E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Originally Posted by das' post='216125' date='Dec 27 2005, 09:21 PM
I don't believe this is a safety issue. Please note I am NOT saying it's not dangerous to have a wheel split in two while driving. What I AM saying is that I do not believe this represents a broad safety issue with E60 and/or Style 124 wheels. We do not have enough data, from a statistical standpoint, to make any determinations in the context of asserting a defect with Style 124, nor are there enough occurrences to represent anything else other than a freak, extremely isolated issue. I hate to say it, but if some failure mode is associated with x number out of tens, or hundreds, of thousands of wheels globally, and x is a very small number, I don't personally believe it to be a major issue. Further, I don't believe that any sales advisor would be pushing wheel and tire insurance because they "know" that Style 124s fail. They're pushing it to make money, period.
I hate to disagree with the adminstrator, but...
it is true we have not done a statistical analysis, but I feel pretty safe saying that the most common rim is the 138 - and therefore someone with 138 should report a split.

I know you need number with statistical significane to prove that, and it is possible due to some fluke that only the 124's are reported with this problem, and there is a good chance here that many more than the normal of BMW owners have the 124 rims because of the type of people who tend to post here, but..

It is very stong evidence that the problem lies in the 124 rims

As far as a major safety issue - no clue - the firestone thing was a combination of the wrong tire on the wrong car - to make it that serious you need many factors to come into play - and hopefully the BMW is so well designed that a complete blow out would not put anyones life in danger.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ahightower' post='221888
Originally Posted by ahightower' post='216179' date='Dec 27 2005, 09:56 PM

My wheel split without the Run Flats.

Hmmm.......124's on a US 545 without Runflats? Is it a 545 sports package?..... or non-sports package with the wheels changed to the 124's?
Yes. I have the sports package with Steptronic.
[/quote]

How did a US 545i with sports package and 124's end up with non-Runflat tires? It should have come with Runflats from the factory. Did you change it to non-Runflats yourself?

Sorry that I keep persuing this but as far as I remember you are the only one that said his 124 cracked with non-Runflats, which made us conclude that the Runflats may not have contributed to the cracking of the 124's like we had first thought. However, your car (545i w/sport package) should have come with Runflats from the factory, and if it did that means that all the reported cases once again are with Runflats.

To me it looks like the 124's (at least some) have a defect that makes them prone to cracking. If so then it would also make sense that the ultra stiff Runflat sidewalls would transfer a lot more of the impact energy to the rims than a non-Runflat sidewall would. Therefore 124's (or defective 124's) with Runflats should be much more prone to cracking than ones without Runflats.

Having said that, if my 124's were to crack I would much rather be driving on Runflats than non-Runflats (I think the RF's would be safer).
Old 01-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Members

Jeez F!!CK that BMW should replace right away considering the circumstances and his due diligence with pics.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 545i (actually it's the wifes car) Cold Weather Premium Sound Sport Package

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='221936
Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='220824' date='Jan 8 2006, 01:18 AM
[quote name='ahightower' post='216179' date='Dec 27 2005, 09:56 PM']

My wheel split without the Run Flats.

Hmmm.......124's on a US 545 without Runflats? Is it a 545 sports package?..... or non-sports package with the wheels changed to the 124's?
Yes. I have the sports package with Steptronic.
[/quote]

How did a US 545i with sports package and 124's end up with non-Runflat tires? It should have come with Runflats from the factory. Did you change it to non-Runflats yourself?

Sorry that I keep persuing this but as far as I remember you are the only one that said his 124 cracked with non-Runflats, which made us conclude that the Runflats may not have contributed to the cracking of the 124's like we had first thought. However, your car (545i w/sport package) should have come with Runflats from the factory, and if it did that means that all the reported cases once again are with Runflats.

To me it looks like the 124's (at least some) have a defect that makes them prone to cracking. If so then it would also make sense that the ultra stiff Runflat sidewalls would transfer a lot more of the impact energy to the rims than a non-Runflat sidewall would. Therefore 124's (or defective 124's) with Runflats should be much more prone to cracking than ones without Runflats.

Having said that, if my 124's were to crack I would much rather be driving on Runflats than non-Runflats (I think the RF's would be safer).
[/quote]

I bought my 04-545i "Certified Pre-Owned" from a local dealer. The car came with 124 rims without runflat tires. The car only had 21,000 +/- miles on it. I'm not sure what it came with from the factory. Not sure if runflats vs non-runflats make a difference post wheel splitting. My non-runflat tire held my "two" piece rim together until it was pulled off my car. As I stated in my earlier post. I was pleased with the way it handled after the rim split. I was doing about 70-75 mph when it happened the car swerved slightly but stayed in our lane. I then crossed three lanes to the shoulder with no problems.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ahightower' post='222526' date='Jan 10 2006, 09:27 PM
I bought my 04-545i "Certified Pre-Owned" from a local dealer. The car came with 124 rims without runflat tires. The car only had 21,000 +/- miles on it. I'm not sure what it came with from the factory. Not sure if runflats vs non-runflats make a difference post wheel splitting. My non-runflat tire held my "two" piece rim together until it was pulled off my car. As I stated in my earlier post. I was pleased with the way it handled after the rim split. I was doing about 70-75 mph when it happened the car swerved slightly but stayed in our lane. I then crossed three lanes to the shoulder with no problems.

Thanks for the further clarification.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

wow this is a hot topic. I can't believe how many views it has had!!! Glad I'm getting 172's!!
Old 01-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 545i (actually it's the wifes car) Cold Weather Premium Sound Sport Package

Got word from my dealer. BMWNA is denying the warranty claim they made to replace my tire, rim and wheel bearing. BMWNA's stand is that the rim cracked due to impact. No S#!T! Don't you think the rim would bend or should have bent on impact? The only damage to the lip of the rim was caused by me driving over 3 lanes on the rim. My dealer is eating the cost of the tire, rim and wheel bearing to keep me happy in addition to writing a check for a full month's payment. Even if my rim splitting was a fluke, I still don't feel safe knowing six other cases have been reported on this site alone. My wife's safety is worth more to me than a set of tire and rims. We'll be replacing them immediately.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

wow thats good! Sounds like you have a great dealer! Good luck. What wheels and tires are you going to get?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i

Well, long story short, got the FTM warning, went to discount tire to check it out. The tech told me it's not the tire, there's a small crack on the rim (I have 124's also), and it's slowly leaking air. I was like, WTF??? Anyway, I'm so glad that I've look it up here since a few people here is experiencing the same problem.

Anyway, do you think the dealer will replace it for free since the wheel is not split in half? yet? I haven't call the dealer yet.

BTW, mine is an 3/04 built...so I guess it's the first batch of 545i.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='81296' date='Jan 20 2005, 07:01 PM
Sorry about the wheel. I see you are in Scotland, but the wives here in the US frequently lie about what they hit and the severity of a hit when returning their husband's car damaged.
Just a thought.

Here's a picture of my car after my wife "supposedly" hit a bird doing 30mph.

Sorry, only kidding. It does seem that the E60 have had more than their share of problems. I have never joined a forum before concerning a car that I was driving so we might just be subject to many more issues then you would ever come across. I know when I read something a sort of hypochondria sets in, as I think I have the A/C pulley problem I read here but my dealer says no. Do other cars listed in onlune forum have this much trouble ?
I play on the forums a ton of time. From what I see, there are almost no built in problems with the newer 530s, the Corvettes, and the CTSs. Many 530s have the style 123 rims (ugly 18"ers), but it seems that the 124 rims are the culprit--not the car.

Quick Reply: E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked