E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 Charging Fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an E60 and everything works fine except for a Charging Fault.

I can drive the car for 3000KM without an error and all of a suddon the car gives me a Charging Fault in the navigation screen and a red battery jumps up in the main screen.

Description:
This message may come up once to three times. After the first message it stops charging. It takes me one to two days of driving and then the battery wares out. Just before the navigation screen goes black all electronics fail and I get gearbox faillure ABS faillure PDC faillure Tire Pressure faillure etc etc. then the screen goes blank but the engine stays running. I shut down the engine and try to start but I only get a click because the battery has no power. I wait 5 to 10 minutes and start again, the battery has just enough power to start and from that moment all memory of the Board Computer is gone. Weirdest thing is, from that moment on it starts charging the battery with 150 amps even with all electronics like seat heater airco light etc on!

I did not buy this car at a dealership and they want to help me but I have to make an appointment and I have to wait 4 weeks for an appointment.

I checked all forums. I can come up with 4 causes:
  • Alternator issues (high voltage spikes that IBS sensor picks up end stop charging the battery)
  • IBS problem (replace sensor)
  • Reprogram computer (reprogram computer to learn how the battery works)
  • Wirering fault (maybe oxcidation of ground or lose cable)

Did anybody get the same error and how did they fix it?

Please post solutions that helped to fix "Charging Fault" error on BMW E60. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60RHN' post='1081672' date='Dec 30 2009, 08:26 AM
I bought an E60 and everything works fine except for a Charging Fault.

I can drive the car for 3000KM without an error and all of a suddon the car gives me a Charging Fault in the navigation screen and a red battery jumps up in the main screen.

Description:
This message may come up once to three times. After the first message it stops charging. It takes me one to two days of driving and then the battery wares out. Just before the navigation screen goes black all electronics fail and I get gearbox faillure ABS faillure PDC faillure Tire Pressure faillure etc etc. then the screen goes blank but the engine stays running. I shut down the engine and try to start but I only get a click because the battery has no power. I wait 5 to 10 minutes and start again, the battery has just enough power to start and from that moment all memory of the Board Computer is gone. Weirdest thing is, from that moment on it starts charging the battery with 150 amps even with all electronics like seat heater airco light etc on!

I did not buy this car at a dealership and they want to help me but I have to make an appointment and I have to wait 4 weeks for an appointment.

I checked all forums. I can come up with 4 causes:
  • Alternator issues (high voltage spikes that IBS sensor picks up end stop charging the battery)
  • IBS problem (replace sensor)
  • Reprogram computer (reprogram computer to learn how the battery works)
  • Wirering fault (maybe oxcidation of ground or lose cable)

Did anybody get the same error and how did they fix it?

Please post solutions that helped to fix "Charging Fault" error on BMW E60. Thanks in advance.
Well my car is currently at the dealer for this issue. I believe its an alternator problem. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Members

My Solution!

I happened to find a cheap used alternator by accident and just bought it. I replaced the alternator and ever since the problem is gone. I don't know what was wrong with the old one. Even though it charged fine some days and didn't the other day, the new alternator seems to work perfectly.

I hope this helps for anyone haveing the same problem.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D touring black navi pro hifi pro heated seats sport seats active steering .....

Hi all,

It happend to me yesterday.suddenly the steering became very very hard almost not to turn and more faults messeges. I went to the dealer today and they need to make a dyagnose and wil contact me later. i will let you know when i know more. only shit now extra casts.

Chim
Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d

Originally Posted by chim
Hi all,

It happend to me yesterday.suddenly the steering became very very hard almost not to turn and more faults messeges. I went to the dealer today and they need to make a dyagnose and wil contact me later. i will let you know when i know more. only shit now extra casts.

Chim
hi.
how resolve Your problem?
looks like it happens to me.
fault comes out and steering was very very hard. also there was smell like burned rubber.
i think about 3 reasons
alternator no charging
or
problems with steering pump
or some wire short to negative
Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545/SMG Sport Package HUD Logic 7 Bluetooth NAV Cold Weather Package

I had the same problem, it was the alternator. Perhaps the bearing on your alternator has seized the additional friction is preventing the p/s pump from running at optimal speed.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kxmills
I had the same problem, it was the alternator. Perhaps the bearing on your alternator has seized the additional friction is preventing the p/s pump from running at optimal speed.
ok, You say that alternator is driven by the same belt as steering pump and so if the problem is bearing or something with alternator so the engine is hard to turn both of them, and thats why steering is hard and alternator not charges. correct?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Senior Members

Same problem here, it was the alternator.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Members

mine wasnt alternator but another thing
Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM
New Members

Hi

I am having the exact same problem can anyone suggest how they resolved this issue. I can also smell burning rubber and the air con is only letting out warm air. The steering wheel is also very hard.

Quick Reply: E60 Charging Fault