E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dynamic Drive Warning

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

Recently my 2005 545i w 81k miles started having Dynamic Drive warning messages. The message would usually come on, then go away. More recently the message is appearing more frequently, accompanied by 1) Radio cutting in and out - no warning sound though 2) The clock and trip meter being reset 3)speedo and tach needles fluctuating as if losing and regaining power.

Any suggestions? I have searched and read some of the other threads on the Dynamic Drive. Has anyone actually had to pay out of their pocket to cure this problem? Wonder if this could have been caused as result of repairs performed after my accident.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i, Sports Package, Nav, Prem Sound

Maybe its your battery charge state or your charging system. I know these cars are very sensitive when it comes to powering the electronics. Random electrical problems can be the symptom.

Originally Posted by LJTX545I' post='845826' date='Apr 13 2009, 02:00 PM
Recently my 2005 545i w 81k miles started having Dynamic Drive warning messages. The message would usually come on, then go away. More recently the message is appearing more frequently, accompanied by 1) Radio cutting in and out - no warning sound though 2) The clock and trip meter being reset 3)speedo and tach needles fluctuating as if losing and regaining power.

Any suggestions? I have searched and read some of the other threads on the Dynamic Drive. Has anyone actually had to pay out of their pocket to cure this problem? Wonder if this could have been caused as result of repairs performed after my accident.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

Originally Posted by amit1947' post='845857' date='Apr 13 2009, 01:25 PM
Maybe its your battery charge state or your charging system. I know these cars are very sensitive when it comes to powering the electronics. Random electrical problems can be the symptom.
Yeah I wonder if sitting at the body shop for a month might have done some harm to the battery. I'll start by checking here, thanks.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Members

The indicator on the battery implies that it is good (green).
Old 04-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by LJTX545I' post='845826' date='Apr 13 2009, 02:00 PM

Had the same problem. Mine had 1,2, 3 and eventually the whole car would crash and leave me stranded on the side of the road. Wait a bit, turn on the car, it's back to normal. For a while. Changed the battery. Fine for about a couple of months. Happened again.

Brought it to the SA and found out it was the Alternator. Replaced under warranty thank god.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DKNewYork' post='846206' date='Apr 13 2009, 06:46 PM
Had the same problem. Mine had 1,2, 3 and eventually the whole car would crash and leave me stranded on the side of the road. Wait a bit, turn on the car, it's back to normal. For a while. Changed the battery. Fine for about a couple of months. Happened again.

Brought it to the SA and found out it was the Alternator. Replaced under warranty thank god.
Hmm I guess I'll go have my mechanic check the alternator while I'm in for brakes. I haven't been stranded yet but that would be bad. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Members

This weekend I found what I think to be the source of the problem. For a few days the warning stopped coming, then we had a rain storm. The warning was coming more frequently, and my clock and Active steering kept re-initializing. So when the rain finally stopped, I had another look at my battery.

Looking at my battery in the daylight it was finally clear to me that the battery was sitting in a pool of water 4 inches deep. I pumped out most of the water with a hand pump and have been using paper towels to dry the rest. Since then the warnings have not come back.

What I can't explain is that the water seems to keep coming back. I think it may have something to do with the repairs from my accident.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by LJTX545I' post='860474' date='Apr 27 2009, 01:47 PM
This weekend I found what I think to be the source of the problem. For a few days the warning stopped coming, then we had a rain storm. The warning was coming more frequently, and my clock and Active steering kept re-initializing. So when the rain finally stopped, I had another look at my battery.

Looking at my battery in the daylight it was finally clear to me that the battery was sitting in a pool of water 4 inches deep. I pumped out most of the water with a hand pump and have been using paper towels to dry the rest. Since then the warnings have not come back.

What I can't explain is that the water seems to keep coming back. I think it may have something to do with the repairs from my accident.
check the trunk seal, and if there's a drain down at the bottom of the battery compartment (there should be) make sure it's not blocked by anything.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by LJTX545I' post='845826' date='Apr 13 2009, 11:00 AM

+1 Check out your battery.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Members

Update: Went back to the body shop to show them the problem. I poured water from a cup over the passenger side gutter and water started pouring in from the two vents above the battery. Shop is ordering some parts and hopefully this will be the end of these problems.

In the past week I have been checking the battery compartment daily. If it rains I have to pump it out, otherwise I use a paper towel to soak up what's collected overnight. Since I started doing this the warnings have not come back. Maybe I should change the title of this thread so it's more helpful to others who might experience this in the future.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Drive Warning