E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dunlop run flats

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my 530 to the shop Friday to have the Dunlops replaced with Bridgestones. The Dunlops have a bit over 17,000 miles on them, and none of the wear marks that the BMW release addressing the issue indicates are a prerequisite to getting a subsidy. Lots of road noise though, especially over the last 4,000 miles. The guy at BMWNA assured me that I'd get 50% of the cost of the Bridgestones coverred by BWANA.

So, what's the prognosis? Should I ask for more than 50%. I have no idea what the expected lifespan of this tire is. Thanks, JJ.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I had mine replaced with $0 out of pocket. They covered the whole thing. They were replaced with Dunlops again but so far no issues.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Members

Excuse me guys, how do you get replacement tyres at discounted prices? Something happening on your side of the pond that isn't happening on ours?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I just had my Dunflops (no spelling error here) replaced with Bridgestones and WOW, what a difference. They are much quieter and I really think the ride is a lot better too. It is truly like having a new car all over again. Since the Dunflops got noisey gradually, I just didn't notice how bad they really were. They were especially bad when braking.

This replacement was at 10,500 miles and totally at BMW's expense. I really appreciate it that BMW covered this fully and I hope they get reimbursed by Dunflop, who should be ashamed to have put these tires on the market.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Aug 24 2005, 12:45 PM
I just had my Dunflops (no spelling error here) replaced with Bridgestones and WOW, what a difference.? They are much quieter and I really think the ride is a lot better too.? It is truly like having a new car all over again.? Since the Dunflops got noisey gradually, I just didn't notice how bad they really were.? They were especially bad when braking.?

This replacement was at 10,500 miles and totally at BMW's expense.? I really appreciate it that BMW covered this fully and I hope they get reimbursed by Dunflop, who should be ashamed to have put these tires on the market.
[snapback]162976[/snapback]
Are the Bridgestones runflats?
Old 08-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' date='Aug 24 2005, 01:50 PM
Are the Bridgestones runflats?
[snapback]162979[/snapback]
Yes they are the runflat version of the Potenza RE50 and they seem to handle as well as the Dunflops did. Turn-in feels the same, i.e. not flexy. I was expecting a similar ride, but they do seem softer over rough pavement. I am finally getting more of the luxury component of the BMW ride that I expected. The Dunflops had about 60% of their tread left, so maybe that had something to do with their harsher ride quality.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Aug 24 2005, 02:17 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Aug 24 2005, 01:50 PM']Are the Bridgestones runflats?
Yes they are the runflat version of the Potenza RE50 and they seem to handle as well as the Dunflops did. Turn-in feels the same, i.e. not flexy. I was expecting a similar ride, but they do seem softer over rough pavement. I am finally getting more of the luxury component of the BMW ride that I expected. The Dunflops had about 60% of their tread left, so maybe that had something to do with their harsher ride quality.
[snapback]162988[/snapback]
[/quote]
I had to have my Dunlops changed at 19000 miles due to all the problems where you guys get warranty replacements (noise, wear on inside edge, etc).

BMW UK refuse at this stage to offer any support and I had to pay the full amount for replacement of the tyres (I opted for Bridgestones and so far they have been excellent). BMW UK refuse to admit any form of problem simply stating that runflats wear out a lot quicker than conventional tyres due to the solid sidewalls.

So how come in one country BMW say there is a problem and somewhere else they refuse to admit?

I am considering my next stage but it could get legal.......
Old 08-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by whihr' date='Aug 24 2005, 02:32 PM
[quote name='gwf545' date='Aug 24 2005, 02:17 PM'][quote name='stream' date='Aug 24 2005, 01:50 PM']Are the Bridgestones runflats?
[/quote]
I had to have my Dunlops changed at 19000 miles due to all the problems where you guys get warranty replacements (noise, wear on inside edge, etc).

BMW UK refuse at this stage to offer any support and I had to pay the full amount for replacement of the tyres (I opted for Bridgestones and so far they have been excellent). BMW UK refuse to admit any form of problem simply stating that runflats wear out a lot quicker than conventional tyres due to the solid sidewalls.

So how come in one country BMW say there is a problem and somewhere else they refuse to admit?

[snapback]162993[/snapback]
[/quote]

Did you show them the related BMW NA Service Bulletin posted elsewhere on this site? I would think that would make them take notice that something was wrong with those tires. However, 19K miles is quite a bit, so you probably should only get partial credit since you did get a lot out of the originals.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I had well over 20K miles on my car with very little tread left on the back and the inner tread blocks on the front "gone". 100% covered!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Aug 24 2005, 02:37 PM
[quote name='whihr' date='Aug 24 2005, 02:32 PM'][quote name='gwf545' date='Aug 24 2005, 02:17 PM'][quote name='stream' date='Aug 24 2005, 01:50 PM']Are the Bridgestones runflats?
[/quote]

[snapback]162993[/snapback]
[/quote]

Did you show them the related BMW NA Service Bulletin posted elsewhere on this site? I would think that would make them take notice that something was wrong with those tires. However, 19K miles is quite a bit, so you probably should only get partial credit since you did get a lot out of the originals.
[snapback]162998[/snapback]
[/quote]

I did show them the bulletin but they argued that it did not apply in the UK.......

Same tyres, same car, so why the difference?

Quick Reply: Dunlop run flats