E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Diesel in North America?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto
Thumbs up

Has anyone enquired at their dealership as to when, if ever, you will be able to order the diesel models? Don't get me wrong the petrol models are fantastic and if you get cheap gas they must be an absolute joy to own. But the modern BMW diesels are a different driving experience altogether. Not better just different! Its a shame you can't try both before you order.

Are there any performace diesels available in North America?
Old 03-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 3 2005, 05:15 PM
Has anyone enquired at their dealership as to when, if ever, you will be able to order the diesel models? Don't get me wrong the petrol models are fantastic and if you get cheap gas they must be an absolute joy to own. But the modern BMW diesels are a different driving experience altogether. Not better just different! Its a shame you can't try both before you order.?

[snapback]96776[/snapback]
I seem to remember reading somewhere that US laws weren't very diesel friendly - in fact I think California doesn't even allow them in cars (I could be wrong).
Old 03-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 3 2005, 06:15 PM
Has anyone enquired at their dealership as to when, if ever, you will be able to order the diesel models? Don't get me wrong the petrol models are fantastic and if you get cheap gas they must be an absolute joy to own. But the modern BMW diesels are a different driving experience altogether. Not better just different! Its a shame you can't try both before you order.?

[snapback]96776[/snapback]
Mercedes and VW sell Diesels here....
Old 03-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

the us goverment does not care to much about the enviroment, or it would encourage its drivers to drive more fuel efficent cars.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Members

You can buy and register a used diesel powered car with more than 7500 miles on it in California legally. There is a cottage industry of Ariz. and Nevada dealers that sell used VWs with 7500+ miles on them to Californians. The demand is great. My friend gets 47mpg in his Beetle TDI.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

do all gas/petrol stations sell diesel, or are\ you stuck out with the trucks on a fill up
Old 03-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Members

There are plenty of gas stations that sell diesel fuel...maybe 20-25% of the total (in San Diego County anyway)......no need to go to the truck stops!
Old 03-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Diesel is more rare in FL.

Maybe 1 in 5 stations has it.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

The dynamics of why US consumers buy cars is much different than in Europe. Most of us don't switch to snow tires in winter, we all have at least one SUV, we drive around with our fog lights always on and we are fooled by the whole Acura/Honda, Lexus/Toyota and Infiniti/Nissan marketing efforts- What makes you think we would buy more fuel efficient diesels.
To our defense, diesel fuel is not cheaper than gasoline here while I think it is in Europe.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:31 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Mar 4 2005, 01:19 AM
...we all have at least one SUV...
[snapback]96827[/snapback]
I've hard to believe that the average american can afford that..

...and reason why we have to buy a diesel and winter tires is that it costs as much as a petrol 5er AND a X5 over here...

Quick Reply: E60 Diesel in North America?