E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Driving Stability Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please help a newwbiee

I am having an intermittant problem with 2007 530I. What is happening is that I am getting a yellow triangle inside a circle and the word "brake" in yellow on my dash See attachments). When I look at the service indications in the iDrive system (in the nav window area), there are two messages. The first is "Drive control system! Drive modera . . ." When I click on this message it takes me to a screen with a message that says "Driving Stability - Drive control system malfunction. Reduced driving stability in curves. Drive moderately! Have the system checked by the . . . "(you get the idea). The second message in the main "service" indicator area says "Start-off assistance inactive!" When I click on it, the next screen says "Start-off assistance - Start-off assistance inactive. Caution, vehicle may roll back! Have the system checked by your BMW center at the next opportunity." The car does NOT go into limp mode and appears to drive normally.

Driving Stability Malfunction-photo1.jpgDriving Stability Malfunction-photo2.jpgDriving Stability Malfunction-photo3.jpgDriving Stability Malfunction-photo4.jpgDriving Stability Malfunction-photo5.jpg
Old 08-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

probably ur battery or alternator. I get the same thing. I need to bring it back to the dealers.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Members

please let me know the outcome, I'm out of warranty. All system check's out ok and no problem starting the car even though its been park for almost 2 days. How can you tell weather the alternator or battery are bad?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Try to top off your brake fluid reservoir.

Those warnings may have triggered because the system thinks your brake may malfunction due to low fluid.

Try that and post back if that works so I know what to do in the future just in case.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Members

do you know the type of brake fluid and grade? do they have it at local auto parts store like Auto Zone maybe??
Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Just go to Autozone and get the Valvoline Synthetic Brake Fluid:

It's as good or better than BMW fluid.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Members

thanks, hope it will do the trick and will post the outcome
Old 08-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Does that error pop up when the steering wheel is moved (intermittently)? It goes away after turning the car off and turning it back on? I had this same issue. In my case it's the Steering angle sensor. It's part of the SLZ (or SZL I forgot) cluster. It's about a $500 part. My car was out for 3 days to get it fixed. (day 1 diagnose and order part, day 2 install part, day 3 program part). I was under warranty at the time so I don't know how much the labor is.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Members

The error started 6 days ago and yes when steering the wheel the error appeared. The error disappear after turn off and turn on the engine, I checked the idrive status after fresh start, all OK, no messages of mulfunction. It seems the idrive reset itself everytime the engine restart. In an average of 30 miles of driving, the error appeared again.

Two days ago I checked the steering fluid and its only half full, before tapping off the fluid, I removed the old fluid from the reservior and tapp off with new fluid. I drove and tested the car in a winding and freeway road and no error appeared.

Yesterday morning when my wife drop off the kids to school the error appeared.

Today no error appeared at all after driving the car the whole day and just got back an hour before midnight. Im crossing my finger hoping not enough fluid was the cause of fault message.

About the Steering Sensor, called RMeuropean autoparts, they dont know about that part for 07 530i and the same with the realoem.com website, Steering Sensor was not mentioned for 07 530i....
Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I guess the steering angle sensor is part of the Steering Column switch/control unit. Part No.: 61-31-9-111-997

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&fg=35&hl=34

That's the part they replaced on mine. Also, when I got the car back, the tilt steering didn't work. The tech forgot to program all the features I had within the steering column. I had to bring the car back and had them reprogram the tilt steering in.

When you do bring it to get repaired, provide some pictures of the error you see. Since the error is intermittent, the may not want to troubleshoot it if they can't see the error themselves. check out this thread:

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/5-s...ult-68407.html

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Driving Stability Malfunction