E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DSC faulty

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535d M Sport

Hi,

I've had my e60 from new for just 6 months now and have just had by 2nd fault with the car. The 1st happened in June when the wipers packed in. The latest problem is the DSC not working. As soon as I start driving the car I get the message !Dyanamic Stability Control - drive moderately. I also saw the message Start Assist Faulty - drive moderately, not sure what this one means.

It went into the dealer this morning and they've diagnosed the problem as a faulty steering sensor switch. Apparently they've had 5 e60s with the same problem in the last 24hrs just at my dealer. There's a national backlog on the part, so in the meantime, and possibly for 3 weeks I'm told, I'm in a Mondeo hire car!

Any one else had this problem?

Cheers

Roger
Old 07-27-2006, 04:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by rxlee' post='315683' date='Jul 27 2006, 07:11 AM
Any one else had this problem?
Oh, yeah. See http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=255971 for more info. That thread and a few others (search for SZL) discuss the problem. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2006, 04:55 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d M Sport

Thanks for pointing that post out VIIV. Certainly a comprehensive explanation to the problem, and I'm certainly not the only one then.

Roger
Old 07-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

I have had the exact same problem the last couple of days. I stopped by the dealer this morning and talked to the shop foreman/showed him the iDrive display. He immediately said the same thing - steering angle sensor. He said they are optical and in the heat they warp and fail. Apparently BMW has a new, more robust one. He has a few back ordered and is going to put a new one in on mine next week.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: Nov 2003 530D SE Auto in Mystic Blue with Grey Dakota Leather, Business Nav. Star Spoke 124 18"s, Blootooth Preperation. Modifications so far: M5 spoiler, M5 trunk finisher, hometronic rear view mirror, Maple Wood interior trim. Mods to come: M5 style quad exhaust and M5 rear bumper, Dechroming, black ebay grilles, tints, upgrade to factory amp, by the time I've done these, I'm sure I'll have thought of some more....

Originally Posted by pa550' post='315785' date='Jul 27 2006, 04:28 PM
I have had the exact same problem the last couple of days. I stopped by the dealer this morning and talked to the shop foreman/showed him the iDrive display. He immediately said the same thing - steering angle sensor. He said they are optical and in the heat they warp and fail. Apparently BMW has a new, more robust one. He has a few back ordered and is going to put a new one in on mine next week.
happened to my nov '03 530d today!

will book it in tomorrow
Old 07-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

Welcome to the club....it suxs :thumbsdown:
Got mine done about a month ago....same problem. Took 1.5 weeks...but forced dealer to give me a BMer loaner car...
Old 07-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by IndianGoneMAD' post='315842' date='Jul 27 2006, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the club....it suxs :thumbsdown:
Got mine done about a month ago....same problem. Took 1.5 weeks...but forced dealer to give me a BMer loaner car...
Why 1.5 weeks? Seems like a job they can get done in a day. Did they tell you not to drive it? I have to hit the road Monday for business with the car, but don't have an appointment until Tuesday. Safe to drive?
Old 07-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a friend with the same problem on his 525d. Left in dealer to wait for part too, up to 3 weeks as well, about 2 or 3 in the dealer already with same problem. Given a 1 series to drive, he's gutted which I guess is the same for all of you guys.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

Originally Posted by pa550' post='315879' date='Jul 27 2006, 11:28 AM
Why 1.5 weeks? Seems like a job they can get done in a day. Did they tell you not to drive it? I have to hit the road Monday for business with the car, but don't have an appointment until Tuesday. Safe to drive?

My SA claimed that since I had the heated steering wheel it would take a long time. But, I suspect since they are having problems all the way around it probably didnt matter. Also, I didnt want to drive my car, cause it started "fighting" me on turning at low speeds...funny, fly by wire stuff.

Im glad I left my car at the dealer cause then it became a priority 1 to fix for them...and when they got one part, guess who's car it went into?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:08 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

The latest victim of a faulty SZL sensor I assume both the brake / handbrake symbol & the DSC symbol are lighting up and clear when the ignition is turned off. This started two days ago and has appeared four times.
Not noticed any other issues and BMW UK say it is safe to drive.
Booked the car into BMW Heathrow who did not argue when I said its the SZL sensor widely reported on e60.net
Will keep you posted

Quick Reply: DSC faulty