E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Active Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
There was an SZL recall. Just not sure if your car is part of it what is the year/model of your car and manufacture date?
My car is a 2006 525 OL E60 (euro) Jap Spec. Build date 2006-06-20. Any Isea if this was part of the recall?
Where are you based? Was the purely for your territory?
Thank you.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by YeeeHaa
Mine was recalled 6 months ago. 2006 E60 530D
Thats good to know.
How was the recall initiated? Where are you based?
Thanks
Old 06-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Members

Greetings,
Are there any forum members who are actually BMW techs with experience with the steering misalignment/szl/active steering issue.
5years later, 2 replacement szls, the issue still has never been resolved.
I really really need assistance. In my country there aren't competent BMW service people.
Not even the dealer.
Please let me know
Old 06-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Members

Small bump. Sorry to be annoying. Any techs on forum? Please.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:08 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by showa
Small bump. Sorry to be annoying. Any techs on forum? Please.
I'm not a tech by any means, but did have an active steering issue last summer. I had intermittent active steering light, would reset it, would happen again, reset it again, repeat, then the light just stayed on...my steering wheel was pinned at the 1 o'clock position and power steering was gone. I thought it was the brushes or clock or steering angle sensor, took the steering wheel apart, inspected everything and put it back together. Brought it to my dealer and they couldn't connect to the active steering control module. They said I needed a new module and quoted me $1750 for parts, labor, programming. I told them I would source the part somewhere else and install it and bring it back to them for programming. My dealership is completely cool with doing this. I got a new one from BMW of Atlanta for $900, installed it (there was sticky, spilled soda, and dampness under the carpet where the old unit was), took it to my dealer and they programmed it for $250. Been working great since last year.
2005 545i
Good luck!
Old 06-21-2017, 02:44 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Just to ad my experience with SZL and adaptive steering.
Always been getting sporadic adaptive steering faults in the system and usually they are just glitches that do not cause any problem, I just hookup my laptop and run INPA to clear them. Adaptive steering stops working for no apparent reasons and then works ok again after car has gone to,sleep. Recently took my car for a wheel alignment to my local dealer and was told they were unable to get a response from my module for the final part to finish the alignment is to reset the adaptive steering. I told them to skip it and would,try to do it. (had done this myself before two yrs ago when alignment was done by another shop that did not have the equipment) and if I could not get it done I would come back for them to fix it.

Had no problem at home to have my laptop and INPA talk to my SZL so my opinion is that don't let dealer get $$$$ from you easily because they always want to sell you new modules.

Also if your only problem is that steering wheel is not at the 12 o'clock position you can get INPA /DIS on your laptop and line up the steering wheel yourself easily.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Curious...what part of\in INPA do you use to reset it?
Old 06-21-2017, 04:29 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by balbs
Curious...what part of\in INPA do you use to reset it?
Sorry I was not complete/correct above, you need DIS to do the reset or steering sensor alignment to get the wheel to the 12 o'clock position, but that is speaking for my version of INPA, there are YouTube videos out there doing it with INPA
Check out this video on YouTube:

Attached Thumbnails E60 Active Steering issue-img_7183.png  

Last edited by cmyachtie; 06-21-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by maine545i
I'm not a tech by any means, but did have an active steering issue last summer. I had intermittent active steering light, would reset it, would happen again, reset it again, repeat, then the light just stayed on...my steering wheel was pinned at the 1 o'clock position and power steering was gone. I thought it was the brushes or clock or steering angle sensor, took the steering wheel apart, inspected everything and put it back together. Brought it to my dealer and they couldn't connect to the active steering control module. They said I needed a new module and quoted me $1750 for parts, labor, programming. I told them I would source the part somewhere else and install it and bring it back to them for programming. My dealership is completely cool with doing this. I got a new one from BMW of Atlanta for $900, installed it (there was sticky, spilled soda, and dampness under the carpet where the old unit was), took it to my dealer and they programmed it for $250. Been working great since last year.
2005 545i
Good luck!
Thanks much for the response.
How did they assess that the active steering module was the problem?
Where is it actually located? These idiots here have had me buy 2 separate szl sensors.
My station alignment varies. Sometimes 1 o clock, sometimes 11, and it actually can change if I park up and start driving again.
I am losing my mind.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Just to ad my experience with SZL and adaptive steering.
Always been getting sporadic adaptive steering faults in the system and usually they are just glitches that do not cause any problem, I just hookup my laptop and run INPA to clear them. Adaptive steering stops working for no apparent reasons and then works ok again after car has gone to,sleep. Recently took my car for a wheel alignment to my local dealer and was told they were unable to get a response from my module for the final part to finish the alignment is to reset the adaptive steering. I told them to skip it and would,try to do it. (had done this myself before two yrs ago when alignment was done by another shop that did not have the equipment) and if I could not get it done I would come back for them to fix it.

Had no problem at home to have my laptop and INPA talk to my SZL so my opinion is that don't let dealer get $$$$ from you easily because they always want to sell you new modules.

Also if your only problem is that steering wheel is not at the 12 o'clock position you can get INPA /DIS on your laptop and line up the steering wheel yourself easily.

Hi,
I have no INPA experience at all. Someone tried to sort error for me remotely using my laptop and team viewer. They were unable to. They had me moving the steering at incremental angles, but it wouldn't register and the error wouldn't come off.
Do you have any suggestions? I am non technical so I would love to be able to tell my mechanic some things to check and try.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: E60 Active Steering issue