E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 545 Transmission Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='404636' date='Mar 19 2007, 06:20 PM
Jolly good, except that this seems to refer to "in gear" operation, and related to throttle behaviour, not transmission. What I think most of the complainers here refer to is that the transmission bangs into gear suddenly from neutral/coasting mode, either when stopping or picking up.

.... engine at 2000 rpm, which means very far away from any gear change, and I have tried pretty much any "slight alteration" of driving style (press down slower, faster, more, less) without resolving the issue.
We'll possibly; I concede I might be skewing the point. The main thrust I was making here is that there is a lot going on - also, what I failed to point out is that my car suffers the slam effect too (according to what I've been informed this mainly occurs when the car has been constant in economy mode, that is D, prior to the slam) - from my perspective this is most easily replicated when exiting on a slip road (off ramp) from a fast speed (e.g. 70mph) constant run and coming to a stop or near-stop e.g. 2-4mph - as you state using different styles, e.g. pressure on the gas pedal, has no affect as a slam still occurs, that is a slam into gear occurs either when slowing to a stop or when you accelerate.

As explained to me, not the exact words but my interpretation (from memory, my apologies to the technically inclined as my description maybe flawed in execution) - The transmission is confused by the above situation to enable the selection of the 'correct' gear here, it delays as the throttle load is either losing demand or building demand, in this instance the slam effect can occur most often when the transmission selects first, downshifts from second, due to the throttle demand/speed requiring this gear - ideally it should not but is does rather violently, particularly as the downshift slows the car with a jerk, this as the system is selecting a gear as the demand is suggesting; the delay I've also experienced is the system is accommodating the non linear requirement of the emission control as the driver demands acceleration by imposing a throttle delay during build up, this does not help either as the transmission can bang into gear from this situation as the load from the throttle builds - recall the driver is not issuing exact throttle control here, the management system has initial control as described in high load conditions - I dispute the high load point as the slam can occur with relatively small throttle demand e.g. a more economic driving style which dlevi67 has found too - as KAF indicates there is a 0.5-0.9 second delay then take off!........Of course this could be BS and I may have missed something in the translation, if so I apologise for misleading, however it does appear logical enough???
Old 03-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

I can understand the scenario that you are describing, and I agree that drive-by-wire + tight emission control create situations that are difficult to understand without knowing what is going on at a greater level of detail than "I push here, car should go faster. It doesn't, so car is broken".

It still seems to me that it's a common enough situation (e.g. approaching any junction where visibility is restricted and/or you have a give way sign) for BMW's engineers to ought to have thought of it and programmed the transmission accordingly. :thumbsdown:

If the E39 transmission could cope with this - I have never heard anyone complaining about it, and I drove a V8 E39 for 120k miles without having the issue - why not the E60? I think the emissions bit is complete bullsh!t to avoid admitting that they screwed up something fairly basic.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:21 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

I ask one question, if as BMW say it is the compliance with EU emission regs that precipitate the behaviour, why do drivers in the US also report the same behaviour in some 545i's?

OK two questions, why is thier explanation different to that given to me by the ZF engineer, embedded with BMW (UK) who sat in my car whilst I replicated the behaviour?

BS indeed by one of them !!

(See earlier threads and polls)

My car is booked in for next week, so lets see if they can find a Euro version of the SIB and fix this.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by KAF' post='404723' date='Mar 19 2007, 10:21 PM
I ask one question, if as BMW say it is the compliance with EU emission regs that precipitate the behaviour, why do drivers in the US also report the same behaviour in some 545i's?

OK two questions, why is thier explanation different to that given to me by the ZF engineer, embedded with BMW (UK) who sat in my car whilst I replicated the behaviour?

BS indeed by one of them !!

(See earlier threads and polls)

My car is booked in for next week, so lets see if they can find a Euro version of the SIB and fix this.
I think the same argument would apply in compliance to US emission controls - which are as good/bad as the EU ones.

I also believe that the two issues may well coexist. One is transmission related, the other is throttle-related. Whether either or both are BS, we shall see...

Good luck with the fix! Let us know how you get on.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='404723' date='Mar 19 2007, 10:21 PM
My car is booked in for next week
I'm waiting for general reprogramming until they can confirm they have Progman 25...

ABC
Old 03-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='404842' date='Mar 20 2007, 03:08 AM
I'm waiting for general reprogramming until they can confirm they have Progman 25...

ABC
Now that Progman 25 is available in the States, I've got my car scheduled for an update in a couple of weeks. I will also provide them with the SIB that instructs them to use the "2-1 Tip-in code" correction, which I hope will remedy the problem (among a couple of others I have). I'll report back when it's done.

ABC - if you get yours back before I do, please post your impressions on whether 25 corrects the "jumpy take-off" problem.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Members

I just got my back car from the dealer for this problem and gave them the update I found on this forum. Transmission slam problem was resolved.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by bmw2dr!ve' post='406062' date='Mar 23 2007, 01:50 PM
I just got my back car from the dealer for this problem and gave them the update I found on this forum. Transmission slam problem was resolved.
YES! Now I really can't wait to get the update.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wildcat' post='406017' date='Mar 23 2007, 11:36 AM
Now that Progman 25 is available in the States, I've got my car scheduled for an update in a couple of weeks. I will also provide them with the SIB that instructs them to use the "2-1 Tip-in code" correction, which I hope will remedy the problem (among a couple of others I have). I'll report back when it's done.

ABC - if you get yours back before I do, please post your impressions on whether 25 corrects the "jumpy take-off" problem.
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Sport, Man, Cold WX Pkg, Black Sapphire Met on Black

I've got a fix for all your problems!!!....MANUAL Transmission Sorry, just had to.

Quick Reply: E60 545 Transmission Support Group