E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60, 2004, 545I FOOTWELL Heater levels, cold feet problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:40 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed

Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
Okay I had a similar problem in my car, no heat on the feet...all in the defrost while in AUTO mode...And you can confirm that by looking at the first climate iDrive screen and look at where the sliders are set by the computer.

During the summer the system would frequently BLAST air, then calm back down. Super annoying.

The fix for this was replacing the condensation sensor. I discovered the issue in DIS (BMW software) in the IHKA module, as there was errors related to the condensation sensor. Basically the system always believed the windshield was fogging over and tried to clear the problem by cranking open the defrost vents.

It took about 15 minutes for me to replace. It is located below the rearview mirror, mounted to the windshield under the plastic cover (that pops off). It has a simple plug, no coding required.

BMW E65 760Li N73 6.0L - 64116928326 - Condensation Sensor - ES#176798 Looks just like this. Confirm the part number with REALOEM for your particular vehicle.
I am experiencing the same thing, when its on auto all the heat goes to defrost and when I manually make it come through the main vents through the idrive it comes out luke warm and very weak air even if I crank it as high as it will go. Is this similar to what you went through or is my valves going bad? this literally happened from one day to the next.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:57 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Thanks for the tip, will have look at the sensor and disconnect it for trial.
Have not seen faults related to that with my DIS diagnostics but never know. Only little bit of warm air coming into footwell. Been like that ever since I got car two yrs ago.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2008 gives blazing hot air if temp. adjusted to max. In auto setting temp is very comfortable. Recently had failed heater valve- passenger side no heat- since fixed, works well.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:43 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by padre
My 2008 gives blazing hot air if temp. adjusted to max. In auto setting temp is very comfortable. Recently had failed heater valve- passenger side no heat- since fixed, works well.
Just wondering, this could my problem as well, did that heater valve produce any fault code for you?
Thanks
Old 01-13-2015, 06:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i & 2000 528i

Hi Cmyachtie,

I recently had a problem with my heating system where when driving at constant speed the heat would be OK, but if I was in stop and go traffic the air would be cold and the fan would speed up and blow cool/cold air when stopped. Not sure if this is similar, but I thought I would chime in. :-)

Turned out to be the little aux heater pump was bad. Apparently, there is not enough coolant flow at idle from the main water pump to circulate hot coolant through the heater core and the aux pump gives it a boost. Easy to check with the key turned forward (engine not running) and the heat/fan turned to max, see if there is flow in the coolant reservoir. The broken pump did not give me any error codes.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:40 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 535xiT Deep Sea Blue

Originally Posted by Germancars007
I am experiencing the same thing, when its on auto all the heat goes to defrost and when I manually make it come through the main vents through the idrive it comes out luke warm and very weak air even if I crank it as high as it will go. Is this similar to what you went through or is my valves going bad? this literally happened from one day to the next.

Germancars007 I had this problem the other day, its from a weak battery. It mentions it in the manual, top of page 107

Last edited by boerboel; 01-13-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:03 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed

Originally Posted by boerboel
Germancars007 I had this problem the other day, its from a weak battery. It mentions it in the manual, top of page 107
I have noticed a weak crank, so maybe my battery is going bad. I'll check it out as well as my Aux heat pump as turbineguy mentioned. Thank you for helping me out boerboel!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:01 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by turbineguy
Hi Cmyachtie,
I recently had a problem with my heating system where when driving at constant speed the heat would be OK, but if I was in stop and go traffic the air would be cold and the fan would speed up and blow cool/cold air when stopped. Not sure if this is similar, but I thought I would chime in. :-)

Turned out to be the little aux heater pump was bad. Apparently, there is not enough coolant flow at idle from the main water pump to circulate hot coolant through the heater core and the aux pump gives it a boost. Easy to check with the key turned forward (engine not running) and the heat/fan turned to max, see if there is flow in the coolant reservoir. The broken pump did not give me any error codes.
Thanks, but this the same pump that provides the residual heating right?
I don't have a problem there as when parked/engine off I do get heat and you can hear the pump outside the car. My condensation sensor also checks out as being OK, so am beginning to suspect one of the servos controlling the footwell flap.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 AM
New Members

So having determined my sensor is working OK, and really analyzed my lack of footwell heat I realize that no matter what my fan speed or temp. is set at there is very little airflow.
Temp. will rise with control knop being raised to high so temp. controls seem to be operating correctly just lack of airflow and went to look at some of my old IHKA coding files and noticed the following lines:

DEF_U_FUSS_KLAPPE_ZU_KEY1
nicht_aktiv
BELUEFTUNG_KEY1
nicht_aktiv
GEBL_OFFSET_KEY1
nicht_aktiv
TEMP_OFFSET_KEY1
nicht_aktiv
DEF_U_FUSS_KLAPPE_ZU_KEY2
nicht_aktiv
BELUEFTUNG_KEY2
nicht_aktiv
GEBL_OFFSET_KEY2
nicht_aktiv
TEMP_OFFSET_KEY2
nicht_aktiv
DEF_U_FUSS_KLAPPE_ZU_KEY3
nicht_aktiv

"FUSS_KLAPPE" in my German translation could be my "footwell flap" NE1 have any idea about this if I could have something here?

Is there an option where with individual key coding one could in-or de-crease the airflow on the feet?

Could one of you with NCS have a look at theirs and see if there is a difference in their code?

thanks
Old 01-19-2015, 11:59 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Google translates FUSS KLAPPE to Foot Valve.

Quick Reply: E60, 2004, 545I FOOTWELL Heater levels, cold feet problem