E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dunlop SP01 Run flats

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 04:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525 i 2004, Olivine, tan leather, woodgrain, Nav, sunroof, Xenon,

Just done 20,000 kms on these run flats, completely worn on the insides, BMW does not want to know about it neither does Dunlop.
Heard that this tyre was recalled in US by BMW dealers, any information, documentation will be welcome.
I now have to replace all 4 tyres plus pay BMW for alignment.
Quick reply appreciated.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by dilhan' post='265858' date='Apr 7 2006, 08:39 AM
Just done 20,000 kms on these run flats, completely worn on the insides, BMW does not want to know about it neither does Dunlop.
Heard that this tyre was recalled in US by BMW dealers, any information, documentation will be welcome.
Quick reply appreciated.
You can't get a reply any quicker than a search. This subject has been beaten to death.
cheers
vern
Old 04-07-2006, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by dilhan' post='265858' date='Apr 7 2006, 01:39 PM
Quick reply appreciated.

I just had non run flats fitted and the guys said that my wheel alignment was out but 1.5, he said this would wear the inside of the tyres far too quickly.
I said I would look into it before changing it in case it was like that for a reason.

Have a look at my post about tyre sizes, and ditch the run flats, they are pure eveil anyway!
Old 04-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

As vern says use the Search mode.

A lot of Dunlop RF's have been replced in the US
for that same reason.

But you have to get rid of those RF's anyway.

Do yourself a favor, buy your car some nice non RF tyres
(Bridgestone, Continental, Michelin or Pirelli).

PS. Please update your whereabouts and car data!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dilhan' post='265858' date='Apr 7 2006, 01:39 PM
Quick reply appreciated.
Just posted this on another thread ... clearly this is a well known issue:

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/ourTyres/car/tyreCare/

Tyres should wear evenly - if they don't there is a problem with camber / alignment.

It should be sorted under warranty (IMO), but then your going to have a fight and probably end up with another set of run flats..... alternative is to just buy new tyres yourself.

Since you've only got 12,500 miles out of them... I'd be fighting ..... When I got rid of my last car (e46 coupe) it had covered 46,000 miles on the original tyres which were 1/4 worn in the front and half worn on the rear.......

If it is just the runflats then fair enough... ... but if this is a set up issue, then you may still see excessive wear on normal tyres....?
Old 04-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 525 i 2004, Olivine, tan leather, woodgrain, Nav, sunroof, Xenon,

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='265866' date='Apr 7 2006, 07:56 AM
I just had non run flats fitted and the guys said that my wheel alignment was out but 1.5, he said this would wear the inside of the tyres far too quickly.
I said I would look into it before changing it in case it was like that for a reason.

Have a look at my post about tyre sizes, and ditch the run flats, they are pure eveil anyway!
Guys, the information posted by Rudi, on recall gives me some confidence that BMW may come to the party and meet some of the cost for tyre replacement however I am Preparing myself to purchase 4 Non Run Flats tyres. Can this be done without changing rim?
ie. is it as easy as swapping from Run flats to conventional?
Local tyre shop says it is illegal since rim is suited only to runflats and may negate warranty?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by dilhan' post='266255' date='Apr 7 2006, 09:46 PM
Can this be done without changing rim?
ie. is it as easy as swapping from Run flats to conventional?
Local tyre shop says it is illegal since rim is suited only to runflats and may negate warranty?

Yes it can be done without chaning the rim. Our rims on the E60s are not Run flat specific rims.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I had my Dunlops replaced by BMW for free because of tire roar. I don't remember them replacing for uneven tire wear.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

Uneven tire wear causes the roar.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Yes, but not bald on the inside edge and tread on the outside edge.

Quick Reply: Dunlop SP01 Run flats