E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 545i owner, and LOVING it

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:47 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 01/04 545i - 19" Alloys
Smile E60 545i owner, and LOVING it

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, and the E60 crowd, and I would like to contribute to the helpfulness of this forum.

I am a motoring enthusiast and have owned a number of BMW's and V8's, this however is my first V8 BMW

I recently purchased my 2004 E60 545i privately and am amazed at the condition the car is in, it has be meticulously looked after and the service history is impeccable. This is my fourth BMW now and love the feel and handling of the car on the road

Before purchasing the car interstate, I did the usual background research, including searching this forum for general upkeep, and issues with the model. After reading various threads i was almost frightened out of making the purchase!!!!! The only issue the car has had in the past was an alternator replacement.

I understand that most people don't join a forum unless they are an enthusiast or are having an issue, but the sheer number of threads with 545i issues was unbelievable!

I would like to start this thread for owners of a 545i who are pleased with it...

I hope to see many replies below!

-Matt
Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Congratulations and welcome to the Forum Matt!
I am also a 2004 545i owner and a forum member since, well, 2004. Haven't had any major issue with the car other than the leaks that are frequently discussed here. If you like modding and DIYing maintenance and repairs, this is the place to be.

Last edited by Rizbel; 09-20-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:43 PM
New Members

Thanks for the warm welcome Rizbel

I am pleased to hear you are happy with the 545i! I have read a lot about the leaks, that was one of the first things I checked when I first looked at the car, and there was not even a dribble

I am a DIY fanatic and do enjoy the occasional mod... I ripped out the old analog tuner and modified it to allow me to connect an Android media player in its place to watch movies and listen to music from USB

I replaced a faulty front passenger parking sensor which took a while due to difficult access, and have reprogrammed numerous modules using NCS Expert to best suit my needs.

I hope to contribute as much as i can to this forum

- Matt
Old 09-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

I too am enjoying my 545i to no end. What a beast! If you come from a background of six cylinder BMWs then I am sure you are grinning ear to ear every time you press the go pedal.

I did have to sort out some maintenance issues after purchasing (i-Drive screen, coolant system, alternator, battery), but IMHO the 545i is the most refined, satisfying ride money can buy in this price range - IF you are a DIY who keeps up with maintenance. If you can't wrench it could get expensive.

Enjoy your ride!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:00 PM
New Members

Cheers BimmerFan52,

With the help from man write ups on this site i think i should be able to get by with a few of the general maintenance requirements

I came from a VE SS, Holden Monaro CV8, E46 318i, E30 323i, E21 320i respectively, the 545i however is smoother and much more refined than the other V8s I've had, and I could be biased, but it feels more responsive when you push the pedal. I got tired of the squeaks in the Holdens, and didn't want another slow 4 cyl bimmer, bringing me to the 545i

The solid clunk of the door when its closed is very satisfying, making me ponder why I ever left BMWs in the first place...

I read on this forum that the modules can start to fail more frequently at this age, and can start to add up to an expensive sum of money, I figured I would attempt repair on these myself before purchasing new or used ones, being an Electronics Technician.

All the best,

Matt
Old 09-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Welcome to the forums! I've ran the gamut of issues with her since 2006. A lesser car would have been driven off a cliff into the eternal abyss of ocean somewhere. For some reason, I can't get rid of her. It's like a marriage - you will have plenty of beautiful times, and occasional btchfests. I her.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome =)
Old 09-23-2013, 04:10 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Welcome and congrats on your 545.. I too have a 545,, had it for over six years now, still love it, its been a great car for me. It totally satisfies my driving style.. Especially mountain driving in tight switchback turns. This car is a cornering machine.. It can for sure run with the best of them.. People always ask me if my car is modded and tuned after trying to keep up with me on mountain runs,, and they are shocked,, when I tell them its all stock... This car is a performer and will put a smile on your face... Keep the maintanence up and it will give u years of driving pleasure and will last forever ...

Last edited by H F; 09-23-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:20 PM
New Members

cheers for the welcome guys!

glad to hear you're happy with your 545i, it certainly does stick to the road when cornering!! people that ask me what engine it is can't believe theres a V8 under the hood, i think the perception most of my friends have is a BMW as a family/business car with a small engine, unless you get an M series.

Just out of interest, is there any maintenance i should do other than the I-Drive recommendations, and of course failed parts?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by ma_tty_d
cheers for the welcome guys!

glad to hear you're happy with your 545i, it certainly does stick to the road when cornering!! people that ask me what engine it is can't believe theres a V8 under the hood, i think the perception most of my friends have is a BMW as a family/business car with a small engine, unless you get an M series.

Just out of interest, is there any maintenance i should do other than the I-Drive recommendations, and of course failed parts?
On my car I change the oil at 7,000 miles. The coolant , brake fluid, hydraulic fluid and rear end gear oil I change every two years. I really baby my tranny and change the fluid every 30,000 miles.. People tell me its too frequent, but It shifts and feels like new and I really think it makes a big difference.
Check your sunroof drains and the drains under the cabin filters and make sure the water drains out.. 6 drains totall. three per side. look under the spare tire make sure there is no signs of water . Even if its dry down there relocate the modules to the side panels.
If you have more questions post up, lots of savy 545 owners here with expert advice and know how...

Quick Reply: E60 545i owner, and LOVING it