E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E060-05-03-520 (CIP 16.2) issue/comments

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Re: Climate Control. Last two weeks have been very pleasent and I have been setting Climate to OFF. At least 95% ot the time it comes back full AUTO each time I restart. I then hit off and that is the way I shut down. And the process repeats. The 5% when it remains off at restart may be those times when I have only been out of the car for a few minutes before starting up again. I was trying to pay attention but may have missed a few times the exact sequence. I am CIP v15.2. I am listing this as a fault as I believe this is just like the mute issue.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I'm not a big fan of 16.2 as it related to NAV. I'm pissed about seeing the icons on the left side and losing map space. Makes the viewing area smaller. And what does "nav info on" or "nav info off" do? I see it doing nothing on that button/voice command.

Also, you can no longer see the vent settings on there. I swear, I wish BMW would ask real users what they want. One thing is to add the temperature to the iDrive so passensgers can see that info.

Not a fan of 16.2 so far.

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Apr 20 2005, 07:26 PM
Re: Climate Control.? Last two weeks have been very pleasent and I have been setting Climate to OFF.? At least 95% ot the time it comes back full AUTO each time I restart. I then hit off and that is the way I shut down.? And the process repeats.? The 5% when it remains off at restart may be those times when I have only been out of the car for a few minutes before starting up again.? I was trying to pay attention but may have missed a few times the exact sequence.? I am CIP v15.2.? I am listing this as a fault as I believe this is just like the mute issue.
[snapback]117881[/snapback]
Old 04-21-2005, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Apr 20 2005, 09:26 PM
Re: Climate Control.? Last two weeks have been very pleasent and I have been setting Climate to OFF.? At least 95% ot the time it comes back full AUTO each time I restart. I then hit off and that is the way I shut down.? And the process repeats.? The 5% when it remains off at restart may be those times when I have only been out of the car for a few minutes before starting up again.? I was trying to pay attention but may have missed a few times the exact sequence.? I am CIP v15.2.? I am listing this as a fault as I believe this is just like the mute issue.
I think someone (maybe me) needs to test the theory I stated earlier in this thread. I think the key is to let the car go to sleep mode before we draw any conclusions.

Last night, a quick test on my car yielded the climate settings stayed the same if, for example, I switched the system from auto to a fixed fan speed then turned the car off and back on again. I didn't test to see what happens if the car went to sleep before turning it back on though...
Old 04-21-2005, 05:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 21 2005, 07:43 AM
[quote name='cobradav' date='Apr 20 2005, 09:26 PM']Re: Climate Control.? Last two weeks have been very pleasent and I have been setting Climate to OFF.? At least 95% ot the time it comes back full AUTO each time I restart. I then hit off and that is the way I shut down.? And the process repeats.? The 5% when it remains off at restart may be those times when I have only been out of the car for a few minutes before starting up again.? I was trying to pay attention but may have missed a few times the exact sequence.? I am CIP v15.2.? I am listing this as a fault as I believe this is just like the mute issue.
I think someone (maybe me) needs to test the theory I stated earlier in this thread. I think the key is to let the car go to sleep mode before we draw any conclusions.

Last night, a quick test on my car yielded the climate settings stayed the same if, for example, I switched the system from auto to a fixed fan speed then turned the car off and back on again. I didn't test to see what happens if the car went to sleep before turning it back on though...
[snapback]118047[/snapback]
[/quote]
In my case all the times I know for sure that it went to Auto from being set off at key removal, the car did go into sleep mode. My only uncertainty to date is if when it remained off at start up if the car had actually attained sleep mode or not. I did not make any specific tests so as u say Rudy, we do need to conduct specific tests. I'll try to remember to do that this afternoon for my situation and see how it may compare with urs and others.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 20 2005, 06:00 PM
Maybe your car is returning to Auto because of the same logic?? Try turning the climate control off then turning the car off and back on (but possibly waiting the 16 minutes or so for the car to go to sleep) and repeating that process a couple times (two or three).? If it still returns to Auto mode, then my theory is incorrect...
[snapback]117801[/snapback]
Rudy,

Thanks, and I have done this for the last few days. Each time I get out of the car I turn the climate to OFF. Every time I get back in it's back on AUTO. And each time it's definitely more than 16 minutes. So it looks like the radio on/off bug as well. Maybe this happens on NAV only cars too? Who knows. It's these simple things that annoy the hell out of me. Just like the radio did. If I turn something off it should be off the next time I start the car - climate, radio, etc. I have to now quickly remember to hit OFF so I don't get blasted by AC just as I used to have to hit mute before so I didn't get hit by music.

I personally think the NAV is 16.2 is a huge improvement. While it's true that the screen/real estate is now a tad smaller, I like the sidebar with the shortcuts a TON. It saves me from having to change screens, etc. I also like the Perspective view, the grid map, and the fact that I can mute the voice from that screen. Before I used to use the steering wheel button. Now I can program that button for my phone list. The other is for music source.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Members

I wonder if/how the following memory settings have to do with this:

Recirculated air memory = active
A/C off with AUTO = not active

But they make sense to me as they are.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well it sounds as if urbo has tested my theory...

Maybe it's just me but for something like climate control, I actually prefer that it defaults to auto -- even if it's a bug. I always leave it on auto so if it gets changed to something else, it's likely something temporary so I have no problem with the car setting it back for me.

I see many people in other cars misuse the auto climate settings because they don't realize that changing anything except the temperature setting will result in the overriding of automatic mode.

In other words, people who have it set to auto but become cold will reduce the fan speed instead of raising the temperature setting. Once they've changed the fan speed, auto is no longer active so guess what? They soon get warm and adjust the fan speed again. At this point, they're frustrated that the system "doesn't work" and they're "always having to screw around with it." I know someone who's had two S-classes over the last 5 years and still can't figure out how to put the system into auto (it's actually very counterintuitive the way M-B's auto switch is setup) and he's constantly battling the fan speed for his own comfort which results in passenger's setting becoming uncomfortable. (In his case, even if the car defaulted to auto mode on startup, he'd quickly screw it up by adjusting the fan speed.)

Oh well, if the fix this "bug" or if they don't, it won't affect me much at all...
Old 04-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 21 2005, 08:50 AM
Well it sounds as if urbo has tested my theory...

Maybe it's just me but for something like climate control, I actually prefer that it defaults to auto -- even if it's a bug.? I always leave it on auto so if it gets changed to something else, it's likely something temporary so I have no problem with the car setting it back for me.

I see many people in other cars misuse the auto climate settings because they don't realize that changing anything except the temperature setting will result in the overriding of automatic mode.

In other words, people who have it set to auto but become cold will reduce the fan speed instead of raising the temperature setting.? Once they've changed the fan speed, auto is no longer active so guess what?? They soon get warm and adjust the fan speed again.? At this point, they're frustrated that the system "doesn't work" and they're "always having to screw around with it."? I know someone who's had two S-classes over the last 5 years and still can't figure out how to put the system into auto (it's actually very counterintuitive the way M-B's auto switch is setup) and he's constantly battling the fan speed for his own comfort which results in passenger's setting becoming uncomfortable.? (In his case, even if the car defaulted to auto mode on startup, he'd quickly screw it up by adjusting the fan speed.)

Oh well, if the fix this "bug" or if they don't, it won't affect me much at all...
[snapback]118072[/snapback]
I tested at lunch time - three times with no sleep mode, but getting out of car, locking, unlocking, etc (all retained what I set at turn off whatever that was). Then let go to just after sleep mode and it came up in Auto.

As you say, just a small annoyance for some and a "feature" for others. I plan on keeping it in my "back pocket" for something wrong if I need a software update for something really kewl and nothing else is wrong. I can live with this as well as the radio mute and maybe a couple of other minor things.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 555' date='Apr 21 2005, 03:33 AM
... I wish BMW would ask real users what they want.?
[snapback]117885[/snapback]
They do!
Old 04-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

Mine remembers the settings for about 10 mins after the car is shut off. If I turn the auto off and then later turn the car off to run into a store, it will still be off when I get back in the car. So it seems like the "sleep" idea is correct.

As for the CD text, as was pointed out, the text is only on CD's with the text which is not very many. I have posted pics of mine displaying the song artist and title and I do have NAV, but most of my CD's do not show anything. My software version is 13.2.

Quick Reply: E060-05-03-520 (CIP 16.2) issue/comments