E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dynamic Reroute....and door locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Our 2000 Honda Odyssey will lock automatically if you un-lock the car and do not open a door within a given time. I suppose its to make sure the car stays locked if the remote un-intentionally unlocks the car. Rudy, I can't figure out how you locked the keys in the car. It will not lock if a door has been opened.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Jun 9 2005, 02:20 AM
Our 2000 Honda Odyssey will lock automatically if you un-lock the car and do not open a door within a given time.? I suppose its to make sure the car stays locked if the remote un-intentionally unlocks the car.? Rudy,? I can't figure out how you locked the keys in the car.? It will not lock if a door has been opened.
[snapback]137846[/snapback]
I can't figure it out either -- I can't recall exactly but I seem to remember that the car was running at the time. It was in my driveway so it was simple for me to go in the house and get the other key to unlock it. I know I didn't do anything to lock the car and as you know, you have to work pretty hard to lock the keys in the car while it's running...

All I can imagine is that there was a software glitch with the auto re-lock function. If not that, then there must have been a different glitch in software or maybe some strange radio interference that caused the car to lock? I doubt I'll ever know what happened but it sure takes away my confidence in using the auto re-lock feature (not that I need it anyway...)
Old 06-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 9 2005, 03:53 AM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Jun 9 2005, 02:20 AM']Our 2000 Honda Odyssey will lock automatically if you un-lock the car and do not open a door within a given time.?? I suppose its to make sure the car stays locked if the remote un-intentionally unlocks the car.?? Rudy,? I can't figure out how you locked the keys in the car.? It will not lock if a door has been opened.
[snapback]137846[/snapback]
I can't figure it out either -- I can't recall exactly but I seem to remember that the car was running at the time. It was in my driveway so it was simple for me to go in the house and get the other key to unlock it. I know I didn't do anything to lock the car and as you know, you have to work pretty hard to lock the keys in the car while it's running...

All I can imagine is that there was a software glitch with the auto re-lock function. If not that, then there must have been a different glitch in software or maybe some strange radio interference that caused the car to lock? I doubt I'll ever know what happened but it sure takes away my confidence in using the auto re-lock feature (not that I need it anyway...)
[snapback]137873[/snapback]
[/quote]

Damn, I didn't realize that the car was running. Now that is definately a software glitch. I wonder what the trigger to lock is? I am guessing that its 30 secs in motion, i.e. the car is in gear. Now if I left the car idling with door closed it would have to be in neutral and would need the clutch depressed to to change that. You have an SMG so maybe it was a software burp.

Wait... will your handbrake hold the car if you inadvertantly put the car in gear? I know you are an SMG wizz but maybe when it was new and you were getting used to it. That would explain the lock. Car in gear for x seconds, i.e. computer assumes driveoff and locks the doors. Actually handbrake was engaged and luckily kept the car in place.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Jun 11 2005, 03:10 AM
Wait... will your handbrake hold the car if you inadvertantly put the car in gear?? I know you are an SMG wizz but maybe when it was new and you were getting used to it.? That would explain the lock.? Car in gear for x seconds,? i.e. computer assumes driveoff and locks the doors.? Actually handbrake was engaged and luckily kept the car in place.
[snapback]138482[/snapback]
On an SMG, if you put the car in gear, it's the same as putting a manual in gear and keeping the clutch depressed so there's no unintended acceleration (my apologies to Audi. ) Also, if you have the SMG in gear, open a door and get out, it warns you about it and shifts itself into neutral.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Auto/Prem/Xenon/Nav/Sirius

I was in a Costco carpark last week, and there was a crowd of folks around a new E60 trying to break in because a baby was locked inside.

I do not know if the "auto-lock" was the cause of this child being locked inside the car in 100 degree heat, but imagine this scenario:

...You've just spent an hour toting your infant child around the store, you exit with a full cart and go to your car. Unlock car, open trunk, then unhitch baby from cart/buggy and place in car seat. Somehow you leave the car keys on the seat beside baby. You then close the door, load up the trunk with your purchases, close it and have a chat to someone admiring your new car. You then go to open drivers door, and uh... its locked. And the keys are inside. And so is the baby. And it must be 100+ in that car by now... and theres the costco tire dept guy with a sledge hammer...

Needless to say, I double checked that my option is off - and I NEVER close all the doors on the car with the baby inside if I am outside.

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Jun 8 2005, 07:53 AM
thx for the replies guys.

i kind of figured the locking feature was a bit of a double edged sword. on the one hand you've got the security aspect knowing that if you leave the car open it will at least lock on its own but on the flip side if you forget your keys are in it and walkaway (assuming noone nicks it in the meantime) at least you'll still be able to get back in.

currently i have the feature disabled.....just wanted to canvas opinions on it.
[snapback]137554[/snapback]
Old 08-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like there may be a bug in the "auto re-lock" software. (See my above posts...)