E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 520d has trouble with heating vents

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

On a recet trip, temp outside was about 12 degrees C and my A/C was set to auto at 22C. Soon I realised it was getting too cold for comfort in the car. I increased the temp setting all the way up. I started to get some heat from the footwell and the windshield vents but not the center dash vents. I tried different settings with the A/C off and on but to no avail.

This was the first time for over 4 months I had to drive with such an outside temp.

What may be the issue here?

Thanks

SY
Old 10-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 520D 2007

Originally Posted by asyircali' post='1027746' date='Oct 8 2009, 06:54 PM
Hi all,

On a recet trip, temp outside was about 12 degrees C and my A/C was set to auto at 22C. Soon I realised it was getting too cold for comfort in the car. I increased the temp setting all the way up. I started to get some heat from the footwell and the windshield vents but not the center dash vents. I tried different settings with the A/C off and on but to no avail.

This was the first time for over 4 months I had to drive with such an outside temp.

Thanks

SY
Go into the i-drive to the settings for the airco, you will see that the bar there next to the center will be blue.
Put it to white or red, and you will get warm air.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by asyircali' post='1027746' date='Oct 8 2009, 12:54 PM
Hi all,

Thanks

SY
I've noticed that with "automatic programmes" selected in iDrive for Climate settings,you do feel cool air coming from the centre vents but warmer air from the footwell.Rather than using manual settings,I select "soft" in the auto options.When the ambient temperature rises I change it to "medium".Also,I've noticed that this is more annoying on the LCi models.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tooltec' post='1027814' date='Oct 8 2009, 02:07 PM
I've noticed that with "automatic programmes" selected in iDrive for Climate settings,you do feel cool air coming from the centre vents but warmer air from the footwell.Rather than using manual settings,I select "soft" in the auto options.When the ambient temperature rises I change it to "medium".Also,I've noticed that this is more annoying on the LCi models.
Yeh, it's a frickin nightmare system. Totally hopeless. I mean who the hell thought up the idea of having to go into the idrive to change the air intesity from the centre vents, or get them to push out cold or warm air.

Also, shouldn't 'Auto' be just that ??? Not on a 5 series apparrently, 'Auto' means low, medium, or hight intesity air. I mean what a joke. Good fun if you are sitting in a car park iwth an hour to kill and want to play with the aircon system, but driving bumper-to-bumper in the daily commute with your nuts freezing off and trying to get some hot air into the cabin. It really is a poorly designed system.

Must have been the boss's son that designed it because I can't see any other reason this made it through product testing. What do you expect from 'Bangle' though. Thank goodness his era ended quickyl and we're back to a good design philosophy based on good looks, great design and simple function. BMW's are drivers car designed for performance and handling, not a frickin games arcade like those Japanese heaps of *&**

I mean was 'Bangle' some kind of joke designer...what with the beard, black polo-neck sweater, he looked like some 'comic-book' character designer.

Well now I have offended just about everyone.....Rant over !!!