E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dunlop SP01 Run flats

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

I have the same tyres in the UK & they are as bad as yours, premature
wear compared to any tyre on any car I have owned in last 20 years. I tried to pursue with BMW UK who referred me to Dunlop who also spun me a yarn about my problems being the 1st time they had heard about it. I know that BMW/Dunlop USA recognise the problem & do something about it. If BMW Australia are the same as UK then I fear you will be wasting your time trying to get them to resolve the issue. I'm not one to bear a grudge! but Dunlop & BMW look very bad over this shoddy customer care. It wouldn't look too good for BMW or Dunlop if a tyre problem caused injury in UK, bearing in mind that they admit a problem in USA but deny it here!.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' post='267070' date='Apr 10 2006, 10:42 AM
I have the same tyres in the UK & they are as bad as yours, premature
wear compared to any tyre on any car I have owned in last 20 years. I tried to pursue with BMW UK who referred me to Dunlop who also spun me a yarn about my problems being the 1st time they had heard about it. I know that BMW/Dunlop USA recognise the problem & do something about it. If BMW Australia are the same as UK then I fear you will be wasting your time trying to get them to resolve the issue. I'm not one to bear a grudge! but Dunlop & BMW look very bad over this shoddy customer care. It wouldn't look too good for BMW or Dunlop if a tyre problem caused injury in UK, bearing in mind that they admit a problem in USA but deny it here!.
Seems to me it doesn't matter if they claim it's the first time this has happened or not...

If you have a set of tyres that require replacement cause of uneven wear within 12500miles on a new car then either:

1. The vehicle manufacturer is liable because the wheel camber and / or alignment is incorrect/

2. The tyre itself is at fault.

I would be chasing BMW only since they supplied the car AND the tyres....

Even driven harshly most quality tyres will give you 30,000 miles. In any event, BMW cannot blame the consumer for the uneven wear I have seen photo's of on this forum.

Excessive wear on the inner edge of tyres cannot be caused by harsh driving.

I'd be kicking up a major fuss with my dealer if this were my car:

1. Because it is dangerous - as has been correctly pointed out above.

2. Because the wear is on the inner edge it is going to be hard to see without removing the wheels, making it likely that people will end up driving on illegal tyres..