E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 'Auto' Air Con

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525iSE 2004 AUTO 18'' star 124 alloys bluetooth with iphone cradle orient Blue Gray leather multi CD

Hi All

New to the forum so hello to you all
Just purchased a 2004 535ise with 'basic' air con, and as i am sure many of your are aware its not that auto!! from reading forums it seems that there is an update available somewhere can anybody confirm the situation?? I have my car booked in to BMW next week for the bluetooth to be upgraded for the iphone so i would like this done at the same time, i have spoken to my dealer and BMW (G who seem to have no knowledge of this problem. All i want is for my Auto air to work so that once i have pushed auto and set the temp the car does the rest

Any help and comments would be so welcomed

Thank you
Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by hatton955' post='558645' date='Apr 9 2008, 10:25 AM
Hi All

Just purchased a 2004 535ise with 'basic' air con, and as i am sure many of your are aware its not that auto!! from reading forums it seems that there is an update available somewhere can anybody confirm the situation?? I have my car booked in to BMW next week for the bluetooth to be upgraded for the iphone so i would like this done at the same time, i have spoken to my dealer and BMW (G who seem to have no knowledge of this problem. All i want is for my Auto air to work so that once i have pushed auto and set the temp the car does the rest

Thank you
Congrats on the new (to you) car and enjoy the forums!! BTW, did your car come with the manual?? That should have the answer.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i E61 123 wheels auto leather heated seats auto tailgate business navigation

Originally Posted by hatton955' post='558645' date='Apr 9 2008, 05:25 PM
Hi All

Thank you
I have a 'basic' climate control too (525i 2004) but mine works just fine. It is set always on AUTO. The temp is manually selected and that is it. It then controls the fan speed and direction. Have you read the owner's manual? Am not aware of any upgrade software for the climate control. I never touch my climate control it just does its job.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by las77' post='558657' date='Apr 9 2008, 05:50 PM
I have a 'basic' climate control too (525i 2004) but mine works just fine. It is set always on AUTO. The temp is manually selected and that is it. It then controls the fan speed and direction. Have you read the owner's manual? Am not aware of any upgrade software for the climate control. I never touch my climate control it just does its job.
Yup, there is a software upgrade to fix this! This was a bug with the very early versions! (We're talking v11!!!)

The bit I don't get is 535i? (E39 only)
Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 525iSE 2004 AUTO 18'' star 124 alloys bluetooth with iphone cradle orient Blue Gray leather multi CD

Originally Posted by colejl' post='558671' date='Apr 9 2008, 07:20 PM
Yup, there is a software upgrade to fix this! This was a bug with the very early versions! (We're talking v11!!!)

The bit I don't get is 535i? (E39 only)
thank you all for the quick replies, sorry typing error its 525i se......................................Sorry!!

I do have the owners manual and it states that it should work fully auto, howver mine clearly does not. I have found out that my car was built dec 2003 registered Sept 04 so it may well have the early software which i hope will be updated free by BMW
If anyone can add anything further so i can approach the dealer with some hard info please let me know, once again many thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hatton955' post='558675' date='Apr 9 2008, 06:31 PM
thank you all for the quick replies, sorry typing error its 525i se......................................Sorry!!

I do have the owners manual and it states that it should work fully auto, howver mine clearly does not. I have found out that my car was built dec 2003 registered Sept 04 so it may well have the early software which i hope will be updated free by BMW
If anyone can add anything further so i can approach the dealer with some hard info please let me know, once again many thanks
Built around the same time as mine! The fault is definitely with the iDrive software, mine did this until they upgraded the software. With the auto button on the temperature dial defines whether hot or cold air is delivered... The minute you touch the direction or speed of the aircon the auto button turns off...

However, expect almost all dealers and technicians to deny everything and know nothing about this! Indeed, you will probably have to pay an outrageous amount for them to apply it because you're out of warranty? Ask them to confirm the software version, it will be v11 - riddled with bugs... My car also had problems with seat and steering wheel memory that was also fixed - v13 from memory...

Indeed, you may of found some posts about dealers claiming this was normal behaviour and working to specification - it is not!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='558707' date='Apr 9 2008, 08:45 PM
Built around the same time as mine! The fault is definitely with the iDrive software, mine did this until they upgraded the software. With the auto button on the temperature dial defines whether hot or cold air is delivered... The minute you touch the direction or speed of the aircon the auto button turns off...

However, expect almost all dealers and technicians to deny everything and know nothing about this! Indeed, you will probably have to pay an outrageous amount for them to apply it because you're out of warranty? Ask them to confirm the software version, it will be v11 - riddled with bugs... My car also had problems with seat and steering wheel memory that was also fixed - v13 from memory...

Indeed, you may of found some posts about dealers claiming this was normal behaviour and working to specification - it is not!!!
Thank you you have been a great help, i will approach the dealer and take it from there

Cheers
Old 04-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

probably It's my knowledge of the English language but I don't understand the problem here and what the software changes pre/post update. Please enlighten me as this may be a problem my car has: (or better; another annoyance I have with this car)

In my 2005, when I hit 'auto' it does things by itself to get to the temp on the dial. I can adjust the intensity in the i-drive menu (faster or slower getting to the temp requested) and I can change the temp of the center vent by the i-drive menu as it seems to operate separately from the rest of the world (as in the E39).

when I change the amounts vented in the top/center/footwell the 'auto' button's LED switches off. Hit 'auto' again and vent amounts return to some preset.

Had a post-LCI recently and it had the 'hit 'auto' more often and select the preset behaviour (fast/middle/slow) sequentially' but mine hasn't got that.

What I find annoying is that when the car is left in the sun and I take off, the temp is gradually brought to the requested amount (more or less) as the preset is set. So it does not cool quickly and then reduce airflow to a preset level. This means that often it takes way too long to cool down (black car) but when I change the preset to faster, it keeps venting too loudly even when the temp is reached.
Also, the airco has 'issues' with traffic jams: the whole thing doesn't function properly so I turn to changing the preset to faster and the temp down to kick it into action. But when I move at 50kmh plus speeds, it starts to work properly again and it can do its job in 'medium' mode.

My question: is my car's airco behavior normal or is it not and would a software update change it's behaviour? The last question because I was told by the dealer that last time all updatable software was updated.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='558739
when I change the amounts vented in the top/center/footwell the 'auto' button's LED switches off. Hit 'auto' again and vent amounts return to some preset.

Had a post-LCI recently and it had the 'hit 'auto' more often and select the preset behaviour (fast/middle/slow) sequentially' but mine hasn't got that.
As described above that is correct behaviour. It's not a 'preset' but it's software controlled depending on the interior sensor readings - however, it can't read your mind about the way you want it to work...

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='558739
My question: is my car's airco behavior normal or is it not and would a software update change it's behaviour? The last question because I was told by the dealer that last time all updatable software was updated.
Sounds normal to me!

Quick Reply: E60 'Auto' Air Con