E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 changes back gears in auto when going down steep hills

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: LCI E60 Individual (Onyx Blue, Piano Black trim, Marino Leather) M Sport Package, 19" M172 wheels, Sunroof, Professional Navigation, HUD, TV function, Voice Recognition, PDC, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Logic 7, iPod/USB Adapter, Xeon Headlights, Adaptive Headlights, High Beam Assist. Build completed August 2007.

My ride to and from work includes a couple of steep hills. With the transmission in Auto, the car changes back down a gear (sometimes 2) going down these hills. Obvious result is a car in the wrong gear screaming at about 1000-2000 RPM greater than it should be . Usually I am either braking slightly, or have lifted my foot off the accelerator when this occurs.

Solution is to put the car into 'manual' and change gears up to where it should be, then revert back to auto when the car starts up the hill.

Anyone else have similar auto transmission issues ?? Not using cruise control or anything else. Only happens going down very steep hills and doesn't occur all the time, just often enough to make it annoying...
Old 06-19-2008, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Do you have an Xi? If so, is it possible that you activated the hill decent control?

If you don't have an Xi, you could try the following reset procedure to see if that helps:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40018

The adaptive nature of the transmission does take into account hills, etc. so there may be something messed up with the program...
Old 06-19-2008, 03:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Originally Posted by Murray' post='605655' date='Jun 19 2008, 10:11 AM
My ride to and from work includes a couple of steep hills. With the transmission in Auto, the car changes back down a gear (sometimes 2) going down these hills. Obvious result is a car in the wrong gear screaming at about 1000-2000 RPM greater than it should be . Usually I am either braking slightly, or have lifted my foot off the accelerator when this occurs.

Solution is to put the car into 'manual' and change gears up to where it should be, then revert back to auto when the car starts up the hill.

Anyone else have similar auto transmission issues ?? Not using cruise control or anything else. Only happens going down very steep hills and doesn't occur all the time, just often enough to make it annoying...
In the 2 BMWs with 'standard' auto boxes I have owned, this is completely normal behavior.
Engaging a lower gear increases engine braking and gives you more control.....
Old 06-19-2008, 04:20 AM
Members

Yes, mine does the exact same thing, although strangely it wouldn't do it recently so maybe it's "learned" that I don't like it!
It's very annoying, especially with passengers in the car - they look at you like it's your fault.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

My car does the exact same thing when slowing down. I think the Steptronic Trans. is actually trying to slow the car down via engine braking and also attempting to keep the car in the powerband should you have to accelerate right away.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both my e60 and e90 do this...

It's one of the little things that make me love my BMW...

I wish my truck would do this too so I don't go barreling down hills and have to ride the brakes
Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2004 530d. Poverty spec

If you're going down a steep hill with your foot on the brake, then frankly, you're doing it wrong. You'll just end up with cooked brakes. Engine braking (by changing down) is much more mechanically sympathetic.

People-who-haven't-been-brought-up-on-autos FTW
Old 06-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Thats normal. even for regular non xi steptronics.

Driving downhill
If the EGS control unit detects downhill driving, it will automatically shift down a gear if the vehicle's speed picks
up. This enhances the engine's braking effect. A downshift is only effected if the engine speed is below the
maximum speed of the lower gear.
The EGS control unit detects downhill driving on the basis of signals from the throttle valve potentiometer (load),
wheel speed sensor (road speed) and brake light switch (brake activation).

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?autocom=ga...si&img=2002
Old 06-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by boltoa' post='605757' date='Jun 19 2008, 10:00 AM
If you're going down a steep hill with your foot on the brake, then frankly, you're doing it wrong. You'll just end up with cooked brakes. Engine braking (by changing down) is much more mechanically sympathetic.

People-who-haven't-been-brought-up-on-autos FTW

I would not say I'm doing it wrong...sometimes I just coast down the hill to an unsafe speed and then brake. I down shift when it's approriate. I live in a hilly urban enviroment and I'm not going to drive my 16 year old beater like a manual, it was not designed to be. I guess my point was the BMWs anticipate the needed gear and chooses it before before or during the situation. The ford picks the highest(not lowest) capable gear and runs with it. Besides brakes are cheaper than a transmission with 115,000 miles.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Murray' post='605655' date='Jun 19 2008, 02:11 AM
Obvious result is a car in the wrong gear screaming at about 1000-2000 RPM greater than it should be .
are you sure that is "screaming"? I hope you're not babying your ride. Unless, yours is a desel.

The RPM should hardly below 2000, if not, you are "loading" the engine.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: E60 changes back gears in auto when going down steep hills