E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 (61) instrument Cluster Reset(?)-now no ignition...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 08:41 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E61 530xi - Premium, Cold Weather Package
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52
Default E60 (61) instrument Cluster Reset(?)-now no ignition...

Time to start a thread on this, I think - I hope experts here can help!

Car has been off the road for a few months now (covid, etc.), so took the opportunity to get some work done on 'er. Significantly, I've replaced the blower motor - so battery has been disconnected, and all center console components are removed for blower access. Battery has been kept fully charged - with a trickle charger. I recognize that the computer should now be reset as the battery will be seen as 'new'...

But tried a quick test first - to be sure I had a working blower - before putting it all back together. Having temporarily re-installed console components; Climate Control Module, Radio, etc. The car starts/runs fine, but:
• Blower motor does not come on!
• Wipers completely freak out; come on with no interaction with controls.
• Seat adjustments don't work.
• (Have a feeling many other things don't work, but haven't checked exhaustively)

OK. Took console controls out again, checked blower motor directly with 12v - it works fine. (Final Stage Resistor I think is also AOK; system was working well before replacement of blower - only replaced because its bearings were worn out.)

Next, tried the 'Full Reset' instructions I've found around the net... Holding Trip button for 10+ seconds, I never get to any reset screens...

But the Instrument Cluster went through what looked like a full reset - dials full-throw and back to zero, among other things.

Now, car will not even start! Help! To make matters worse, I can now not release the shift lever back to Neutral - in order to replace Climate Control unit, Radio, etc.

I'm beginning an install of Mike's BMW tools - am not quite there yet.