E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

The fact that it has happened to two people on the forum, it sorta smacks of either a manufacturing fault, bad design from a stress point of view, or a lack of product testing before release. On saying that, the pothole does look like a mean little b'tard.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Im going with the third choice. I dont think BMW did enough testing before this car came out. Seat heater problem, did they not test the seat heaters. The glitches are the worst. I dont think the testing cars had the i-drive.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:50 PM

Wow that is kinda spooky, hope mine don't give out like that. That is ugly
Old 01-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Contributors

oops , forgot to log in
Old 01-20-2005, 03:58 PM
JDN
Contributors

This is one of a row of reflectors that I chose to drive over. For those that are not familiar with the story, these are a pyramid that comes to a point and 3 1/4" high. I hit them at 3:30 am when they looked like a normal row of very closely spaced reflectors. I wouldn't expect a low profile wheel to survive this encounter. I was the fourth to be towed with two flats that day. All four wheels and tires needed replacing.
Attached Thumbnails E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked-insinuator.gif  
Old 01-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Members

My Ride: Met Blue2004 530iSE Sport Body Kit, 18" alloys with RFT (and no Jack or spare!!!)
Question

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jan 21 2005, 01:01 AM
Sorry about the wheel. I see you are in Scotland, but the wives here in the US frequently lie about what they hit and the severity of a hit when returning their husband's car damaged.
Just a thought.

Here's a picture of my car after my wife "supposedly" hit a bird doing 30mph.

Sorry, only kidding. It does seem that the E60 have had more than their share of problems. I have never joined a forum before concerning a car that I was driving so we might just be subject to many more issues then you would ever come across. I know when I read something a sort of hypochondria sets in, as I think I have the A/C pulley problem I read here but my dealer says no. Do other cars listed in onlune forum have this much trouble ?
[snapback]81296[/snapback]
Pennetta, the more I thought about it the more I think you may be right! She did travel 50 miles (80km) in half an hour and on a twisty country road. I have started divorce proceedings. I have applied for custody of her Audi TT and will let her keep the kids and the house is now on the market.

P.S. In the pictures you posted your wheels look OK, how much for the set?

P.P.S. BMW have sourced a wheel by overnight courier but haven't mentioned costs as yet. The pictures of the other damaged wheels posted are scarily similar to the damage on my own wheel. I do accept the fact that the wheel will take more impact with the run flat and also that the run flat may have in this instance saved the car from going of the road! There was only a scratch on the rim of the wheel probably due to the run flat absorbing the impact.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I would definitely put a claim into the council. Probably a waste of time, but worth a go.

Bent rim is one thing, but this crack is terrible. Got to BMW. This is a serious problem, *IF* the impact wasn't huge.

If BMW don't respond positively, SEND THE PHOTO TO AUTOEXPRESS
Old 01-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Senior Members

I agree with Banglebox. The wheel shouldn't have split like that. I assume your wife drove both wheels over the same pot hole so why did only one fracture? It sounds like a manufacturing defect to me. BMW GB used to advertise the quality of their wheels over 3rd party copies by showing an x-ray photo of an alloy with a hairline crack saying that BMW quality assurance is this stringent. If your dealer won't submit it as a warranty claim or BMW don't cough up the cost of a replacement, write to all of the car mags. You can e-mail them the pics and get their help to pressure BMW to supply a new wheel.

After all, what is the cost of one wheel for BMW vs negative publicity in the motoring press!

The runflat should make no difference to the rim. Alloy is harder than rubber and should not crack like this.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I agree with the masses that is completly ludacrist that a wheel should split like that, well if you brought that useless wheel insurancr now is the time to use it
Old 01-21-2005, 03:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by buddy' date='Jan 21 2005, 10:47 AM
I agree with the masses that is completly ludacrist that a wheel should split like that,? well if you brought that useless wheel insurancr now is the time to use it
I'll join in and agree too

Definitely claim from local council - It's rather ironic that claims are preventing road repairs in the first place though

I remember reading that millions is claimed in compensation for this sort of thing! But we live in a litigation crazy society nowadays

Quick Reply: E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked