E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Which Tyre has Better Wear and Longer Life?
Dunlop SP Sport MAXX
47.62%
Goodyear F1 GSD3
52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Dunlop SP Sport MAXX -vs- Goodyear F1 GSD3

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

Never used the Sport Maxx, but the noise the GSD3's made after 10k miles was unbearable. I went with Bridgestone RE050 Pole Position as a replacement which I like better than the GSD3's when they were new.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Members

buy michelin's ps2 the best street legal tyre I have been using ever! comes as a standart for bmw m's porsche's...

I've heard that e60 on good year f1 have some problem with balance on high speed corners
Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Members

My Ride: [s]07 E60 535d LCI.Silver.172.Hifi.Ipod.Rear Tints.M Spoiler.[/s] 07 B7 RS4 Avant Misano Red 54 E87 120d Sport Sparkling Graphite

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='532290' date='Feb 17 2008, 10:07 AM
I dont think you will find any GSD3s left in the right size for a 5 series, they have been replaced by the Assymetric F1 in larger sizes. The GSD3 and the F1 Assymetric have pretty much won every test they have been in the sportmax has not. I know what I would buy.
Same experience as me, just a couple of weeks ago. Wanted GSD3, but not available in 275/19" so ended up with Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. Good price and seem to bed in quickly (vs SC2)
Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI, Barbera Red with beige leather, Navigation, premium package, cold weather package, 18 inch wheels, 2007 530XI, Monaco Blue with Auburn leather , Navigation, Logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, M-Aero kit, Rear Spoiler, 18 inch 135m style wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, AngeliBrights. 2008 650i convertible Titaniun Silver Chateau pearl leather,Gray top, cold weather package, Logic 7 premium sound, comfort access.

Originally Posted by xephar' post='532126' date='Feb 16 2008, 02:36 PM
Hello All,

I have got Dunlop SP9000 currently on the rear tyres and these now need to be replaced have only done about 12k miles over 10 Months and would expect them to last longer? Could also be alignment problem as inside of tyre has very uneven wear.
I also have 20 inch wheels and had the alignment originally done by KwikFit who said they can do it but now have my doubts, Any thoughts on this?

Any way I am currently deciding between the above tyres, both seem to offer good performance but I would like to know peoples experience with Tyre Life.

Which tyre would you say has the longest tread life?

Please do leave your comments it is much appreciated.
I've had the Goodyears for two years as summer tires and have about 16,000 on them. They are a great all around performance tire and are incredible in the rain. I expect to get another full season out of them before they need to be replaced and I drive very aggressively wet or dry. If you can find them try em.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530D Sport

Well I have ordered the Dunlop Maxx Tyres! Will get them 2moro!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:57 AM
jer
Members

Where the Dunlop Maxxs any good?

Blackcircles is offering a good deal on 245/40/18s fitted for ?127 vs ?180 for Goodyear F1 Asymetrics (?160 best)

I'm still baffled why my old 330i 235/45/17 Y RE050s cost ?100 but the same tyre in 245/40/18 costs ?160.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I had the Goodyear on my R32, as currently does my father.... I hated them from day one... they seem to Burn up at a faster rate than any other tire I had on it. Good grip, no wet traction at all. Dad says the same thing. I ended up trying Kumho's, Dunlop s, BFG KDW's... The BFG KDW's I liked the best, Awesome Dry traction good wet traction, decent tread wear

Goodyear s I got about 8k tops
Dunlop s about the same
Kumho s even less, but they had a 30k tred wear guarantee so it was like getting free tires
BFG KDW's I got about 14-15k on the two sets I had... even though they had only a 200 tread wear rating vs most of the others were over 300.... Only negative I have to say about them , They were loud... but that really did not matter with the R32 cause that was all engine noise...

My r32, my dad's r32, and my Bros STI all had the same size tire, and all were AWD, so we all cross shopped and compared. The Goodyears were all prone to Blisters/pinches in the side walls... and that was well known in the VW Vortex forums.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I have the Sport Maxx's and they are really quiet as new ones, but I only have some 3,000 km's on them.

The company is called GoodYear but their tires are also Dunlop, Kelly, Sava and Fulda.

The Michelin PS2's are the best on dry surfaces and most lasting but also the most expensive.
They perform really bad on wet surfices.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='748728' date='Dec 19 2008, 07:46 AM
I had the Goodyear on my R32, as currently does my father.... I hated them from day one... they seem to Burn up at a faster rate than any other tire I had on it. Good grip, no wet traction at all. Dad says the same thing. I ended up trying Kumho's, Dunlop s, BFG KDW's... The BFG KDW's I liked the best, Awesome Dry traction good wet traction, decent tread wear

Goodyear s I got about 8k tops
Dunlop s about the same
Kumho s even less, but they had a 30k tred wear guarantee so it was like getting free tires
BFG KDW's I got about 14-15k on the two sets I had... even though they had only a 200 tread wear rating vs most of the others were over 300.... Only negative I have to say about them , They were loud... but that really did not matter with the R32 cause that was all engine noise...

My r32, my dad's r32, and my Bros STI all had the same size tire, and all were AWD, so we all cross shopped and compared. The Goodyears were all prone to Blisters/pinches in the side walls... and that was well known in the VW Vortex forums.
You quite simply can't have had the GS-D3. You must have had a different tire. The GS-D3 wet performance is its strong point... It's also the top rated tire in its category on TireRack - scoring most points for wet traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...lay.jsp?type=MP
Old 12-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Tire rack ain't all it's cracked up to be... Some of the consumer ratings are pretty wack. I'm telling you 3 different AWD cars , 3 different drivers that drove each others cars , and all of us came to the same conclusion....
They suck in the wet.

It is the the f1 Gs-d3 is the factory stock tire on EVERY USDM MKIV VW r32.
My dad had 2 sets, I had one set, my bro on the Scubie had one , they all sucked in the rain , and all 3 cars are Great cars for bad weather. Look in the MKIv r32 forums on the Vortex, US drivers were sending the factory Goodyear tires back over to Europe to get the Michelin Ps2's that were stock over there, and paying shipping and cash. Don't get me wrong in the Dry they were AWESOME! I just think the those applications there were not the correct tire.

You can say what you want , I'm just trying to give you a heads up. I really dislike the wet performance on them, I'll trade Road noise for wet performance any day. The reason the GS-d3 win most comparisons is their cost compared to other makes... Other tire will out perform them , but cost more, and usually the Gs-d3's are on special , at least till Oil went up in the summer, they went up a bunch then.

You will hate the Blisters in the Side walls especially if you live in a pot whole prone area. Atl and Bham are both prone to "Bomb crater" pot wholes, but up in the mid west and NE I'd not want to take the chance.

it's up to personal choice , but I'm just trying to give my personal experience with them.

Quick Reply: Dunlop SP Sport MAXX -vs- Goodyear F1 GSD3