E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Car Audio (2010 535i)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i M-Sport 6MT / 2005 E46 M3 Cabrio (AA Stage 2 Supercharged)
Default E60 Car Audio (2010 535i)

Hey all,

I love my new 5 series; but I really really hate the sound system. It's the base system (no NAV). I sold a G35 that I put a lot of work into audio-wise and now I'm spoiled. So I've been doing a lot of research.

Looking to go with an off-board audio processor (Alpine H800 or Audison Bitone probably). I'll end up running all new wires for the speakers to avoid all the built in crossover hassles and do some sound deadening while I'm at it.

I guess my question is this; I have the non Logic7 base-stereo. This thing doesn't have any sort of digital output. I'd like to upgrade it to the Logic7 or do whatever I need to do for a clean digital output signal. Can I do that with just software (get the current MASK recoded) or do I need to find a used Logic7 box?

Thanks all,

Jeremy
2010 535i M-Sport 6MT (JB4)
2005 M3 Cabrio (AA Stage 2 SC, Methanol, etc etc)
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

This is possibly what you are looking for.

Vehicle Compatibility Guide | mObridge

I am personally running the Audison BitOne in my car, fed by the Logic7 amplifier.
Very pleased with Audison across the board.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM
New Members

Thanks subterFUSE; I had run across this device in my searching. I'm not sure how well this will work in my OEM setup because the front speakers are not actually powered by an external amplifier; but but by the MASK unit directly.

I was hoping to get better audio quality by trying to get a Logic7 digital signal from the HU and then connecting THAT digital signal into a processor. I'm not looking for the cheapest route - just the "best" route.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have about 3 or 4 years of experience with my Audison system in my E60, plus I just did an Audison amplifier upgrade to my system earlier this week. I'll give you a little of my experience thus far:

First point to make is that I started with the Logic7 stereo, so I am not 100% familiar with how your factory stereo works. The Logic 7 has an outboard amplifer located in the trunk. To connect my BitOne we took the speaker-level outputs from the amp and connected them to the High Level inputs on the BitOne. I have been pleased with this method thus far.

An important factor to keep in mind is that the E60 uses the stereo system for more than just playing music. Many of the car's audible notifications are done via the stereo: Seat belt warnings, iDrive warnings, instrument cluster warnings, park distance control, pretty much everything that makes an auditory sound does so through the stereo system. When you connect an aftermarket processor like the BitOne, it means you'll be playing these sounds through your aftermarket system. Everything works fine this way, but if you switch your BitOne to listen to an AUX input (for example, if you connect an iPod directly to the BitOne) then you will lose all of your car's audible warnings until you switch the input source back. If your car already has an iPod connection with the factory radio, then this won't affect you. But if you're using any of the other inputs on the BitOne then you'll be affected.

Mobridge makes the DA-1000 preamp which can take the MOST Bus digital signal before it hits the factory amplfier and output a digital signal directly to your processor. However, there is something to consider before going with the Mobridge. The digital signal output from Mobridge is only a stereo signal. Why does this matter? The E60 uses multi-channel processing for the Park Distance sensors, sending the beeps to the corresponding speaker location. (i.e. rear sensors beep rear speakers, front sensors in front, left/right side etc..)
If you use the Mobridge, you will lose the location of those audio sounds since the multi-channel signal gets converted to digital stereo.
When you use the factory amp signal to the BitOne, you retain all of the directional signals.

Another question to consider, and one to which I do not have an answer myself, is whether or not the E60 iPod connection bypasses the iPod internal D/A converter. If it does not bypass the iPod DAC, then I would not personally recommend going with the Mobridge option. You'll be better off just running an Apple composite cable into the AUX input on the BitOne. (This is what I'm doing now) This way you minimize the number of times the audio signal gets converted A/D & D/A.

Another option for connecting an iPod/iPhone I just recently learned about is the iStreamer 12V.
High Resolution Technologies - iStreamer-12V

This little device is an external D/A converter for iDevices which works on a car's 12V power. It does bypass the iPod DAC, and sends out a high quality analog output. And it will do this while charging your iDevice too. I have been putting some serious thought into buying an iStreamer for my car. They run about $220.

Lastly, there is a way to get a fully digital signal from an iPad. I have a little box from Cables To Go which links up to the iPad via a USB cable and the iPad camera adapter. The box then outputs an optical digital output. You can run that optical directly into the BitOne. Only downside is that you can't charge your iPad while it's connected to this device.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
This is possibly what you are looking for.

Vehicle Compatibility Guide | mObridge

I am personally running the Audison BitOne in my car, fed by the Logic7 amplifier.
Very pleased with Audison across the board.
Hey nice setup with the mobriidge and the Audison. I have been putting off doing my audio setup for the past 6 months, damn engine mods are a little more addicting. Hopefully after my ER FMIC upgrade I can direct my attention to the audio upgrade.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Hey nice setup with the mobriidge and the Audison. I have been putting off doing my audio setup for the past 6 months, damn engine mods are a little more addicting. Hopefully after my ER FMIC upgrade I can direct my attention to the audio upgrade.
I don't have the Mobridge. Just an Audison system that's fed by the Logic7 amplifer.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 AM
New Members

That's great info and exactly what I was looking for Thanks all.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Can u guys answer me this,, whats the difference between Mobride, and Audison v.s installing any regular amplifier,,, Also is the iStreamer like some kind of filter to enhance clarity on ur device... will it work if using the 3.5 mm aux jack..??
Old 03-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by H F
Can u guys answer me this,, whats the difference between Mobride, and Audison v.s installing any regular amplifier,,, Also is the iStreamer like some kind of filter to enhance clarity on ur device... will it work if using the 3.5 mm aux jack..??
Mobridge is a preamplifier that can interface with the MOST bus signal that goes from your BMW factory head unit to the factory stereo amplifier. It grabs the digital signal before the amp gets it, and the outputs a digital preamp output which can be fed into an aftermarket system.

The Audison BitOne is an aftermarket DSP processor which helps you to integrate an aftermarket stereo system into a car's existing stereo. You can take the speaker level outputs from your factory amplifier and feed them into the BitOne. The BitOne will de-equalize the signal, allow you to do some serious processing with crossovers, equalizers, and time alignment... and then output a high quality preamp signal that can be used to feed aftermarket amps and speakers.

iStreamer is a portable Digital to Analog converter designed for Apple iPods/iPads. It bypasses the internal DA converter in the Apple device and feeds a clean. High quality analog output which can be used as a source for an aftermarket system. For example, I could use the iStreamer to plug into the AUX input on my Audison BitOne to be able to listen to my iPod with a cleaner signal than if I used an Apple audio output cable.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:13 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Mobridge is a preamplifier that can interface with the MOST bus signal that goes from your BMW factory head unit to the factory stereo amplifier. It grabs the digital signal before the amp gets it, and the outputs a digital preamp output which can be fed into an aftermarket system.

The Audison BitOne is an aftermarket DSP processor which helps you to integrate an aftermarket stereo system into a car's existing stereo. You can take the speaker level outputs from your factory amplifier and feed them into the BitOne. The BitOne will de-equalize the signal, allow you to do some serious processing with crossovers, equalizers, and time alignment... and then output a high quality preamp signal that can be used to feed aftermarket amps and speakers.

iStreamer is a portable Digital to Analog converter designed for Apple iPods/iPads. It bypasses the internal DA converter in the Apple device and feeds a clean. High quality analog output which can be used as a source for an aftermarket system. For example, I could use the iStreamer to plug into the AUX input on my Audison BitOne to be able to listen to my iPod with a cleaner signal than if I used an Apple audio output cable.
thanks for the explination,, But okay,,i have a 300 4channel amp puhing the stock factory speakers, and a 500 pushing my woofer..and a additional EQ.. will a mobride give me a better sound ,, ? Will it make that much of a difference in quality, then what i have now..... ??

Quick Reply: E60 Car Audio (2010 535i)