E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Drying the E60 After a Wash - Mirrors and Trunk Drips

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Jet Black, Miro 111's, Painted Calipers, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, Ultimate Interior LED Kit, ACS Rear Spoilers (reps), HID 7k Fogs, Black Roundels and Badges, 20% Tint, Mtech V2 Angel Eyes, Ksport Coilovers, M5 Bumpers and Side Skits, ACS Front Lip (rep), and probably more on the way as you read this...

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I didn't see the thread. Each time I wash the car I always dry it thoroughly, but then get drip marks on the rear bumper from the trunk and also the drip marks from the mirrors. Even when I put paper towels inside under the mirrors, I still end up with water splatter marks on the car the next time I drive it. What's the best way to solve these problems?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by No Onions
Maybe this has been discussed before, but I didn't see the thread. Each time I wash the car I always dry it thoroughly, but then get drip marks on the rear bumper from the trunk and also the drip marks from the mirrors. Even when I put paper towels inside under the mirrors, I still end up with water splatter marks on the car the next time I drive it. What's the best way to solve these problems?
Use a leaf blower to blast the water that lies in the nooks and crannies. If you don't have one, reverse the air flow from a shop-vac or regular vacuum cleaner to do the same thing.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Use a leaf blower to blast the water that lies in the nooks and crannies. If you don't have one, reverse the air flow from a shop-vac or regular vacuum cleaner to do the same thing.
Yeah what he said!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I use my compressor myself!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Jet Black, Miro 111's, Painted Calipers, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, Ultimate Interior LED Kit, ACS Rear Spoilers (reps), HID 7k Fogs, Black Roundels and Badges, 20% Tint, Mtech V2 Angel Eyes, Ksport Coilovers, M5 Bumpers and Side Skits, ACS Front Lip (rep), and probably more on the way as you read this...

thanks guys, i should have asked this question a year ago instead of dealing with this aggravation for so long.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

air blow gun:
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
So are you using a leaf blower to dry your entire car instead of wiping it down with a chammy or absorber?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Members

Location: Santa Fe Springs (SFS) - L.A. (SoCal) USA, North America, EARTH

I will usually just open the trunk and dry everything around the trim where the trunk closes. One of the culprits for a wet bumper is the water behind your license plate. Stick a shammy back there and dry it really good. For the mirrors I'll usually just stick a small towel in there and dry what I can, take the car for a quick spin then dry off the car some more.

I would use a compressor but feel like it's overkill to get one just for drying off my car.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Members

I use a shop-vac to take 95 % of water off and follow up with a waffle cloth. Does an awesome job and reduces the swirl marks to virtually zero.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by SFS550
I will usually just open the trunk and dry everything around the trim where the trunk closes. One of the culprits for a wet bumper is the water behind your license plate. Stick a shammy back there and dry it really good. For the mirrors I'll usually just stick a small towel in there and dry what I can, take the car for a quick spin then dry off the car some more.

I would use a compressor but feel like it's overkill to get one just for drying off my car.
x2
Open your trunk and clean the nooks and crannies..
Drive to get a coffee, come back home and dry all water drips..
Next time you're out for a spin, your car looks freshhhhh
Unless it snows every other day like here in Toronto
.. Our weather is like a women, one day nice, next day a b!$@&! lol

Quick Reply: Drying the E60 After a Wash - Mirrors and Trunk Drips