E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: What choice did you make and why?
Diesel Manual
7.50%
Diesel Auto
20.00%
Gas Manual
18.75%
Gas Auto
42.50%
Gas SMG
11.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

E60 Engine/Transmission Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 01:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently making my decision and would be interested to know how you made yours.

It's going to be interesting to see which is the most popular. <_<

I wanted to specify each model (i.e, 525i,525d, etc) but was restricted on the amount of choices I could post.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:19 AM
Contributors

I chose SMG because I like the paddles and the system double clutches for you to give you a cleaner shift.
Plus it is a little better for my wife to drive.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:21 AM
Senior Members

I had an E46 3 ltr diesel auto and was pleased with the performance, when it came to choosing the 5 their was only one engine and transmission to have in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:50 AM
Contributors

I choose manual on a 530D touring.
I have manual right now on a 320D and have an incredible MPG (auto was not available then so it was not much of a choice) and are totally used to manual.
The reasoning now is that I will save some of the option cost and some on consumption and that if my wife wants to get a licence it has to be on a manual (here).
(I know this is kind of ridicolus considering the total cost of the car but some selfassuring might be good)

best
objetti
Old 06-20-2004, 05:58 AM
Contributors

I chose manual because I have driven a manual for past 25 years and am only comfortable driving with a manual - that actually led me to the e60, as there are very few other similar quality manuals on the market.

Also, I think you are more in touch with the driving experience, and safer, because of having to concentrate on the driving process.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Members

I chose Steptronic because the other car at the house is a 2002 Porsche Targa 6 speed manual - so when I have the desire to drive a manual it's there. Besides, had Tiptronic on a previous Porsche and hated it - thus I thought I would not like SMG on the E60.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:55 AM
Members

I selected an auto mainly because I'm tired of the hassle of a manual and stop-n-go traffic.

Woodbeast
Old 06-20-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributors

That is another good reason to have SMG. You shift with your fingers. Really convenient.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Icy
Members

Gasoline, Steptronic.

One was not really a choice and the other was a tough choice to make. First off, like many who drive US model cars, the diesel was not available. Really liked the torque and economy of the diesel but didn't want to buy a European spec model.

The tranny was a very tough call. I went back and forth for almost two months on whether to get SMG or STEP. I test drove the STEP several times and loved the silky smooth gear changes and powerful feel of the manual shift mode.

Alas, I could not find an SMG car to test drive. So, I read every scrap of material (which was not much) and searched the forums for opinions and recommendations of those who had either taken the chance and gotten the SMG or had driven a previous model that had one. The final impression? Most everyone who got the SMG was happy with it after they got used to a new way of doing things. Hey, that's the mantra of the E60, right?

In my mind these two options were a dead heat. But, in the end analysis, the tie breaker was the test drive.

So STEP it is. On the other hand, I don't think any of us made a bad choice. Unless you chose a KIA
Old 06-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

WOW--28 votes already and a few surprises. At least to me anyways.

Looks like automatics, both gas and diesel, are running away with it.

I thought having a manual transmission was one of the strong points of this car. Looks like I'm wrong--for now anyways.

Quick Reply: E60 Engine/Transmission Poll