E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: How often do you disengage completely the dsc?
Everyday i get to play with the car.
5.00%
Almost everyday (and i do mean play with it, like really doing something when dsc goes off)
11.25%
Once a week or so, maybe in the weekends (since traffic is lighter)
22.50%
Once every 2 weeks or more.
6.25%
Once every month.
17.50%
I find this dsc off feature too risky for public roads.
18.75%
Never, i prefere 100% safety (and proably i should have goten a volvo ).
18.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

DSC off

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='282863' date='May 15 2006, 05:43 PM
Isnt this what happened when the car starts up???

i thought DTC only turned on when you pressed the button....If you held the button it turns of DSC..
Pressing DTC gives you more DTC, leaving most of what is considered to be DSC on. By more DTC, I mean more wheel spin for dealing with slippery conditions. Holding DTC down until the triangles appear, in theory, turns both DSC and DTC at least "mostly" off. Thus, a great deal of system management is avoided; the only part I want to avoid is traction control, but BMW is as BMW does. I think it is very likely to be impossible to turn DSC completely off, but who knows? It may simply depend on the car/software combo. Also, on my car, it is impossible to turn all DTC off. Others appear to be able to turn all DTC off.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='282769' date='May 15 2006, 11:24 PM
I haven't turn that off yet. Although I already had the DSC mailfunction already.

Do you really feel major difference between on and off??
I am not a Volvo driver...
Oh come on...let the car play a little...let it free...willy Yes it is a major difference if you are brutal with the throttle so be carefull especially around corners or high speed corners. I know you are not a volvo driver, don't get mad, it was just a joke. Disengage it in a rather empty parking lot and see what happens, play with the throttle and the steering a bit.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='282768' date='May 15 2006, 11:23 PM
i switch it off almost daily...i turn it off just for a few seconds...just to get some wheel spin for fun..but on a couple of days a week..i let the tail go out....even with a 525 engine....i still get a few suprises...cant even imagine what a 550 could do....not to mention an m5...

That's the spirit!
Yes you have to take it progresivly and be as gentle as you can be with the major controls when you let the tail out. You don't want to brake traction so brutal and then regain it even more brutal, because all that does is to unbalance the car. Gentle is the key word here. As a matter of fact i think that the m5 is even more fun and might feel more in control since you have an lsd there to help you and avoid fish-tailing or other unwanted stuff. Of course that doesn't mean to underestimate it.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I am not a Volvo driver

I turn it off a few times only and leave it on all the time.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

I love the looks on peoples faces when they see that the car is goin sideways. Most of the pedestirans freeze and look at you with disgust of course there are those who give you a nod and the thumbs up. I find that the 535 is one of the easiest cars to kick its tail out especially with big wheels and runflats on but its pretty hard to hold and control the slide due to auto diesel combo.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 520d SE - Jet Black - Advanced Air Con - Sports Suspension - Sports Steering Wheel - Extended Light Pack

As my E60 has yet to arrive ( ) I can't vote in the poll, but I expect I will leave the system fully on most of the time, or at least leave it in the middle setting. My current daily drive is a MB C-Class ( ) and even though it is only the C180K you can get the back end out quite easily, even with the DSC on!

Interestingly my other car (also RWD) has absolutely no traction control/stability control electronics but rarely slides as much as the Merc
Old 05-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='282993' date='May 15 2006, 10:51 PM
Oh come on...let the car play a little...let it free...willy Yes it is a major difference if you are brutal with the throttle so be carefull especially around corners or high speed corners. I know you are not a volvo driver, don't get mad, it was just a joke. Disengage it in a rather empty parking lot and see what happens, play with the throttle and the steering a bit.
Maybe I'll wait until the gas is under $2 per gallon again. Nah..., I can't wait, I am going to try it after work today.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

City driving is safer all off! It?s really scary when you try to pass something and DSC cut the power. High speed and highway they are on.

I got couple samples at the Nurburgring how helpfull DSC really is.

Skaffa
Old 05-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='282817' date='May 15 2006, 10:14 PM
Push and hold the DTC button until the triangles show up on the instrument panel. Then, both DSC and DTC are off. I am assuming that you have a DTC button as I do.
Thanks for that, will give it a try. It's raining at the moment so probably not the best time to try.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Contributors

I use to turn it off all the time, but have since gotten lazy about it. If I do anything, I'll just press the DSC button once to go into DSC limited mode so I can chirp the tires through 1st and 2nd gear.

When you start the car, both DSC and DTC are on. Pressing the button once does not give you more DTC, but instead just limits DSC so it cuts in later. Even if you turn off both DSC and DTC, you still drive with electronic nannies if you have active steering. AS will always counter steer for you and acts before DSC or DTC.

Quick Reply: DSC off