E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Common Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BG_Boy' post='1010965' date='Sep 18 2009, 08:29 AM
Great thread, just last night as I was driving home I was thinking about how to fix the creaking and squeaking going on beside my ear
So where can I purchase this tape, do I have to order it from a dealer or can I get it somewhere else?
You don't need tape to fix this. Buy a $10 can of "Gummi-Fledge" (rubber conditioner) from the BMW service department and spray it on the door seals. That will fix it.

This is a common BMW fault, had it on 3 of my cars. Usually it get's sprayed on by the technicians when the car goes for service and you never know, but lots of rain or hot weather will cause the problem to surface between services. The service departments use it by the bucket-load.

It's actually the rubber door seal that contacts the metal body, the wooly feeling one at the very top of the door. You cna also just wipe it over with an almost dry rag and it will also cure it fo a couple of days.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by higher' post='1037312' date='Oct 21 2009, 05:51 AM
You don't need tape to fix this. Buy a $10 can of "Gummi-Fledge" (rubber conditioner) from the BMW service department and spray it on the door seals. That will fix it.

This is a common BMW fault, had it on 3 of my cars. Usually it get's sprayed on by the technicians when the car goes for service and you never know, but lots of rain or hot weather will cause the problem to surface between services. The service departments use it by the bucket-load.

It's actually the rubber door seal that contacts the metal body, the wooly feeling one at the very top of the door. You cna also just wipe it over with an almost dry rag and it will also cure it fo a couple of days.
Good tip. So far, in 7 months of ownership, this problem has occurred and been fixed by the dealer twice.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Great info, thanks!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by einstein57' post='1017654
Is this covered under warranty?
Yes. But you have to be cautious and make sure that you don't sound as if you caused this problem yourself when you talk to the SA. Mine tried to tell me that it was due to the car's age, to which I practically went off on him and told him that a car is under warranty and it is their responsibility to fix it if it is broken - whether it wore out too soon or if it was caused by anything else is kind of irrelevant, considering that the BMW-estimated life-span of these parts should be well outside of the original warranty's 50k miles. Either way, they fixed it under warranty.

Originally Posted by JW-BENZ' post='1037128' date='Oct 20 2009, 10:45 PM
Can the sunroof seal be replaced easily or do I have to go to a dealer. I read that some programing is required??

I have the noise from the sunroof... My correction was to close the shade on it to mute the noise, but I want to have the sun shinning in.

Anyone? Thanks!
Some noise will always remain, so if you're experiencing a little bit of noise, it is not necessarily faulty. As for the programming for the sunroof seal, I highly doubt it is required, but do not know for a fact. Would be really surprised though if programming is required for a friggin' seal.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by SCardamon' post='1010895
Great thread, just last night as I was driving home I was thinking about how to fix the creaking and squeaking going on beside my ear
Just ask the wife to be quiet as politely as you can.

Seriously though, this seems to be a problem with most cars, not just BMW. It may be a little more noticeable on our cars because we want our cars with next to zero wind noise and therefore they try to fit the windows as close to the rubber for a tight fit. Over time, the rubber around the windows gets dirty, and/or hardens or gets brittle unless the owner regularly cleans it and treats it with rubber treatment. The poster above is correct in suggesting the BMW rubber product, however, I've had good luck silencing my previous E36 creaks by spraying the rubber seals with silicone once every couple of months. I have not had this issue with the E46 or E60 maybe because I clean and treat the rubber all around the car with rubber treatment at least once per season.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 AM
hmc
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

I haven't experienced them yet but based on my observation on the forum, these are also fairly common:

A) Brake Booster. Symptom: brake pedal is hard during normal engine run, especially at low speed. Fix: replace brake booster. You can get TRW brake booster from http://www.partsgeek.com/ for example.

Power steering leak. Caused by leaking power steering rack or active roll control rack. Fix: replace the leaking rack

C) Thermostat. It's stuck on open and causes the cooling system not reaching normal temperature. Increased Emissions error may happen. To check for coolant temperature, follow this instructions:
1) Turn ignition key to position 1 (Radio)
2) Press and hold Trip button until 01.__ appears.
3) The car?s chassis number will soon appear below this ? add the last five digits together, and remember this total for later on.
4) Press and hold Trip button to get 01.__ again, and then keep pressing the Trip button repeatedly until menu ?19 Lock On? appears
5) As soon as 00 appears below it, immediately keep pressing the Trip button until this figure reads the same as the total number of the last five digits of the chassis number which were added together previously
6) Wait momentarily until menu 01.__ appears, and then press the Trip to get menu 07.__, and the temp. will appear.
If the car is started from this menu, you will get a continuous temp. read-out until the ignition is switched off again.

Fix: replace thermostat
Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM
hmc
Senior Members

Also:

- Pressure Regulating Valve. Symptoms: Engine rough on start and eventually the emission light came on (Service engine soon + Increased emission).
Fix: Replace them. DIY: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=85337
Old 09-24-2011, 08:17 AM
hmc
Senior Members

Recently happened to me:
- Service Engine Soon (P1434): caused by bad Leak Diagnosis Pump (also called DTML pump).
Fix: https://5series.net/forums/topic/113...rror-code-550/