E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 Amplifier Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2009 E60 520d. I ordered the car new with the Hi-Fi upgrade (NOT Logic 7).

I have now received my Jehnert 'Flatline' speaker package but need to clarify whether I have a 2 or 4 channel amplifier in the car's audio set up (this appears to dictate whether I need to use the supplied Jehnert crossover unit for their bass units).

Does anybody know the spec of the factory amplifier that formed part of the 'Hi-Fi' upgrade?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Members

My Ride: A4
Model Year: 2017

4-channel amplifier.

I also installed the Jehnert package, but I used a Kenwood excelon X600F to drive the Jehnert speakers. I have one pair of channels driving the mids and highs through their crossover and the other pair of channels bridged and driving the woofers. Initially the sound was somewhat weak in the low end and there was a dip in the low to mid area, but some twiddling of the bass boost knob and crossover points on the amplifier have left me very happy with the results.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:33 AM
Members

Many thanks Nyulak!

I'll see how I get on with the Jehnert upgrade and the standard amplifier. I don't want to spend a lot on upgrading the audio.

I was on the verge of changing the car for a new F11 but sanity prevailed and I have decided to keep it for another three years; hence my decision to buy the Jehnerts.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe HIFI sound has only 2 channel amp not 4. It only drives the underseat subs, all other mids/tweeters are powered by the head unit.
Best check with an expert like Technic to be sure though.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
I believe HIFI sound has only 2 channel amp not 4. It only drives the underseat subs, all other mids/tweeters are powered by the head unit.
Best check with an expert like Technic to be sure though.
+1. I think you will get a much better upgrade by adding a center channel speaker, JBL MS-8, and a technics wiring harness.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/124...-ms-8-install/
Old 08-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Members

Sorry about that, it is a 2-ch amplifier. I made an assumption based on being able to fade the audio.

There is a PDF lurking on this forum that explains everything. I found this bit on the HiFi amplifier in it:

HiFi Amplifier

The HiFi amplifier is designed as an analogue two-channel amplifier with an output power

of 2x40 W. The HiFi amplifier is connected via two channels to the M-ASK. The input signals

are amplified via integrated band filters and bridge-type output stages to 2x40 W and

output to the central woofers.

The control takes place via the M-ASK. Due to the distribution of the output stages in the

M-ASK and in the HiFi amplifier, the output stages must be switched on/off synchronously.

The time required to switch on the output stages must not exceed 25 ms to ensure no

crackling or clicking noise is heard.

The HiFi amplifier does not feature diagnostic capabilities.

The HiFi amplifier is installed on the rear left in the luggage compartment.

You can find the PDF in this thread: E60 Audio Information
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Members

Guys

Thank you for your replies and advice.

I'd love to also install a centre speaker and JBL MS-8 at a later date. I'm trying to get hold of the p'n'p harness that member Technic has produced. Hopefully this reads across to a UK spec car.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 AM
Members

Can anybody who has installed the Jehnert kit tell me whether I can run the mids and tweeters without the supplied crossover?

The box is so big that I can't find anyway to mount it in the door and the door wire connector looks like a nightmare to try to route the cables through into the car.

Having opened up the crossover box I can see that the Jehnert guys worked really hard to get it into the smallest box possible (!)

I am sure I will be sacrificing performance but after about an hour and a half of head scratching and research I haven't come up with a way of mounting the crossovers.

My thoughts at the moment are to connect it all up as per the factory arrangement.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Members

I wish I could answer, but I took it to an installer and waited. I don't know exactly where the items were placed, but I know they ran new wire, so I imagine they went through the pain you are describing.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:44 AM
Members

Thanks Nyaluk.

Do you know if your crossovers were mounted in the doors?

I really don't want to run without the crossovers but can't see an easy(ish) way forward.

Quick Reply: E60 Amplifier Advice Please