E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Exterior design features

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by nbusbridge' post='282484' date='May 15 2006, 02:41 PM
Whether you have headlights on or off makes no real difference. he headlights are aligned so that dip beam doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers.
But fog lights just throw out a high intensity wide pattern designed to provide visibility when there IS fog. Therfore they are not designed in such a way as to avoid dazzling people because in foggy conditions the brightness of the beam will be attenuated by fog.
Have you not noticed this from other peoples fogs ?
Nothing personal , just something I find anoying on the road. So I'm always happy to waffle on about it
I really don't find other people with only foglight on bother me, don't know maybe they have change the design of the foglight in recent years as I don't find the foglight cuts through fog like they are suppose to. I think the white colour being the reason, anyways there's always been problems with lighting of the cars on the road as even some of the headlights are not adjusted correctly thereby dazzling oncoming driver.

So just enjoy your car, both the drive and the exterior of course.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

In Sweden, fog lights are only allowed in conjunction with parking lights. This combination can be used in fog, or similar weather, but also during daytime (sun has to be up).

/M

Originally Posted by nbusbridge' post='281542' date='May 12 2006, 05:24 PM
Fog lights are illegal in the UK if it's not foggy.
They also dazzle oncoming traffic.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='282498' date='May 15 2006, 08:37 AM
I really don't find other people with only foglight on bother me, don't know maybe they have change the design of the foglight in recent years as I don't find the foglight cuts through fog like they are suppose to. I think the white colour being the reason, anyways there's always been problems with lighting of the cars on the road as even some of the headlights are not adjusted correctly thereby dazzling oncoming driver.

?60 fine and possible points on your license for using your fogs when there is no 'fog' in the UK.

I think the police must have solved all the crimes .....
Old 05-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Members

My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='282498' date='May 15 2006, 02:37 AM
An excellent idea !
Rant over
Old 05-15-2006, 12:46 AM
Contributors

I love every aspect of the design......especially the things that are most commonly critisized (like the pointy taillights, trunk line, headlights, etc.).

If I really had to come up with a couple of things that could have been better it would be the following:

1. The front bumper.....the frowning look of the original front bumper does not look as good and as sporty as the M Tech bumper, which makes a huge improvement.

2. The amber side reflector that is integrated in the headlight of US model E60's is really ugly. I know that it is required by US regulations, but I would have preferred a setup like the E46 coupe where the headlight on US models has the same clear sides as the Euro models but there is a thin strip of amber reflector incorporated in the side of the bumper. This is not really a design flaw of the E60 in general because it is only on US (& Canadian) E60's.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='282508' date='May 15 2006, 04:17 PM
I think the police must have solved all the crimes .....
Tell me about it, I am constanly getting parking tickets for parking at meter that expired a few minutes, but I never get stopped about this fog light thing.

Probably because the police was checking the E60 out and at the same times realize the meter has expired <_<
Old 05-15-2006, 01:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

I bought the 5er because of the way it drives and its mechanical refinement. I can honestly say that I think it is one of the least successful designs ever. The surfaces are a mish-mash which whilst challenging for the observer have actually proved impossible for the body engineers to deal with. All the panel gaps, are of Chrysler proportions and lead to some rather ugly details, i.e. where the bonnet curves at the trailing edge and meets the wings, and the side of the bonnet. The boot area is awful, it is substantial in a Mitsubishi Charisma (sic) kind of way. Most angles are poorly resolved and with mine (an M-Sport) alot of it seems stuck on. It is not a car I look back at when I close the garage door, sorry. But if there is one design element that I really hate then it is the stupid little gay fin on the roof for the Sat Nav and 'Phone. Fur Chrissakes, these things have been integrated successfully by every other manufacturer without adding carbuncles to the roof.

I am globally a big fan of the car, hence why I bought one, but I found all the usual suspects in this class rather uninspiring, i.e. E-Klasse, A6, GS, 5er, but the 5er in 520d form was unbeatable to drive in comparison with the competition.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:10 AM
Members

My Ride: SOON-TO-RIDE: 530d Havana/Oyster - Exclusive Plus pack... SOLD: 530d Touring - M Sport Package - Carbon Black - Amethyst Leather - Navigation - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit inserts - Comfort access - Dark rear windows - Advanced Airco - Bluetooth - Adaptive Bi-Xenon - Storage pack - Light pack - Logic 7 ETA: early June SOLD: Mini Cooper S - Dark Gray /White - black leather - JCW 18" Rims - Sunroof - Chili Pack

Hi there,

I'm no big fan of the chrome line either... long live shadow line (brilliant in my case)!

Though I like the 5 series a lot, I have to admit I wouldn't have ordered mine without the M-Kit... it adds so much to the car in my opinion... and it allows to get rid of the ugly alloy rims that come standard with the 530d...

External mirrors on the M-Kit should look more like those of the real M5... but the standard ones fit me... for now

Now a E61 "issue" only are the roof rails... I really like the ones from the Audi A6... but ok, I'll live with that quite easily actually

Still can't wait for mine to be delivered...
Old 05-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525I fully loaded

I love everything about the E60. Better design then my old E39