E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dynamic Drive Error - Power Steering Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62
Default Dynamic Drive Error - Power Steering Fluid?

Hello All,

In the last few months, I have from time to time gotten the Dynamic Drive Malfunction. Once the car is turned off and restarted, the message goes away. This has been occurring a lot more frequently in the last week. Battery seems good, alternator not 100% sure, but in watching the voltage it seems stable. No significant spikes or dips. I heard low PS Fuild could be the culprit. I am embarrased to admit, I do not know how to read the dipstick. I do not see a Min or Cold level. I have attached a pic I got from the internet. There is a line that says MAX, but it is toward the bottom of the dipstick. Is this the MAX mark? I checked it a few hours after I got home from work. I am sure it was still hotter than 20c and the fluid was at the top of the word MAX. Any help would be appreciated! Btw, the fluid is very clean.
Attached Thumbnails Dynamic Drive Error - Power Steering Fluid?-psdip.jpg  

Last edited by Hyper_545i; 07-17-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:02 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
Hello All,

In the last few months, I have from time to time gotten the Dynamic Drive Malfunction. Once the car is turned off and restarted, the message goes away. This has been occurring a lot more frequently in the last week. Battery seems good, alternator not 100% sure, but in watching the voltage it seems stable. No significant spikes or dips. I heard low PS Fuild could be the culprit. I am embarrased to admit, I do not know how to read the dipstick. I do not see a Min or Cold level. I have attached a pic I got from the internet. There is a line that says MAX, but it is toward the bottom of the dipstick. Is this the MAX mark? I checked it a few hours after I got home from work. I am sure it was still hotter than 20c and the fluid was at the top of the word MAX. Any help would be appreciated! Btw, the fluid is very clean.
Yes,, that line is the max level line. Check the fluid when the car is cold. With heat the fluid expands and will not give u the true level of fluid. I also got a dynamic drive malfunction I topped it off and it never came back... But that " BLING" and the error message ,, does give u a little scare though. It did me ..U can practically feel money jump out of your wallet... lol

Last edited by H F; 07-17-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 AM
Contributors

LOL! I hate that "BLING" sound! Makes my hear race every time I hear it. Thank you for the reply. I am going to have to wait until the car is parked in the garage for a few days. We are experiencing a heat wave here in the Northeast and even checking the level at night, the fluid is still too hot. BMW Recommends checking the fluid level at 20C or 68F. I hope that is all it is. I may get the DD Error a few days in a row and then nothing for awhile.

Thank you again H F!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

Make sure you use the correct fluid if you need to add any. It should be listed on the reservoir cap or nearby.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by baveagle
Make sure you use the correct fluid if you need to add any. It should be listed on the reservoir cap or nearby.
Thank you baveagle! The PS Fluid required is Pentosin CHF 11s.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
LOL! I hate that "BLING" sound! Makes my hear race every time I hear it. Thank you for the reply. I am going to have to wait until the car is parked in the garage for a few days. We are experiencing a heat wave here in the Northeast and even checking the level at night, the fluid is still too hot. BMW Recommends checking the fluid level at 20C or 68F. I hope that is all it is. I may get the DD Error a few days in a row and then nothing for awhile.

Thank you again H F!
Ur welcome Bro.. happy to help. Ya,, I hate that BLING too. It gets me all rattled,,, every time. lol.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: '07 530i

Apologies for resurecting this somewhat old thread, but wanted to add a bit of info that really doesn't need a new topic.

I had a similar problem with my '07 530i. I had the car about 3 weeks and suddenly, after an hour drive, the dynamic drive error popped up as I was turning into a parking space. For the next several days, the error would pop up from time to time, but only after driving for over half an hour. It would reset when restarting the car.

I Google'd the error and found everything from bad battery/alternator/voltage regulator to simply low power steering fluid level. A new battery was installed and properly registered when I got the car and putting a meter on the alternator showed that to be good as well. The power steering fluid level looked okay too. However, I added a bit of PS fluid and found that the error now occurred more frequently. So, I then sucked out most of the PS fluid from the reservior and refilled it to the proper level. Bingo! Problem solved. So, in addition to a low PS fluid level causing this problem, too much fluid can also cause this error.

What concerns me a bit is the fact that the PS fluid reservoir is supposed to vent, but I never had fluid venting. So, I'm wondering if I have a clogged reservoir cap or is the dynamic drive system more sensitive than the power steering system. Although perhaps not necessary now that I've got the PS fluid level set properly, I'm probably going to replace the PS reservoir cap just to be on the safe side.