E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 auto trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60
Default e60 auto trans problem

I have a 2004 BMW 530i auto trans, the car shifts fine but during hard accelartion after 100km the car has a a delay and hard slam which then gives trans malfunction messgage. If I drive normally the car shifts no problem. What could it be? No leaks from oil pan.

Code give EGS ratio monitoring, gearshift 4-5

Really need some insight on this problem
Old 02-25-2015, 03:23 PM
New Members

Bump
Old 02-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 299 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

How many km do you have on the car would be good to know. Their are a lot of threads covering this exact thing. Might be a little different but it all is the same. Has the fluid and pan/filter been changed. Are the gears slipping? How long have you owned the car (meaning do you know its history)? How do you know it is not leaking? Have you checked around the mechatronic sleeve for leaks. For you to have a trans problem your initial comment is vague. For anyone to help you out we need a little more effort in to it, we are talking about a possible $6000 fix which can be avoided with the right info.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:22 PM
New Members

The car has 143,000km, had the car for two months, I know the transmission pan and oil filter and so has never been changed, it shifts smoothly through all gears, BUT during hard accelartion on the highway there is a hard kickdown from gear 4-5, basically you put your foot down the pedal no response for 1-2 seconds then a hard slam into gear
Old 02-25-2015, 08:25 PM
New Members

I checked the car on a hoist and there is no leaks from the transmission oil pan, threw a code I checked with inpa
EGS:ratio monitoring, gearshift 4-5
Old 02-26-2015, 02:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

please see DIY section for the transmission thread. welcome to the club. ZF sucks.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Ok I will give you what I did to correct my issue and there is a DIY for this on this forum. It is up to you what you want to do but here it goes. 4 years ago I was having the same issue with my 05 530i @80K. I could not drive the car unless I drove like my wife because everytime I got in it, it would go into safe mode when I accelerated hard also it would do the slam into first at a stop when stopping fast. So my wife has been driving the car since with zero issues so in a sense there is not an issue with the trans just the driver. When I took my car to the dealer multiple times they did a software update x2, told me there was nothing wrong and then said I needed a new trans which I knew was not the case because it was not slipping. I got back from Belgium Dec 14 and decided to get rid of the car but my wife wanted to keep it so I did some research. It turns out the issue could be a few things. The ESD solenoids, gaskets (cracked not providing the pressure needed), or fluid. So I thought about it and decided I did not want to drop the pan more than once and decided to fix everything it could be. The new solenoids cost around $400. So I did more research and found a guy who can rebuild my valve body for $600 (new solenoids and better gaskets with a lifetime warranty) so I took this option. This left me with getting a couple of parts that needed to be changed that sits between the valve body and trans which were 5 gaskets and bought the fluid and pan with me spending a total of $900.

Some people are changing the bridge adapter between the valve body and trans with success some not. The issue is if you just do that, that might correct one issue and you find that there is more than one once you fix the first. I have had my valve body fixed for 1 month and driving the hell out of it with only one issue but nothing serious just an information message in INPA. I am glad I did this. I was without my car for 10 days waiting on everything to come in and the valve body to return but once I put it back in and reset the trans adaptions everything has been working like it was when I drove off the lot. I do not know if you are mechanically inclined but this was the first time I did something so serious and I had no idea what I was doing. I completed the valvebody drop in 2hrs or less (I had a complication with a bolt) and did the reinstall in 90 mins.
It was well worth it for me. A new/reman Valve body cost around $1500 plus you have to spend around $300 for pan, oil and gaskets. Getting this done at an indy will cost around $1800 total. The link below is a DIY thread that you should follow if you choose to do this yourself or want to get more info. This is why I said search and you will find what you are looking for.

KyleB's 6HP19 service thread
Old 02-26-2015, 04:45 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

I have had many emails with seanjordan20 and decided to take his advice
But I have been able to also get my transmission working prior to removing the valave body last weekend with his help

I have had it rebuilt with new solenoids in China
They even gave me a refund on the solenoids that were working okay because they rebuild them

I have also bought a adaptor seal that I will fit

The valve body arrived home this morning so I will fit it on Sunday with a new filter and fluid and let everyone know how it went

I am not able to reset the adaptors as yet because my cable has not arrived

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Ok I will give you what I did to correct my issue and there is a DIY for this on this forum. It is up to you what you want to do but here it goes. 4 years ago I was having the same issue with my 05 530i @80K. I could not drive the car unless I drove like my wife because everytime I got in it, it would go into safe mode when I accelerated hard also it would do the slam into first at a stop when stopping fast. So my wife has been driving the car since with zero issues so in a sense there is not an issue with the trans just the driver. When I took my car to the dealer multiple times they did a software update x2, told me there was nothing wrong and then said I needed a new trans which I knew was not the case because it was not slipping. I got back from Belgium Dec 14 and decided to get rid of the car but my wife wanted to keep it so I did some research. It turns out the issue could be a few things. The ESD solenoids, gaskets (cracked not providing the pressure needed), or fluid. So I thought about it and decided I did not want to drop the pan more than once and decided to fix everything it could be. The new solenoids cost around $400. So I did more research and found a guy who can rebuild my valve body for $600 (new solenoids and better gaskets with a lifetime warranty) so I took this option. This left me with getting a couple of parts that needed to be changed that sits between the valve body and trans which were 5 gaskets and bought the fluid and pan with me spending a total of $900.

Some people are changing the bridge adapter between the valve body and trans with success some not. The issue is if you just do that, that might correct one issue and you find that there is more than one once you fix the first. I have had my valve body fixed for 1 month and driving the hell out of it with only one issue but nothing serious just an information message in INPA. I am glad I did this. I was without my car for 10 days waiting on everything to come in and the valve body to return but once I put it back in and reset the trans adaptions everything has been working like it was when I drove off the lot. I do not know if you are mechanically inclined but this was the first time I did something so serious and I had no idea what I was doing. I completed the valvebody drop in 2hrs or less (I had a complication with a bolt) and did the reinstall in 90 mins.
It was well worth it for me. A new/reman Valve body cost around $1500 plus you have to spend around $300 for pan, oil and gaskets. Getting this done at an indy will cost around $1800 total. The link below is a DIY thread that you should follow if you choose to do this yourself or want to get more info. This is why I said search and you will find what you are looking for.

KyleB's 6HP19 service thread
Old 02-26-2015, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks to KyleB I know more about these transmissions than I care to know. I did a lot of homework on them but it paid off.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:19 PM
New Members

I'm opening the pan tomorrow will update.

Also as a side note I'm pretty sure the fluid has never been changed

Quick Reply: e60 auto trans problem