E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

driving through Europe

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:33 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by studavis' post='819787' date='Mar 17 2009, 11:59 PM
If you do get stopped, use this phrase: "was zum Teufel tat, ziehen Sie mich fur ya bier trinkend schwein-Poliizisten.?" This should get you just a warning
Ummmm..... That translates to why the hell are you pulling me over you beer drinking bastard.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Contributors

REF: My avitar. I have never been to europe, so that was highly illeagal. I couldnt even enjoy doing it because of the fear of cops. I would love to get on the autobahn though.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='819877' date='Mar 18 2009, 07:25 AM
Watch out in France if you're taking the toll-roads because between toll booths they can calculate your average speed and can "get you" from the ticket evidence (so I hear).
Confirmed
Don't be fooled by the lack of Police on the French motorways. If they are present - it's right after the toll booth, where they efficiently and easy take you off on the side, present their calculations of your speed and issue a ticket; for foreigners: to be paid on the spot (no big cash necessary though, small mobile ATM machines, like those on Swiss police radio-cars are becoming very common, as I hear from my French co-workers...)

As far as German Autobahn Polizei is concerned, they're usually quite cool with reasonable E60 drivers most of them are E60 or E61 drivers (at work anyway)
Can't say that about Swiss autobahn radars though... There it's tough: apparently you can even get a ticket 1km over the limit, it's cheap but still ... c'mon!
I got one for 12 EUR which surprisingly enough arrives efficiently across the EU borders long after you already forgot your trip to the Alps...
Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

If you want to see beautiful landscapes you shouldn't stop in France and Germany... France is green but ALL flat, Germany... I simply don't like it so much (just
From Germany you can reach, in less than 5h through Austria, Verona + Garda lake and something else in Italy.
Austria and SudTirol (it) have something good.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Gregg, yes. you should do this. It would be a great trip. Lots of memories. Buy a really good digital camera video and still and just go. You'll have a great time.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Beware that real radar-detectors (so, non-GPS based detectors that measure radar-radiation) are highly illegal in the most of Europe.
The fines are REALLY high and you need to turn in your radar detector on the spot, even if it's been installed under the hood. In some countries they'll even impound your car!!!
Most police cars in Europe contain a "radar-detector-detector" that measure residual radiation (a radar-detector also transmits some radiation that's a few MHz higher that the common radar-frequencies), so they don't even have to see the thing, they'll just know it's in your car.

In some countries, GPS-only detectors are illegal too and will also be impounded.

So, general tip for driving thru Europe: don't use a radar-detector.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Contributors

We drove about 1,000 miles thru Germany last fall, mostly autobahn. We often experienced very heavy traffic due to construction and national holiday travelers. We passed thru some nice scenery for sure, but the stress of the drives kinda took the fun out of it. You need to study up on the driving laws and signage, and make sure you have a good GPS system. Take plenty of change, as you have to pay to piss at the rest stops, etc.

Next time, we'll probably stay on the trains. Unless we do European delivery on the 2011 5er that I'm looking forward to . . .
Old 03-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='820197' date='Mar 18 2009, 05:19 PM
Beware that real radar-detectors (so, non-GPS based detectors that measure radar-radiation) are highly illegal in the most of Europe.
The fines are REALLY high and you need to turn in your radar detector on the spot, even if it's been installed under the hood. In some countries they'll even impound your car!!!
Most police cars in Europe contain a "radar-detector-detector" that measure residual radiation (a radar-detector also transmits some radiation that's a few MHz higher that the common radar-frequencies), so they don't even have to see the thing, they'll just know it's in your car.

In some countries, GPS-only detectors are illegal too and will also be impounded.

So, general tip for driving thru Europe: don't use a radar-detector.
In Germany it's even illegal to download and install the navigation system POI (points of interest) data that shows where the speed cameras are located. Strangely though, the radio traffic reports are allowed to announce where the mobile police cameras are located. So it's always a good idea to leave the "TP" setting on and let the radio stations interrupt your CD/MP3 listening pleasure. What is annoying though, is that the RDS signal must stop at the end of the traffic report. It's not allowed to continue into the "blitzreport' about the speed cameras, so you have to switch to FM to listen to that part.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

I've done the route, in the reverse direction. It's about 500 miles.

If you take the Autoroute (the French equivalent to the Autobahn), you'll pay about 30-40 Euros in tolls, but the roads are quite nice and clear. The wind through very nice countryside. There is a 130 kph speed limit.

Once in Germany, you can open it up, provided you don't hit traffic, construction or bad weather.

It's a nice trip, although I think ought to consider some the B roads in France to visit more of the country.

Originally Posted by gregg2gs' post='819457' date='Mar 17 2009, 02:25 PM
Thinking of taking a week for my anniversary to drive through france,beglium and germany (starting from London by train to france). Picking up car in France and driving through to Munich.

Would this be a memorable ride with the best scenery or not worth it?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by mja' post='820006' date='Mar 18 2009, 02:14 PM
Someone in my beloved home country was just fined €112000 for speeding. He did 82kmh when the limit was 60. Had he done 80 or less, he would've gotten only €115...

It's here, but unfortunately in Finnish http://www.aamulehti.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/yl...on-sakot/133576
I can do a fast translation; this is fu**ing true!

Millionaires pay easy 50 - 100 KEuro tickets for almost nothing.

But if you are unemployed and don't have a drivers license, go for it!

It's much cheaper to kill people in this country. :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: driving through Europe