E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Driving Lights/ DRL's/Pretty dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 528 XI /2008/E60/LCI with PP, Xenon adaptive,CWP,VC,Nav,PlatGray
Default Driving Lights/ DRL's/Pretty dumb question

Friends... My apologies for such a dumb question, but I don't know how to figure out otherwise. I'm brand new to BMW.

My car is a 528XI/E60/2008/LCI.

It has xeon HID adaptive headlights.

(I just succesfully replaced a burnt out headlight with everyones help from here... and alot of wiggling to get the headlights modules off the car) Thank you.

Now the real dumb: What are my "daytime running lights " DRL's supposed to be?

In each module, I have two lenses/headlights...both with angel eye halo's circling them.The outside lense/headlight is my headlight (both normal and brights and which I just replaced with D1S bulbs).

The inside lens/headlight never lights up on either side (I think it's supposed to be my DRL.) I get no warning light/message. I have tried my IDrive and set my DRL's on/off with all combinations of the switch, and those lenses never light. The AE's on both lenses do light and unlite as I change my IDrive DRL setting on/off.

Is that interior lens supposed to light and be my DRL? Could both of the bulbs be burned out and I don't get any warning light?

The light module appears to have two access holes to that lens. The big access hole that is behind the module seems to control the AE lite. There is a smaller access hole on top of the module... is that for a bulb for the DRL?

Thanks for anyone who understands this...

Peter
Old 03-09-2013, 05:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 535i M-Sport Package M Double Spoke 135 Wheels Shadowline Trim Xenon Adaptive Headlights HID LED AE Anthracite Headliner

The inside lights are your cornering lights. To test them, turn the headlight to auto and start the car. The cornering lights will turn on based on the steering angle. Turn your steering wheel to the left or right and the cornering lights will turn on based on which direction you are turning.... Your AE is your DRL if enabled in iDrive...
Old 03-09-2013, 08:23 AM
New Members

My Ride: 528 XI /2008/E60/LCI with PP, Xenon adaptive,CWP,VC,Nav,PlatGray

Black Thunder...

Thank Ya... Both mine are working just as you describe.

Best ...Peter
Old 03-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Black Thunder
The inside lights are your cornering lights. To test them, turn the headlight to auto and start the car. The cornering lights will turn on based on the steering angle. Turn your steering wheel to the left or right and the cornering lights will turn on based on which direction you are turning.... Your AE is your DRL if enabled in iDrive...
Are the cornering lights only on LCI cars? I assume they are not needed if you have adaptive xenons?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 535i M-Sport Package M Double Spoke 135 Wheels Shadowline Trim Xenon Adaptive Headlights HID LED AE Anthracite Headliner

Originally Posted by westsidebalto
Are the cornering lights only on LCI cars? I assume they are not needed if you have adaptive xenons?
I don't know if pre LCI models have cornering lights are not. I have a 2010 535i MSport and the cornering lights turn on base on my steering angle. I have xenon adaptive headlights too. There's a write up in this forum concerning the operation of the cornering lights.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Park in front of a store where you can see your car like in a mirror. What you should see is when you go into reverse both the inside lights will illuminate. And when you make a left or right turn the respective light should illuminate respectively. If they are not, you could possibly have a a bad bulb.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 550i Black/Sand. Dinan free flow intake, throttle body, carbon fiber strut brace, and exhaust. Carbon fiber engine cover. Blend mount for a Belltronics RD w/mirror tap. Smoke LED taillights. Projector fog-lites w/HID kit.

on a 2007 pre lci 550i they are passing lights. push the directional arm forward and the D2 bulb, same as low beam, powers the high beam, both xenon. pull the directional to the rear and the inner lights flash, on my car they're halogen H7's. i figured it out by looking in the window of the local gas station, great idea imust say, lol.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i m sport lci

@peterf111 how hard was it to change those ds1 bulb on the lci?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by doughboy540
@peterf111 how hard was it to change those ds1 bulb on the lci?
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest; I would say 4.
The D1-S bulb is replaced by removing the headlight assembly (at least I did for ease and simplicity).
2. Remove rear headlight door;
3. Unplug the wire loom going to the D1-S bulb;
4. Rotate D1-S bulb counter-clockwise until it stop;
5. Remove bulb from headlight housing;
6. Remove circular D1-S bulb holder by pressing the clip down and opening the holder;
7. Replace D1-S holder onto new bulb;
8. Replacement is reverse of the above.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

On pre-LCI'S, the inner projectors are your high beams. On LCI'S, it's one bulb that has both hi & low beams on the same projector. That's why they are "Bi-xenons".

Quick Reply: Driving Lights/ DRL's/Pretty dumb question