E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e60 545i malfuntion of muilt systems then all better ha ha ha

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just sharing, the abs said it malfunctioned then the active steering a min later, then the active roll bar another min later, then the idrive screen turned off, the radio went dead, then i turned the car on and off, and drove around everything worked perfect..... gotta love computers.... i was thinking the battery was dying or the alt was gone, but i drove the car for 10 min and tested the volts and i had 14.5 at idle and 13.5 after 10min of sitting... so i will say computer glitch, i disconnected the battery and will leave it off over night hopefully to reset everything just for my piece of mind, but i am sure something like this will happen again..... but car ran fine otherwise, but i will say with out the active steering and sway bar stuff it felt like i was driving a boat.... wow i am glad i have those options, i just hope they continue to work lol.......
Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Members

anybody just change the voltage regulator, and not the whole alternator???
Old 01-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wow pulling the battery overnight? I hope it doesnt make you goto the dealer to get AS reinitialized...
Old 01-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1087539' date='Jan 10 2010, 05:18 AM
Wow pulling the battery overnight? I hope it doesnt make you goto the dealer to get AS reinitialized...
Yes active steering malfunction cameon but u just turn the car all the way to the left and right and it goes away
Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

my 545 went through the exact same issue for the last week and shut down completely last night,
The dealer replaced the alternator today and says that was causing everything to shutdown.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Members

Check the Power Steering Fluid level. It was low in my car and after topping it off everything was just fine. The stealer and a local BMW shop wanted $250 to $500 each time. I would have spent $1500 but all I spent was $21 of CHF11 Fluid.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Members

I have had the same thing happening. Mine always show abs light first, then steering, then the whole darn christmas tree of lights come on, then i get the red gear light and it goes into limp home mode.
My shop said it sounded like the alternator was going bad it wasnt kicking codes yet for the alt, so they couldnt replace it yet under warranty.

So now it finally kicked an error code yesterday and mine is the alternator, its being replaced today.

But if i let it sit overnight, i could get in the next day and it would start and drive with no problem.

And for those in South Florida you will know my pain, it happened on alligator alley about a month ago, right where cell reception is between non-existant and you got 10 seconds of 1 bar, so it took a while to get it towed. :thumbsdown:
Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport

I have the exact same problem, my independent guy wants to change the voltage regulator and not the alternator for now. Had the same the same issues. Battery was recently replaced so couldn't have been that. I was told my alternator overcharging the battery. I'll let you know how is goes.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport

Originally Posted by donovanc
I have the exact same problem, my independent guy wants to change the voltage regulator and not the alternator for now. Had the same the same issues. Battery was recently replaced so couldn't have been that. I was told my alternator overcharging the battery. I'll let you know how is goes.

Just changing the voltage regulator has worked for me so far...
Old 03-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I had the same scary moments yesterday after the smog test. Steering malfunction, dynamic drive, Active roll... I went back to the shop and the technician told me not to worry, "it'll go away after a few blocks" he said. It did. Oh, passed all smog checks .

Quick Reply: e60 545i malfuntion of muilt systems then all better ha ha ha