood does look great but i would love it way more if everything was 100% as everyone else would to lol but the average person probably wouldnt notice it being a little off and if they do tell them to stop staring at your car for hours! lol

Why did you choose the Seibon over VIS? The Price was a little cheaper

---And i never installed a hood before...and it was wayyyy easier than i thought it would be...you literally just un bolt it and do a one for one swap....everything bolts up exactly as oem
If you had a white car would you do this mod with the Fiber Nation product?

Why didn't you use the stock insulation?

Do you think investing the extra 215.00 bucks is worth it for an all CF hood?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 AM
New Members

Yes I would pay for the extra money and go with the carbon fiber but that's me (you can always paint it).

I didn't feel like I needed it for this hood and there was no screw holes for it so I figure why bother lol and the instal TDA did was on 2 M5s they didn't use it either
Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by DFWBMW550i
Yes I would pay for the extra money and go with the carbon fiber but that's me (you can always paint it).

I didn't feel like I needed it for this hood and there was no screw holes for it so I figure why bother lol and the instal TDA did was on 2 M5s they didn't use it either
Fitment wise (crevice width imperfections), If you had a white car would you do this mod with the Fiber Nation product? Be careful with going raw under the hood. I've have read were people mentioned of yellowing on CF hoods cause by heat. You can always glue the insulation back on.

BMW E60 Hood insulation | eBay
Old 06-17-2013, 03:43 PM
New Members

There was two very small chips/ crevices but my buddy caught it before he painted it. So just make sure who ever paints it takes pride in there work so they won't miss anything because it is fiberglass. And actually I wish my car was white because this hood would look 10x better because the carbon fiber vents would pop out more.
The installation will go on the new hood you just got to drill the holes for them to pop into. If you go on there Facebook page they have a picture of the under side of the hood on a black m5
Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545

Thanks for the Q&A . I love the look .I wonder how it would look on my Silver 545 . Good luck and congrats on doing it .
Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 PM
New Members

We thank you Bro for the illuminating our doubts and concerns. Now go out there and enjoy that wicked ride. The cars looks great.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Jrosa55
We thank you Bro for the illuminating our doubts and concerns. Now go out there and enjoy that wicked ride. The cars looks great.
If my leds for the eyebrows will ever come in for my headlights! lol i have one headlight all cut open and all blacked with the orion v4s just waiting to hop in there....wish hong kong was a little closer lol
Old 06-20-2013, 02:55 AM
New Members

God bless you if you can get those eyebrows back together without future condensation.
I had someone who do that on mine and my lights are terrible. condensation. sometimes water ggets inside

I ended up painting lights black to hide it all.

they suck i need to buy new lights but they are super expensive.

But yea. I wish you well.

Sorry for my rant lol

Quick Reply: E60 Fiber Nation Hood Made by Seibon Installed!!! (Lots of PICS)