E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dynamic Xenon Hack Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks recently got a set of LCI Dynamic xenon units for a snip off ebay but were actually advertised as just the normal bi-xenon . I know a few people have hacked the wiring with resistors etc on the normal xenons. To be honest i'm not fussy about the dynamic bit working just all the rest to work.
The units i bought didnt come with the ballasts or dynamic control units so my questions are

1 Can i hack the wiring to make them work ?

2 Do i need to buy the dynamic control units even though i'm not fussy about that function ?

3 Any one have a lci dynamic headlight wiring diagram ?

PS , My car is a 2007 pre-lci already converted to lci halogens ... all help appreciated
Old 01-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Members

Would somebody with standard bi-xenons kindly take a photo of there headlight with the rear aperture open showing the wiring plug for the high beam shutter.....think i'm getting there
Old 01-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I'm confuse ... ... but let me see if I get the idea ... you are trying to convert your pre-LCI halogen headlight -> LCI Bi-Xenon ... yes I did it and at least few other that I can remember.

Dynamic headlight (AHL) is not available on the halogen so there are no wiring present for that future, if you are gonna make it work you may have to do a lot of work especially pulling wires from both headlights to the LCM.

If you do extensive search there are bunch of wiring diagram that has pin configuration for both pre-LCI and LCI headlights, also check w/ WDS to make sure.

The LCI Xenon headlight has no separate high beam instead it uses Bi-Xenon so you have to re-wire the pre-LCI high beam properly.
Proper convertion halogen -> Xenon must be done via coding otherwise the Xenon will strobe if you hack it you have to install capacitor or use canceler.

You also need to add ground/earth wire for Xenon headlight (Xenon headlight require 2 ground/earth) - one for ground/negative of all the bulb and another separate one just for the Xenon ballast/ignitor.

You'll have error on iDrive at least about the parking light as you already know halogen uses 2 bulb on each headlight while Xenon uses only one on top of that LCI Xenon uses 35watt so iDrive will shut off the parking light after a little bit of warning. You may have to use resistor and/or relay depending of what you want to do.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
I'm confuse ... ... but let me see if I get the idea ... you are trying to convert your pre-LCI halogen headlight -> LCI Bi-Xenon ... yes I did it and at least few other that I can remember.

Dynamic headlight (AHL) is not available on the halogen so there are no wiring present for that future, if you are gonna make it work you may have to do a lot of work especially pulling wires from both headlights to the LCM.

If you do extensive search there are bunch of wiring diagram that has pin configuration for both pre-LCI and LCI headlights, also check w/ WDS to make sure.

The LCI Xenon headlight has no separate high beam instead it uses Bi-Xenon so you have to re-wire the pre-LCI high beam properly.
Proper convertion halogen -> Xenon must be done via coding otherwise the Xenon will strobe if you hack it you have to install capacitor or use canceler.

You also need to add ground/earth wire for Xenon headlight (Xenon headlight require 2 ground/earth) - one for ground/negative of all the bulb and another separate one just for the Xenon ballast/ignitor.

You'll have error on iDrive at least about the parking light as you already know halogen uses 2 bulb on each headlight while Xenon uses only one on top of that LCI Xenon uses 35watt so iDrive will shut off the parking light after a little bit of warning. You may have to use resistor and/or relay depending of what you want to do.
Yes my car was originally pre lci but now has lci halogens wth resistor fitted to prevent idrive errors , have looked at wds for diagrams for lci bi-xenons and lci ahl and came to the conclusion that basically if you take away the ahl module wiring inside the headlamp the pin-outs are just the same apart from pin 8 which is not required on ahl plug as the level motor is controlled through the ahl module on ahl headlights. On the ahl wiring plug a lot of the wiring is black but have figured out what would be the thick yellow and brown for the ballast and the white and grey as per bi-xenon headlight wiring so that would allow me to hack with resistor ( canceller)
. All i need now is a picture or info as i'm left with black , brown , red and green wires from the xenon shutter module going to the ahl module wiring plug so a picture of the bi-xenon interior wiring would be handy as i cant find any reference to that on wds. So basically need to know how many wires and colours come from the bi-xenon shutter module
Old 01-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

The Bi-Xenon shutter are only 2 wires, one is grounded the other on pin #6 on the connector plug ... nothing is going to the AHL module, pin 8-11 is maybe for AHL (and self leveling) motor stuff the other go directly to the plug connector.

When in doubt use a multimeter to trace which pin goes where and do what.

Since you have halogen before and halogen again on the LCI headlight ... you'll need capacitor 'cuz you Xenon will strobe then your iDrive will have error, at least error on the parking light 'cuz your LCM can not handle the hi wattage then the main beam will strobe then shut off... but that's just my guess ... we shall see what you get.

GL!

Originally Posted by daviek
Yes my car was originally pre lci but now has lci halogens wth resistor fitted to prevent idrive errors , have looked at wds for diagrams for lci bi-xenons and lci ahl and came to the conclusion that basically if you take away the ahl module wiring inside the headlamp the pin-outs are just the same apart from pin 8 which is not required on ahl plug as the level motor is controlled through the ahl module on ahl headlights. On the ahl wiring plug a lot of the wiring is black but have figured out what would be the thick yellow and brown for the ballast and the white and grey as per bi-xenon headlight wiring so that would allow me to hack with resistor ( canceller)
. All i need now is a picture or info as i'm left with black , brown , red and green wires from the xenon shutter module going to the ahl module wiring plug so a picture of the bi-xenon interior wiring would be handy as i cant find any reference to that on wds. So basically need to know how many wires and colours come from the bi-xenon shutter module
Old 01-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Members

The Bi-Xenon shutter are only 2 wires, one is grounded the other on pin #6 on the connector plug ... nothing is going to the AHL module, pin 8-11 is maybe for AHL (and self leveling) motor stuff the other go directly to the plug connector.

When in doubt use a multimeter to trace which pin goes where and do what.

Since you have halogen before and halogen again on the LCI headlight ... you'll need capacitor 'cuz you Xenon will strobe then your iDrive will have error, at least error on the parking light 'cuz your LCM can not handle the hi wattage then the main beam will strobe then shut off... but that's just my guess ... we shall see what you get.

GL!
Yes know about the capacitor for the xenon , how did you overcome the h8 high wattage of the parking light ..... i was thinking of using those Y shaped led h8 bulbs which are only 10w not 35w
Old 01-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

LED is not bright enough especially during the day it didn't look like proper LCI headlight, I'm using GP Thunder std 35w H8 bulb w/ relay so it's even brighter than stock LCI.

The other problem also for hi beam, pre-LCI uses the inner/smaller reflector for hi-beam, on LCI there is no hi-beam in the inner reflector (it is in use for cornering light if you have a frosted lens AHL kind) so when you pull the stalk for hi-beam you only get the hi-beam shutter open/close but the Xenon will not fire, it's OK at night when you turn on the main beam from the headlight switch during the day you loose flash to pass or you can't flash hi-beam w/o firing up the Xenon first ... of course you can hack that too.

Another member here tried to use the LCI inner/reflector and re-wire (I think on pin #7 on the plug) it as hi-beam (otherwise iDrive will error 'cuz it's expecting to have a 55w H7 bulb and only got the shutter flap magnet) but then after a while it melted the lens 'cuz it wasn't design (the H3 bulb is to close inside it) as hi-beam you can search it to see the pics.

After all that at then end I got tired after blowing capacitor so many times (especially if you use the headlight for long period of time) and so many iDrive warnings and since my car came w/ LM2 I just fully upgraded my front and rear lights to LCI and properly re-wired then coded everything myself now I can fully enjoy LCI headlight w/ all the welcome light etc.

GL!

Originally Posted by daviek
Yes know about the capacitor for the xenon , how did you overcome the h8 high wattage of the parking light ..... i was thinking of using those Y shaped led h8 bulbs which are only 10w not 35w
Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Members

LED is not bright enough especially during the day it didn't look like proper LCI headlight, I'm using GP Thunder std 35w H8 bulb w/ relay so it's even brighter than stock LCI.

The other problem also for hi beam, pre-LCI uses the inner/smaller reflector for hi-beam, on LCI there is no hi-beam in the inner reflector (it is in use for cornering light if you have a frosted lens AHL kind) so when you pull the stalk for hi-beam you only get the hi-beam shutter open/close but the Xenon will not fire, it's OK at night when you turn on the main beam from the headlight switch during the day you loose flash to pass or you can't flash hi-beam w/o firing up the Xenon first ... of course you can hack that too.

Another member here tried to use the LCI inner/reflector and re-wire (I think on pin #7 on the plug) it as hi-beam (otherwise iDrive will error 'cuz it's expecting to have a 55w H7 bulb and only got the shutter flap magnet) but then after a while it melted the lens 'cuz it wasn't design (the H3 bulb is to close inside it) as hi-beam you can search it to see the pics.

After all that at then end I got tired after blowing capacitor so many times (especially if you use the headlight for long period of time) and so many iDrive warnings and since my car came w/ LM2 I just fully upgraded my front and rear lights to LCI and properly re-wired then coded everything myself now I can fully enjoy LCI headlight w/ all the welcome light etc.

GL!
Thanks for your info on that , much appreciated
Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 525i

Hi Guys,
I didn't get one point, if you have halogen LCI headlights how do you install bixenon, does the halogen light has bi xenon shutter ?