E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 530xi cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 08:59 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

To make matters worse after I replaced the o ring that was pinched out of shape, the leak got worse. Using the leak detection test again, I found out the crank case tube that connects behind the left side of the throttle body became fully disconnected to the manifold when I fixed the first leak! Removed the manifold a third time to connect this tube. Car ran like a champ.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:30 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530xi

Originally Posted by donpb
+1

There's nothing major to disconnect but there are a lot of minor things. It's not necessary to pull the manifold completely out, but there's still quite a bit of things to disconnect. Double-check everything, as there might be something broken or not reconnected just right.
Apologies I was caught up all this time, I finally had the time and had some assistance from a friend. Removed the intake completely this time, made sure to disconnect connectors, unmounted the cable junction box that's held on with torx screws. Replaced the Crank case breather valve and rest of the hoses, remounted the intake and crosschecked all the connections. Still having no luck, the car cranks but won't start. It feels like it wants to start, but keep experiencing pulses of vibration from it attempting to start. Checked the fuel pressure, seems like it's getting fuel okay. I am not sure how to proceed now.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:32 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530xi

Originally Posted by Lehigh20
​​​​​​ Really sounds like large vacuum leak. Disconnecting MAF sensor works for minor leak, not large leak. I detected the leak by removing the air intake box sealing the intake tube with a latex glove, then removed the intake manifold pressure sensor, located between the 5th and 6th intake runners. Used this pressure sensor hole to blow air using an air pump hose with tapered end wrapped with electrical tape for good seal. If no leaks, the glove should inflate and remain inflated. In my case, it deflated within 5 seconds. I used soapy water spray to all the connections while slowly blowing, found out one of the o rings of the ccv tubes got pinched out of place when I moved the air intake aside when I replaced the starter.
I think I should give that a shot, I thought my crankcase breather was clogged as when I pulled some broken hoses, they had a bit of oil residue on the inside. This time I replaced all the hoses related to ccv and checked the connections, hoping to do this test today to see if there are leaks, hopefully I have some luck, thanks for the information!
Old 09-28-2022, 08:56 AM
New Members

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

There are a lot of things that get moved / wiggled / bumped doing that job. FWIW, my quick no-brainer test for whether it's a fuel issue is to just shoot a couple seconds of starting fluid into the air box / tube, and see if the engine fires up immediately. If it does, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't, keep looking.

Those hoses can be tricky to get fully seated and sealed - make sure you haven't left one loose. Might be interesting to listen to the injectors with a mechanic's stethoscope while a helper tries to start the car, to see if you're getting "signal" to the injectors.