E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DTC not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:25 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i titanium silver sports package
Default DTC not working

So I've had my 2008 535i for two months now but today I was playing with the buttons and realized my DTC won't shut off. The DTC button is pretty much not working. I'm sure something should light up when I push the button but nothing comes on even when I hold it. The dtc light is functioning though as it is illuminated along with all the other lights when you start the car. Any common problems or maybe a clue of what's wrong?
The following users liked this post:
dws24 (09-01-2023)
Old 11-24-2016, 12:04 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

you could actuate the button with ISTA/D that would tell you what going on basically. If the module is registering the button press and not doing the command (turing off/on DTC) or if its not registering the button press at all. If you dont have access to ISTA/D or somebody with ISTA/D then if you inclined you could take apart the dash and the module. Most probably the rubber contact inside the button is probably dirty. A lot like how a TV remote stops working and you take it apart to clean the board and it works great again.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:56 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by DanielFD
you could actuate the button with ISTA/D that would tell you what going on basically. If the module is registering the button press and not doing the command (turing off/on DTC) or if its not registering the button press at all. If you dont have access to ISTA/D or somebody with ISTA/D then if you inclined you could take apart the dash and the module. Most probably the rubber contact inside the button is probably dirty. A lot like how a TV remote stops working and you take it apart to clean the board and it works great again.
Thanks a lot man! So take it apart and clean the button? What's next if that doesn't work ?
Old 11-24-2016, 09:09 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Dannielar
Thanks a lot man! So take it apart and clean the button? What's next if that doesn't work ?
No problem. Further diagnosis will be best done with ISTA/D which is the BMW diagnostic software. You could do it oldschool and test resistance on the board and so on but i think that would be too much work, at that point i'd just replace the whole board. You can take your VIN number to BMW and they can provide the required part or you could use realoem.com and get the part number yourself and buy online. Though i've never heard of a DTC button that stopped working before. I'd get a diagnosis on ISTA/D before throwing money at the car, besides you'd ruin the paint job. BA DUM TSSS
Old 11-24-2016, 09:41 AM
New Members

No problem. Further diagnosis will be best done with ISTA/D which is the BMW diagnostic software. You could do it oldschool and test resistance on the board and so on but i think that would be too much work, at that point i'd just replace the whole board. You can take your VIN number to BMW and they can provide the required part or you could use realoem.com and get the part number yourself and buy online. Though i've never heard of a DTC button that stopped working before. I'd get a diagnosis on ISTA/D before throwing money at the car, besides you'd ruin the paint job. BA DUM TSSS
I actually find it weird that it stopped working too because when I look it up nothing comes up, maybe it isn't common. Ima try to clean it later on and see if that works. Thanks a lot brotha!
Old 11-24-2016, 11:31 AM
New Members

So I took he dash apart and realized that the button weren't connected, so I put my hand back there and found the cables, connected them and bingo Im good to go. Thanks anyways!
Old 11-26-2016, 12:44 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Dannielar
So I took he dash apart and realized that the button weren't connected, so I put my hand back there and found the cables, connected them and bingo Im good to go. Thanks anyways!
Awesome! great it was an easy fix.