E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DVD input??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was checking behind some panels in the boot and found the video module for my TV, it has a 2 large multiway connectors. one is used and has both wires and fibre optic cables coming from it, the other is unused and It must be where the reversing camera/dvd/etc inputs to it.

Interestingly there is a dvd changer sized cubby hole with side mounting points right next to it. surely this is going to be a retrofittable system, perhaps even with video outs to the rear of the car

anyone got any ideas here???

DD
Old 07-08-2004, 02:20 AM
Contributors

You should have taken a picture DD. I took some of some of the inputs back there for a different thread, but couldn't identify them. Was this what you're talking about?
Attached Thumbnails DVD input??-07010006.jpg  
Old 07-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Doc Diesel, I know that the rear entertainment package (I heard it'll be available from September on), has a 6 DVD changer what will be installed somewhere in the trunk on the driver's side. So the input you found might be for that.

There is also a settop box (digital TV) available for BMW's what will be installed somewhere back there too.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:02 AM
Contributors

No. its a bigger multiway socket on the video module.

DD
Old 07-08-2004, 05:03 AM
Contributors

Digital TV....tell me more please....I would love to add this.

DD
Old 07-08-2004, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know if you have Digital TV like this in the UK allready. It is the regular TV stations broadcasting their programm terrestrial, but in digital now. They just start to do that over here in Germany, so the quality is waaay better and you could even watch in an almost perfect quality even when the car is in motion (what is still illegal and needs to be modified aftermarket).
All major German TV stations are now airing their programm in the usual terrestrial way AND in the digital one. So having a so called settop box, you can switch from analogous TV to digital TV via the remote (and it's both displayed on the idrive screen). In the near future there will be more than just TV programms on the digital broadcast. It's a fast growing market and it's expected that in about three or four years digital TV (terrestrial) will be available all over Germany without exception.
Example on the quality:
I live in Frankfurt (Main). And in the city you can fairly watch three programms. With the digital TV module it will be about two dozen programms in almost perfect quality.
What I am speeking about is called "DVB-T".
DIGITAL VIDEO BROADCAST-TERRESTRIAL.
I don't know if that's available in the UK allready.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Oh - I forgot to say that there was a very short article (more a little note) about the availibility of this settop box on BMW's in the BMW Magazine 2/2004 (German issue).
Old 07-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Finally I got the price for it confirmed by my dealer.

It's 975,- Euro (installation included).

And you can switch via remote from digital to analogous TV. Together with the somewhen to come software update what will allow playing movie DVD's on the DVD drive and a module to watch even when car is in motion, you have everything you need to entertain your passengers, while you have the sheer driving pleasure.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:33 AM
Senior Members

Iceman,

do you have the numbers for this ? and a schema how it is installed ?
I wan to order also this:

- I have the prof nav.
- I need digital tv incl text.
- I want to play DVD
- I want an external AV in
- I want to connect rear screens

What do I need
Old 12-05-2004, 02:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Digital TV (terrestrial) has been available in the UK for a few years now.

The Govt plan to unplug analogue TV sometime soon, but everyone thinks it will be a while away yet. As most TVs being sold are still only analogue. You have to buy a big and expensive TV to get it digital-ready. So most use a set-top box. IMHO a crap solution.

BTW, I bought 2 TVs this year. 1 Sony 32" widescreen, analogue. 1 17" LCD, also analogue.

Some factors:
1) Shops still sell analogue TVs, so they can't "switch off" unless they provide set-top boxes to everyone FOC (IMHO)
2) I can't get a decent analogue signal, let alone a digital signal (so I use Sky)

Quick Reply: DVD input??