E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60, 2004, 545I FOOTWELL Heater levels, cold feet problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:53 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62
Default E60, 2004, 545I FOOTWELL Heater levels, cold feet problem

Don't know if this is just me but am really getting fed up with iDrive climate control issues. This is my 2nd winter for my E60 and have enjoyed previous BMW's for over 14 yrs and never had a complaint like this but I am basically unable to get warm feet in this car UNLESS I go out of the Auto setting AND each time close the upper+middle vents in iDrive and turn the temp setting (red vs blue lined box in iDrive) to red. The frustrating thing for me is that these settings don't stick and are gone to BMW's heating engineer idiot's preferences each time I either shut off the car or go back to the Auto setting of the cabin heater.
Does NE1 here get warm feet in Auto mode?

When in Auto mode my feet heat will always just be lukewarm and very little airflow.
I am getting no errors from my sensors or any other heating components and software was updated recently by dealer as well and nothing changed since then for the better either so I am let to believe this an iDrive design "feature" pls correct me if I am wrong.
I hate to think this is true for all E60's ......
Love to hear your cabin heat experiences.......
Old 01-11-2014, 10:40 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M5 SMG
Model Year: 2006

Ditto. My feet are always cold. Thank god for the seat and steering wheel heaters!
Old 01-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 530xiT Black/Black Nav pan roof tint 30%/20% F/R, LED Interior, Matte Kidney Grills, RPi intake scoop, 5W LED AE's, Backed out emblems...

same here...
Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 01/04 545i - 19" Alloys

I have a similar kind of issue with my climate system, where when I change the temp knob on the drivers side to cold, and the passenger side to warm, it appears to be changing the feet to warm, and the middle vent to cold... could just be me, but it doesn't appear to be dual mode climate control.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi base la mans blue

Originally Posted by johnbennett103
Ditto. My feet are always cold. Thank god for the seat and steering wheel heaters!
Same here but my service micro filter light came on about 2 or 3 months ago I thought that was the problem this fall and I haven't drove my BMW in 2 months
Old 01-14-2014, 06:35 AM
New Members

I am beginning to realize why the PO of my car spend the winters in Florida.........LOL
Old 01-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

I don't have that problem now. I used to have a problem where only defrost vents were blowing air. After coding the IHKA module to default everything has worked perfectly.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:44 PM
New Members

My Ride: 06 530xi manual

Okay I had a similar problem in my car, no heat on the feet...all in the defrost while in AUTO mode...And you can confirm that by looking at the first climate iDrive screen and look at where the sliders are set by the computer.

During the summer the system would frequently BLAST air, then calm back down. Super annoying.

The fix for this was replacing the condensation sensor. I discovered the issue in DIS (BMW software) in the IHKA module, as there was errors related to the condensation sensor. Basically the system always believed the windshield was fogging over and tried to clear the problem by cranking open the defrost vents.

It took about 15 minutes for me to replace. It is located below the rearview mirror, mounted to the windshield under the plastic cover (that pops off). It has a simple plug, no coding required.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E65-760...6.0l/ES176798/ Looks just like this. Confirm the part number with REALOEM for your particular vehicle.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:44 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
Okay I had a similar problem in my car, no heat on the feet...all in the defrost while in AUTO mode...And you can confirm that by looking at the first climate iDrive screen and look at where the sliders are set by the computer.

During the summer the system would frequently BLAST air, then calm back down. Super annoying.

The fix for this was replacing the condensation sensor. I discovered the issue in DIS (BMW software) in the IHKA module, as there was errors related to the condensation sensor. Basically the system always believed the windshield was fogging over and tried to clear the problem by cranking open the defrost vents.

It took about 15 minutes for me to replace. It is located below the rearview mirror, mounted to the windshield under the plastic cover (that pops off). It has a simple plug, no coding required.

BMW E65 760Li N73 6.0L ES#176798 Condensation Sensor - 64116928326 Looks just like this. Confirm the part number with REALOEM for your particular vehicle.
Thanks,
You may have something here as I have been suspecting this sensor being somewhat funky, BUT I have never seen any faults in DIS related to this and my climate iDRive screen in auto mode does have the vents half for both the windshield and dash vents and footwell full open, still I just may go and replace that sensor and see what happens.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: 06 530xi manual

Hmm...if the vent positions look like that while in auto, and you still have no heat my gut feel is that you probably have a different issue. I found a new sensor on ebay for $30.

Quick Reply: E60, 2004, 545I FOOTWELL Heater levels, cold feet problem