E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dunlop RFT Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='351060' date='Nov 1 2006, 02:43 AM
I happended to be at my BMW dealer to have the car inspected by someone from the Service dept. and we drifted on to the topic of run flat tyres... the guy did not stop cursing!! I get the impression that these RFT tyres are also driving the poor guys in the Service / Maintenance departments at BMW mad too :thumbsdown:
Did you ask them why they started cursing? My guess is that they hate them not because of any performance issues -- I'm betting that they hate them becase they are quite difficult to mount/dismount on the rims...
Old 11-01-2006, 06:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='351115' date='Nov 1 2006, 07:27 AM
Did you ask them why they started cursing? My guess is that they hate them not because of any performance issues -- I'm betting that they hate them becase they are quite difficult to mount/dismount on the rims...
I think you're right Rudy - my guys have outsourced the install to a local tire place because they can't swap the tires out without dinging up my wheels (which they have had to pay to have repaired). I think these RFTs are somewhat lose-lose for BMW. I'm on my second free set as well, reportedly Dunlop paid for the first pair but BMW eats the replacement costs going forward. Tack on the additional charge to the tire installer (and potential wheel-nick repair shop) and you've got a steady cash drain.

And yet, for free I too keep riding on 'em.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='351115' date='Nov 1 2006, 02:27 PM
I guess it was an element of what you were saying Rudy, but the main thing he was frustrated with was what it did to the drive of the car. Similar to what you see here in the forum, he talked about handling and noise levels. The main cursing from him was about the politics of tyre manufacturers and that BMW suffered as a consequence. He was very pro non-RFT and did not give me any kind of ear bashing about "you should not steer away from what BMW recommends". The BMW Key Account guy on the other hand always gives me some pro RFT safety bla bla, but that's probably because he's paid to! (-And yes, before anyone has a go, I know there is truth in what he says about the safety benefits!)

cheers
Old 11-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545iA Orient Blue, Beige/Poplar, Sport, NAV, Sirius, Logic 7, CWP, PDC, Fold Downs, Sunshades, Bluetooth and “Sweeeeet”

Will BMW replace the Dunlops for a second time?
They did it once at 15K and now I have 25K and the second set is just as noisy as the first.
The service bulletin I used to get them to replace them the first time said BMW would replace them one time only and with less tha 20K on the car.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by PUMPMAN' post='351772' date='Nov 2 2006, 10:33 PM
Will BMW replace the Dunlops for a second time?
They did it once at 15K and now I have 25K and the second set is just as noisy as the first.
The service bulletin I used to get them to replace them the first time said BMW would replace them one time only and with less tha 20K on the car.
Not sure what service bulletin you saw but the one I've used says there can't be 20K miles on the tires, not the car. In other words, you should be able to get another set -- just like many of us did.

dunlop_runflat_SB.pdf

I'm hoping for a third replacement since my current tires are roaring again...