E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DSC OFF

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

I used to drive with DSC deactivated when I had my 19s
probably once or twice with 20s on.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

I usually only turn off DTC (when planning a quick getaway!) I've left DSC on, my reasoning is that I can deal with the wheel spin but until I get some advanced driving classes like you guys I'd rather have the car stop me going too far sideways. Although I might try it off later if it doesn't rain. Last time I did it was when the road was wet...not a good idea
Old 08-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Whats the difference, I know this has been discussed to the end of universe... but do you guys turn the whole traction control off (hold down the dtc) causing it to disable dtc/dsc or do you guys just tap the dtc to turn off just the dtc...

Car feels slower with everything off, with just dtc feels better... maybe its the 22s lmao
Old 08-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

From 2004 5 Series Manual:

DSC Driving stability control/DSC Dynamic Stability Control
The concept
DSC maintains vehicle stability, even in critical driving situations. The DSC is operational every time
you start the engine. DSC includes the functionality of the DTC Dynamic Traction Control and
DBC Dynamic Brake Control, refer to page 79.
The system optimizes vehicle stability during acceleration and when starting from a full stop,
as well as optimizing traction. The system recognizes any tendency for the vehicle to assume an
unstable attitude such as oversteer or understeer; it then counteracts this tendency with a combination
of graduated reductions in engine torque and selective braking intervention at individual wheels.
DSC provides optimal stability within the limits defined by the laws of physics.
Indicator lamps
The indicator lamp in the instrument cluster goes out soon after you start the engine.
If the indicator lamp flashes: DSC is regulating the drive and braking forces.
If the indicator lamp lights up permanently: DSC has been switched off using the button.
If the indicator lamp and the brake warning lamp light up permanently: Malfunction in DSC, DTC and DBC.
When the system is off, the stability maintenance functions described above are no longer available.
The vehicle will remain completely operational, however, without DSC.
Please respond to any malfunctions by referring the problem to your BMW center.

DTC Dynamic Traction Control
In special driving states, e.g. in deep snow, DTC ensures maximum forward momentum.
The gain in forward momentum also involves a reduction in driving stability.
DTC is active up to 45 mph/70 km/h. Activating DTC Press the DSC button briefly; the
DTC indicator lamp in the instrument cluster lights up permanently.
You may find it useful to briefly activate DTC under the following special circumstances:
> When rocking the vehicle and starting off in deep snow or on loose road surfaces
> When ascending snow-covered hills, and when driving in deep or on hardpacked snow
> When driving with snow chains. When DTC is active, DSC provides only limited system response up to a
speed of approx. 45 mph/70 km/h. Control intervention for stability-enhancement is reduced.<
Deactivating DTC again
Press the DSC button again; the DTC indicator lamp in the instrument cluster goes
out. DSC is available once again without restriction.
Deactivating DSC
Press the DSC button for at least 3 seconds; the DSC indicator lamp in the instrument
cluster lights up permanently.

DSC is deactivated.
Deactivating DSC automatically deactivates DTC as well. The systems for
enhancing stability and traction are deactivated, and there is no active braking intervention or torque control.
A message appears on the Control Display. Please note any supplementary information that appears there.
To maintain optimal stability, drive with the system on whenever possible.
Reactivating DSC
Press the DSC button again briefly; the indicator lamp in the instrument cluster goes out. DSC is now activated.
The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC. An appropriate driving style always remains the
responsibility of the driver. Therefore, do not reduce the additional safety margin again by taking risks.
Do not make any modifications to the DSC system. Never allow anyone other than
authorized professional technicians to carry out service or repairs on the DSC system
DBC Dynamic Brake Control
When you apply the brakes rapidly, this system automatically produces the maximum
braking force boost and thus helps to achieve the shortest possible braking distance during panic stops. This system
exploits all of the benefits provided by ABS. Do not reduce the pressure on the brake pedal for the duration of the brake application.
When the brake pedal is released, DBC is deactivated. In the event of a malfunction, the warning lamp in the instrument
cluster lights up yellow. Have the system checked and repaired at your BMW center as soon as possible.
Please note any information that appears on the Control Display.

My conclusion:To maintain optimal stability, drive with the system on whenever possible .
Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I switch DSC off when I need to get away quick from a junction and don't want the traction control kicking in should the wheels start spinning a little -- however typically the Michalins do a great job of biting into the tarmac

The other time is when I want the rear to kick out a little, but only do this where I have space and no one else around -- safety first hey

As for what Rizbel wrote at the top, I never drive on the autobahn without DSC on... no way!! Maybe its the difference in speeds between US and Germany autobahn/freeway driving But if I'm doing anywhere between 100-150mph, I want every stability aid possible, because at those speeds its going to be difficult to hold the car if something unforeseen happens or there is a wave in the road etc. Rizbel -- What do you mean by more responsive on the freeway??
Old 08-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='647620' date='Aug 15 2008, 01:54 PM
Rizbel -- What do you mean by more responsive on the freeway??
Car feels lighter and quicker when accelerating. Or it could be the Sprint Booster.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='647636' date='Aug 15 2008, 11:06 PM
Car feels lighter and quicker when accelerating. Or it could be the Sprint Booster.

Understood. That makes sense, the DSC / engine management won't be intervening as much with the power delivery, i.e. quicker acceleration. I think I need to try this out on a slower part of the autobahn next week...
Old 08-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='647652' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:19 PM
...the DSC / engine management won't be intervening as much with the power delivery...
That's what I imagine is happening. Similar to having your AC on. Be safe when you give it a try.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='647671' date='Aug 15 2008, 11:30 PM
Be safe when you give it a try.
absolutely I like my car the way it is -- don't need any extra curves in it!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='647618' date='Aug 15 2008, 01:53 PM
From 2004 5 Series Manual:

DSC Driving stability control/DSC Dynamic Stability Control
The concept
DSC maintains vehicle stability, even in critical driving situations. The DSC is operational every time
you start the engine. DSC includes the functionality of the DTC Dynamic Traction Control and
DBC Dynamic Brake Control, refer to page 79.
The system optimizes vehicle stability during acceleration and when starting from a full stop,
as well as optimizing traction. The system recognizes any tendency for the vehicle to assume an
unstable attitude such as oversteer or understeer; it then counteracts this tendency with a combination
of graduated reductions in engine torque and selective braking intervention at individual wheels.
DSC provides optimal stability within the limits defined by the laws of physics.
Indicator lamps
The indicator lamp in the instrument cluster goes out soon after you start the engine.
If the indicator lamp flashes: DSC is regulating the drive and braking forces.
If the indicator lamp lights up permanently: DSC has been switched off using the button.
If the indicator lamp and the brake warning lamp light up permanently: Malfunction in DSC, DTC and DBC.
When the system is off, the stability maintenance functions described above are no longer available.
The vehicle will remain completely operational, however, without DSC.
Please respond to any malfunctions by referring the problem to your BMW center.

DTC Dynamic Traction Control
In special driving states, e.g. in deep snow, DTC ensures maximum forward momentum.
The gain in forward momentum also involves a reduction in driving stability.
DTC is active up to 45 mph/70 km/h. Activating DTC Press the DSC button briefly; the
DTC indicator lamp in the instrument cluster lights up permanently.
You may find it useful to briefly activate DTC under the following special circumstances:
> When rocking the vehicle and starting off in deep snow or on loose road surfaces
> When ascending snow-covered hills, and when driving in deep or on hardpacked snow
> When driving with snow chains. When DTC is active, DSC provides only limited system response up to a
speed of approx. 45 mph/70 km/h. Control intervention for stability-enhancement is reduced.<
Deactivating DTC again
Press the DSC button again; the DTC indicator lamp in the instrument cluster goes
out. DSC is available once again without restriction.
Deactivating DSC
Press the DSC button for at least 3 seconds; the DSC indicator lamp in the instrument
cluster lights up permanently.

DSC is deactivated.
Deactivating DSC automatically deactivates DTC as well. The systems for
enhancing stability and traction are deactivated, and there is no active braking intervention or torque control.
A message appears on the Control Display. Please note any supplementary information that appears there.
To maintain optimal stability, drive with the system on whenever possible.
Reactivating DSC
Press the DSC button again briefly; the indicator lamp in the instrument cluster goes out. DSC is now activated.
The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC. An appropriate driving style always remains the
responsibility of the driver. Therefore, do not reduce the additional safety margin again by taking risks.
Do not make any modifications to the DSC system. Never allow anyone other than
authorized professional technicians to carry out service or repairs on the DSC system
DBC Dynamic Brake Control
When you apply the brakes rapidly, this system automatically produces the maximum
braking force boost and thus helps to achieve the shortest possible braking distance during panic stops. This system
exploits all of the benefits provided by ABS. Do not reduce the pressure on the brake pedal for the duration of the brake application.
When the brake pedal is released, DBC is deactivated. In the event of a malfunction, the warning lamp in the instrument
cluster lights up yellow. Have the system checked and repaired at your BMW center as soon as possible.
Please note any information that appears on the Control Display.

My conclusion:To maintain optimal stability, drive with the system on whenever possible .
wicked, thanks!

Quick Reply: DSC OFF