E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60/e61 water ingress settlement claim help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 05:01 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525i - Sports Package
Default e60/e61 water ingress settlement claim help

What's going on guys I'm having reasons to believe that my MPM module went bad due to water damage. Long story short, a couple weeks ago my idrive system begin to fail on me. It wouldn't turn on with the car. It kept flickering on and off as if it is giving out. However, after about 15-20miniets it always turns back on and works perfectly. Still having this problem, the other day when it was driving the rain my rear windows fogged up. As I pressed the rear defroster, all the radio stations went to static. Instantly suprised, I disengaged the defroster and the stations went back to crisp clear. (this occurred every time I engaged/disengaged)

I recently received a "United States District Court for the Southern District of New York" form. This form stated - complete this claim form only if you are seeking reimbursement or replacement of the RDC, PDC, MPM, TCU, LOGIC-7, & SDARS modules due to water incursion.

Apparently, there is a big case going on right now - "electronic components stored in the spare tire well of the trunk in the class vehicles are susceptible to water damage, caused either by clogged sunroof drainage tubes or by some other mean of water ingress."

My question:
Has anyone went through the process of filing claim?
Can MPM module be the case?

This is what I found online about the MPM:
Micro Power Module which is installed in the trunk well on E60 5-Series vehicles. It is the power controller for the entertainment, communication, and navigation systems on that vehicle. The most common symptom is the Display screen and radio are inoperative.
If the MPM gets wet it will need to be replaced and often the connector will need to be repaired. After replacement the vehicle will need to be reprogrammed.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 299 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I assumed that it was talking about all modules stored in the trunk. In that case submit your claim and have the receipt. I never had the issue because my vehicle has always been parked in a garage and away from trees (i assume).
Old 06-07-2017, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

The inspection and remediation is part of the settlement. Just take it in.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

The court have not signed of on the agreement yet. Until the court signs off, there is no legal agreement in place. Return the intent to file claim form, at this time.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Marcus,

MPM module is included in the list of modules covered for this lawsuit, and if they change it, reprogramming should be included. However, you need to mail your documents stating your choice before June 28, 2017. If you haven't received the document packet I suggest you call 1-844-531-5014 so they can send you one. you are not eligible to taking your car to the dealer until they have signed the settlement and they receive your document.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:06 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 525i - Sports Package

I appreciate it, thank you!
Old 06-29-2017, 06:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: 528i 6spd Sport Packa
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by pocholin
Marcus,

MPM module is included in the list of modules covered for this lawsuit, and if they change it, reprogramming should be included. However, you need to mail your documents stating your choice before June 28, 2017. If you haven't received the document packet I suggest you call 1-844-531-5014 so they can send you one. you are not eligible to taking your car to the dealer until they have signed the settlement and they receive your document.

Hope this helps.

If we do nothing and after the settlement agreement has been approved, we are still eligible to take the car to the dealer for inspection and replacement even if we don't file a claim.

Failure to file a timely claim only precludes reimbursement if you have previously paid out of pocket to replace these things. It does not preclude you getting it fixed for free now.

For reference, here is Q10 in their FAQ section!

"What if I do nothing?
If you do nothing, you will give up the right to be part of any other lawsuit against Defendants about the legal claims released by the Settlement. You will be entitled to take your Class Vehicle to a BMW Center for an inspection, relocation, and repair or replacement of the electronic modules. However, you will not receive any of the reimbursement benefits offered by this Settlement unless you timely submit a Claim Form."