E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E39 vs. E60

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 05:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Auto, Nav., Bluetooth, Cold Pkg., Comfort Seats, Premium Audio

For those folks who owned (or drove) the E39 and the E60. How do they compare to each other when it comes to handling? Does the E39 handles better? Does it feel better at high speeds? (80+ MPH).

I know that the weight distribution on the E60 is better due to the extensive use of aluminum in the front but I keep reading occasionally that the E39 handled better than the E60. Some reviewers and writers say that the E39 had a "soul". Does the E60 have a "soul"? What the heck does that mean anyway?

I am a first time (and relatively new) BMW owner/driver with my 545 E60. When I bought this car, I also considered getting a certified pre-owned 2003 540. At the end I decided to go for the E60 because of the looks, the extra legroom and the iDrive.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aosman' post='370262' date='Dec 22 2006, 09:40 AM
For those folks who owned (or drove) the E39 and the E60. How do they compare to each other when it comes to handling? Does the E39 handles better? Does it feel better at high speeds? (80+ MPH).

I know that the weight distribution on the E60 is better due to the extensive use of aluminum in the front but I keep reading occasionally that the E39 handled better than the E60. Some reviewers and writers say that the E39 had a "soul". Does the E60 have a "soul"? What the heck does that mean anyway?...
My wife was driving an '03 525iT 5-speed sport package until I bought an '06 530xiT, non-sport, for her. She commented that she liked, at times, the 5-speed, and that the handling in the 525iT seemed to be a little crisper. On the other hand, the interior of the E61 reminds me much more of my 'o4 745i than the E39. Both cars are great, though, so I don't think you could have made a bad decision.

Marc

'01 525i - sold
'03 525iT - Silver, 5-speed, sport, premium
'04 745i - 19s, convenience and "comfort" seats
'06 530xiT - chrome 18s, nav, cold weather, premium
Old 12-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Senior Members

I went from an E39 540i sport to a E60 530i sport. The E39 handles much better at speeds over 70mph. It feels more planted and solid. The E60 takes the turns better at lower speeds and actually has better aural feedback than the E39. There is room for improvement in the E60 but I also wonder if it's the use of run flats.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

My dad told me the E60's handling would be a bit better than the E39's. But all in all he liked the E39 much more
Old 12-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Originally Posted by aosman' post='370262' date='Dec 22 2006, 02:40 PM

I know that the weight distribution on the E60 is better due to the extensive use of aluminum in the front but I keep reading occasionally that the E39 handled better than the E60. Some reviewers and writers say that the E39 had a "soul". Does the E60 have a "soul"? What the heck does that mean anyway?
They are very different cars, I have owned the E39 and currently have an E61(E60 Station Wagon). The E39 seemed a much heavier car to drive as per the all steel construction but the E60 is much more responsive as you would expect with more modern engineeering techniques being applied. When you drive the car hard the E60 is much more predictable and the turn in on bends is great as the car handles so well with its better weight distribution.
Does it have "soul" yes it does, it's just different, the old car was great in its time but compared to the E60 it feels dated. At speed both models are good and sure footed, if anything the E60 does feel a bit light but not unpleasant, the brakes on the E60 are amazing so if you need to come back from 80+ quickly I would rather be in the E60. As far as technology is concerned there just aint no comparison.
A BMW has always been a drivers car, just enjoy it, your decision was right.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

I'm not sure the claim that the E39 was a heavier car and lacked 50/50 (or near) weight distribution is accurate. The E39 540 vs E60 550 shows the E60 to be slightly heavier, while the 530 E60 vs E39 shows the E60 slightly lighter. We're talking a difference of about 45lbs in either case. And weight distribution is about the same in both as well. The E60 is however a bigger car and also taller.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Members

Having, owned a 2001 540 and an 04 and now 07 E60's, i can say that in my opinion, the E39 is much less refined then the other two, but more of a road car.

I found the with the 540 i felt the road much more than the other two, it seemed to handle better. Perhaps it is because of me having active steering on both my E60's

Overall, i rate them as follows

1.) 550 - Overall the best of the 3, tight handling, more refined interior and far more luxurious ( maybe its because i just love that damn Auburn interior ! ! )
2.) 540 - flat out road performance and just fun to drive.
3.) 545 - I think because I had an early build '03, I had a lot of bugs to iron out...overall a great car, just not as good as the other two.

Cant go wrong with any of them

Highway
Old 12-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

I had a 2003 540 sport and I now have a 2006 550. I'd say that there isnt a whole bunch of difference and the very best part remains - you feel the road like BMW's are famous for!

When the e60 first came out I wasnt very fond of the lines, but now it has grown on me. In fact, I think they tend to do this to me with almost every new model for the 5 and 7 series vehicles (I recall not liking the e39 when I first saw it, and as for the newer 7 series body style...that took a while to warm up to).

The spirit of the driving is comparable for sure and the differences IMO are subtle enough so that I cant recall any. In each case they are sure to bring a smile to your face when youre entering a freeway onramp, or passing someone.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I had two E39's (both 540i with sport package) and drove them daily for a period of six years. In my opinion, the E60 (545i with sport package) handles much better -- not that the E39 handled poorly...

I don't know if it's the active roll, active steering, bigger rubber, or a combination of those and more but to me, the E60 is an improvement over the E39.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

BMW are you listening?

It is sad that a good number of posters, myself included, agree that the new 5s are actually less responsive than their predecessors. I am nearly certain that I will be adding the Dinan Koni suspension to my 550i sport just to get that old BMW feeling back. A BMW's comfort has traditionally come from supportive seats, a myriad of electronic amenities and a stiff solid chassis that is as close to rattle free as possible. I'm sure most repeat BMW buyers would agree that a floaty ride has no place in a BMW - and that is exactly what we have been offered by BMW since the introduction of the 745i in 2002. The M cars are exempt from this criticism, which makes sense inasmuch as M is a seperate entity. But it seems the new generation BMWs have been dulled a bit in the handling department in favor or a ride quality more widely acceptable by American standards. The new 7s, 6s, and 5s (all of which I have driven) handle better than the competition, but yet in an almost artificial way. In my experience most of the people who are 1) new to BMW; and 2) cross shopped other cars before buying either a 745/50, 645/50 or E60 5 - more often that not don't share the same philosophies and priorities as the tired-and-true E39, E38, E46 buyers. BMW must have decided to broaden its market share to steal some borderline Lexus/Mercedes/Jaguar buyers and frankly I think it has been to the detriment of its core values, and long standing customers. I say use the new technologies to broaden the performance envelope in equal measure to the comfort envelope. I think the new cars are a bit too soft (E90 exlcuded, I have had a 06' 325i loaner for 2 weeks and its a blast! I call it the BMW litmus test. Those that don't like driving it, don't like BMW - unfortunately I fear quite a few buyers new to BMW, who love their 5s, 6s and 7s are in that category)

Happy holidays,
DRP

Quick Reply: E39 vs. E60