E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 545 vs IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ok some of you might have know... I replaced my daily... a beautiful little MINI Cooper S

E60 545 vs IS 350-img_1118.jpg

with a Lexus IS 350.

E60 545 vs IS 350-img_6455.jpg

E60 545 vs IS 350-img_6475.jpg

So after about 2 months and have put a little over 2K miles on the IS I'll give a little and quick feeback on what I think and how it compares to a BMW. Nothing fancy like Motor Trend... just observations of mine.

Speed:

I think the IS is just as fast if not a little faster than the 545. Off the line because its an automatic I dont have a problem just pounding a little deeper in the throttle than I would on the 545. Because the 545 is a manual and if I dont need to I usually ease into the throttle to get the car moving and once the clutch is disengaged completly I'll then step into the throttle more. But I have nailed both the 545 and IS before and they both seem very close...

I'm on the freeway fairly early in the morning and theres less traffic and in gear acceleration from 30 to 80 they both pull very nice seems really close to equal to me.

Steering Feel / Road Feel

You all know the answer. BMW is much better. The IS's steering is very light, very easy to steer, too light for my taste. BUT it does have some road feel. (More road feel than a Mercedes Sport. non AMG) The new 2IS is not your everyday road isolated Lexus anymore road feel is there and theres a decent amount of directness. You turn the wheel and the car responds. It doesnt have that looseness and emptyness... the wiggle space. Its actually kinda ok... I say kinda ok... cuz theres waaay worse on the road... There are new Mercedes out there that has worse steering / road feel and other Lexus's that have worse too... the new IS is by far the best one Lexus has made.

Handling

The 545 with dynamic drive is better. Flatter and gives the driver more confidence to take any sweeping turn at a higher speed. The handling on my non-sport IS is not bad either.... it can take some bends... comparing it to E46 and E90 non sport package I'm almost willing to say its just as good or even a little better. The suspension is quite hard for a Lexus and the Sport version is even HARDER I think it'll be too hard just like the MINI Cooper S's.

Theres a freeway interchange that i take everyday. 10W to 710S for those familiar with the freeway. I believe I can take that turn faster in the IS than I can in any BMW loner I've had... and beleive me I've had my fair share of loners having a early build MINI All minor problems... dont worry.

I think the handling in the IS is very good for what its worth. People keep saying the 325 or 330 will handle better than the IS, true with the sport package but I'm not sure with the non-sport... maybe the 3 will give you the feeling that it'll handle better but in fact it might not... *shrugs*

Interior

Ummm I dont have to say much here too... its like BMW driving feel and Lexus Driving feel... hahah you know...

Well the lexus leater and interior is very nice. very comfortable. The NAV is nice too... but I cant really compare I dont have NAV in the E60.

Technology the IS has a lot. Everything BMW has and then some.
Comfort access standard
In dash 6 disc changer that plays MP3s not in glove box... in dash... doesnt matter to me.
Blue Tooth
Back up Camera
Speed warning
Tach warning
All the on board computer stuff like avg mpg avg mph etc etc
Puddle lamps on side mirror like BMW
Heated and Ventilated seats...
Customizable door locks <---- I love this part... soooooooooooo many options.
Lock doors when shift out of Park or Lock at 12mph
Unlock doors when shift into Park or Unlock when pull door handle.
Unlock only drivers side or unlock all 4 doors when pulling the handle or
Unlock all doors when pulling handle within 10 seconds of engine shut off and unlock only drivers side door when door handle is pulled after 10 seconds of engine shut off.

One really cool thing is Built in DVD video player in dash if you op for Mark Levinision Sound system. you can watch DVD movies on the move with a little mod.

Ok enough for now time for bed... I dont know what else... I'm sure I'm missing some stuff... feel free to ask away if anyone wants.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

So you can program the door lock yourself or the dealer have to do it?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='301844' date='Jun 22 2006, 11:22 PM
So you can program the door lock yourself or the dealer have to do it?

Yourself... its right in the instructions manual.

Oh and you can change how comfort access unlocks the doors too.

Touch to unlock all door or just unlock the drivers side...
Old 06-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Contributors

Nice car and nice review. What other cars did you consider at the time? And why not drive the e60 everyday.

BTW, if you want to find out which is faster, my offer to drive one of your cars still stands....
Old 06-23-2006, 01:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Nice review!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

im supprised that you say that the IS has hard suspension...from what i know Lexus still does the soft ones...anyways...im sure that the 545 is faster than the lexus..seems like you dont feel the speed in the e60 because it gets there so smoothly....
btw i really like what you did to the rear lights...looks really good...and im sure as a everyday work car the lexus is much more comfortable, practical, and reliable than the mini...
Old 06-23-2006, 06:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by madoon' post='301968' date='Jun 23 2006, 06:20 AM
im supprised that you say that the IS has hard suspension...from what i know Lexus still does the soft ones...
The IS suspension is quite bouncy. Its just a tad softer than the 545s Sport Suspension.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Drive the IS350 to the Meet tomorrow. We'll do some runs. Then we'll know for sure which car is faster! And, I can gauge whether I can win if I ever encounter another IS350.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='301874' date='Jun 23 2006, 12:56 AM
What other cars did you consider at the time? And why not drive the e60 everyday.
Ummm G35c, A3, A4, Wait for the 335c, and the Cayman? <--- that was actually too much... but just had to look.

Too many miles... I drive about 20K a year just for work... and then tack on other stuff like drives that burn milage for no reason.. errands etc etc
Old 06-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Nice review, and good info. Maybe you can find a way to race yourself. All sorts of remote control devices are out there now.

Quick Reply: E60 545 vs IS 350