E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dunlop Sport Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I ordered Dunlop Sport Maxx for my M166 setup. There were vibrations from day one and I had the the wheels rebalanced two times (+once at first assembly) and the vibrations didn't disappear. It was always at its worst after the car had been parked for a couple of days. I've discussed it with Dunlop directly and they were very kind and offered my two new 245/35-19" tires. These were mounted on Friday and the car felt good on my way home from the tire shop. Unfortunately this morning the vibrations are back.... Does anybody else have this behaviour?? I had plenty of setups as this one before but never experienced this!
Please give me some comments...

Do I have to mention that the tire shop managed to scratch the rims a bit...

Have a nice day!

//R
Old 10-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Robbo' post='347861' date='Oct 23 2006, 01:37 AM
Hi,

I ordered Dunlop Sport Maxx for my M166 setup. There were vibrations from day one and I had the the wheels rebalanced two times (+once at first assembly) and the vibrations didn't disappear. It was always at it's worst after the car had been parked for a couple of days. I've discussed it with Dunlop directly and they were very kind and offered my two new 245/35-19" tires. These were mounted on Friday and the car felt good on my way home from the tire shop. Unfortunately this morning the vibrations are back.... Does anybody else have this behaviour?? I had plenty of setups as this one before but never experienced this!
Do I have to mention that the tire shop managed to scratch the rims a bit...

Have a nice day!

//R
I've had these tyres for about 6 months now... no vibrations but I do find when turning hard (on hot dry surface), it skids. Very disappointing for something that has been rated very on the the tyre rack (when I bought it). I have also heard that as the tyres wear, it gets rather noisy... BTW, my setup is 245/19 and 275/19.... can't remember the middle number......
Old 10-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Originally Posted by Robbo' post='347861' date='Oct 23 2006, 02:37 AM
These were mounted on Friday and the car felt good on my way home from the tire shop. Unfortunately this morning the vibrations are back.... Does anybody else have this behaviour?? I had plenty of setups as this one before but never experienced this!
It sounds like flatspotting to me, but it shouldn't happen to such an extreme after such a short time. Flatspots usually occur after the car sits in one place over a long time.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by alpineweiss' post='348103' date='Oct 24 2006, 12:42 AM
It sounds like flatspotting to me, but it shouldn't happen to such an extreme after such a short time. Flatspots usually occur after the car sits in one place over a long time.
Well, Dunlop says that this phenomenon is usual and should disappear after some 5 kms (3 miles). If a tire has a lot of nylon in its structure this is the back side of it. I drove around for some 40 kms yesterday evening (speeds up to 180 km/h) and strangely the vibrations disappeared. The sad part is that I only have some 10 kms to work and this isn't enough for the tires to stabilize...

It seams that I have to live with this.

At GuruGreg:

I haven't notice such behaviour. Maybe because we have so much rain here...

//R