E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Driving impression of E60 from an E39 owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW M-Power

I know the battle line was drawn long ago by the E39 loyalist. I too, was once skeptical w/ the direction of the new generation of BMW (aka a Chris Bagel hater). Individual?s taste in automotive style is not a topic I want to debate on. However, I must say that we absolutely love the new 545 SMG that recently purchased. Albeit outdated, it is my intention to keep my E39 M5. For the M5 is a special car IMO, and will remain as an ?///M? car for its useful life. That is all I can say about that.

Onto the new 545: The car is simply amazing. Aside from its astonishing looks (IMO, of course) our 545 contains pretty much all the best BMW has to offer, I will try to cover my impression, item by item:

i-drive: I think the I-drive is a much improved version of what BMW offered as part of the navigation system. The process is much simplified compare to the widescreen navigation system in my M5. I can?t speak from I-drive system in other BMWs but I can say this, the people who thinks the I-drive system in the E60 to be ?..too complicated..? and have difficulty to use the system are the same people who can?t use a computer for web surfing. It is nowhere near the task of programming VCR. Really!! If you have problem using I-drive in the E60, you will the 21st century a serious challenge w/ the blue tooth mobile phone and tivo as well the HDTV.

On a separate note, the voice command (if you are too lazy to click the I-drive, too busy driving) is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C! it recognized my off accent inglish and that?s pretty f***king good!

HUD: This is an long overdue item for the BMW world. A common problem amongst the BMW drivers is that you can?t see the speed you are traveling (because we all want to drive the bimmer as a sports car and not have the steering wheel tilted up like being a truck driver). At any given moment, I know exactly how fast I am traveling (comes in handy when you spot the local law enforcement ahead, and able to adjust how fast you need to brake to be within the law) without taking my eyes off the road. Also, able to see the navigation directions without moving my head and re-focus to the road again. I highly recommend this option. I do NOT find the HUD data distracting, and no, it is NOT like reading sub-title while watching a flick. One noticeable problem is when I saddle back into the ol? E39 M5, I feel psychologically ?blind? as the HUD is not on the car.

SMG: Oh baby!! Look, as much I enjoy the ?control? of manual tranny, there is just no way around it. SMG gives you the control and the unbelievable shifting speed (and this is just the SSG version of SMG, just imagine what the SMG3 in the new M5 can do!). There is a certain learning curve w/ a SMG to be able to get the system to learn your driving style. As well as you learn how the SMG system works. In fact, I would say the learning curve for the driver portion is VERY similar to how one learns to drive a manual transmission. It isn?t difficult, it just takes a lil? time (a few hours). Having the opportunity to drive the SMG for a week, I can easily make the car drive as smooth as an auto tranny limo in both auto mode or manual mode.

Logic-7: I have the M-audio option from BMW for the E39 M5 (not great, its just okay!) and I recommend everyone to get the Logic-7 system if you have the opportunity. (You are foolish if you don?t) And those of you who either bought the car off the rack or just didn?t order the car w/ the L-7 upgrade?. Be happy w/ what you have and NEVER let the curiosity get the best of you and play w/ a car that has L-7. You WILL be miserable for the remainder duration of your E60 ownership. DON?T do it!

Active suspension: Geezes!! The guy who designed this system for BMW needs to get a salary raise. I went thru several hair-pin turns and the 545 ate it up it like gravity didn?t exist. The 545 manage the turn better than my stock E39 M5, that IMO is pretty damn impressive!

Active headlights: Man!! The E39 owners will never know what they are missing. Kindda like the guys/gals who bought their car without xenon headlight, would never know what they are missing.

Active steering: So what?s all the fuzz about??!! What is there not to like about it? I think its really cool to not have to crank my steering wheel side-to-side going thru a tight canyon road. It kinnda gives me a taste how driving Formula 1 car is like.

PDC: Althought the PDC is pretty much the same, the visual distance provided by the I-drive screen is very entertaining. Thumbs-up!!

Cheers,

beewang
Old 10-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Magnificent review Bee,

I am regretting now for deleting HUD. The display looks very streight in your windshield. Unlike the one that I drove, that's why I deleteded it.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Members

Congrats on the 545, but damn 137mph
Old 10-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Contributors

Well, might as well add my summary, too. I am also an ex - E39 owner. Had 3 of them, in fact. So, do I love 5's? you betcha! At first, I was so anti E60, I actually bought an x5 4.4... I traded that after 65 days for my current 545i.

Navigation - as has been the case with BMW for a while now, their NAVI system is antiquated (sp?). resolutions is a bit better on the E60, but same basic system. Acura and Lexus blow doors on this, but hey, I'm not driving either!

HUD - my car has it, came that way. It's OK. I could do without it. To me, it really doesn't serve much of a purpose, and certainly not for $1000. Not to say it stinks, just saying I could do without it.

I-Drive - really neat. lots of features. in fact, some of the Car & Key memory stuff that the dealer needed to program can now be done by YOU. takes about 30 minutes of really playing with it, then you are the master.

Active Steering - well, read ALOT of negative stuff on this. all I can say is, WOW. truly a techno advancement. I do not see the lack of on center feel that others refer to. Steering is obviosuly easier, but nonetheless, I always feel that I am driving the car, the way a BMW normally feels.

Dunlop Run Flats - I know my service advisor has told me there are inherent problems here, and BMW will stand behind them. so far, they are quiet, smooth (small vibrations, awaiting new balancing), and handle great. I haven't had the chance to try them in the wet, yet. Only time will tell.

Now, as compared to my E39(s) - car is much tighter, yet easier to drive. handles better. Speed wise, maybe it is just my car, but compared to some of the 540's I've driven, I must be honest and say the 545 doesn't feel as powerful. maybe the torque is not there? I know when I see the speedo, I am doing 60. 70, even 80... so it is fast, maybe I just don't notice it?

I highly recommend the E60!
Old 10-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Oct 12 2004, 11:14 AM
Magnificent review Bee,
[snapback]43922[/snapback]
Yes, great review.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Members

Thanks, guys, for your reviews. It's interesting that you have some divergent opinions on some of the options but at the end of the day, you both seem very happy with your cars. I think ultimately, that's all that matters.

Now, if BMW could just do something about moving the ship carrying my car along a little faster...
Old 10-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jyeatman' date='Oct 12 2004, 12:00 PM
Now, if BMW could just do something about moving the ship carrying my car along a little faster...
[snapback]43936[/snapback]
I noticed you ordered ACC and didn't order the Premium package. I think there are only a few cars with ACC on it in the forum. I really like it. Why did you order it instead of something else? Just curious.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Oct 12 2004, 04:10 PM
[quote name='jyeatman' date='Oct 12 2004, 12:00 PM']Now, if BMW could just do something about moving the ship carrying my car along a little faster...
[snapback]43936[/snapback]
I noticed you ordered ACC and didn't order the Premium package. I think there are only a few cars with ACC on it in the forum. I really like it. Why did you order it instead of something else? Just curious.
[snapback]43973[/snapback]
[/quote]

I believe the 545 comes standard with Premium Package.. it is not an option in the USA!
Old 10-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Oct 12 2004, 12:52 PM
I know the battle line was drawn long ago by the E39 loyalist. I too, was once skeptical w/ the direction of the new generation of BMW (aka a Chris Bagel hater). Individual?s taste in automotive style is not a topic I want to debate on.? However, I must say that we absolutely love the new 545 SMG that recently purchased. Albeit outdated, it is my intention to keep my E39 M5. For the M5 is a special car IMO, and will remain as an ?///M? car for its useful life. That is all I can say about that.

Onto the new 545: The car is simply amazing. Aside from its astonishing looks (IMO, of course) our 545 contains pretty much all the best BMW has to offer, I will try to cover my impression, item by item:

i-drive: I think the I-drive is a much improved version of what BMW offered as part of the navigation system. The process is much simplified compare to the widescreen navigation system in my M5. I can?t speak from I-drive system in other BMWs but I can say this, the people who thinks the I-drive system in the E60 to be ?..too complicated..? and have difficulty to use the system are the same people? who can?t use a computer for web surfing. It is nowhere near the task of programming VCR. Really!! If you have problem using I-drive in the E60, you will the 21st century a serious challenge w/ the blue tooth mobile phone and tivo as well the HDTV.

On a separate note, the voice command (if you are too lazy to click the I-drive, too busy driving) is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C! it recognized my off accent inglish and that?s pretty f***king? good!

HUD: This is an long overdue item for the BMW world. A common problem amongst the BMW drivers is that you can?t see the speed you are traveling (because we all want to drive the bimmer as a sports car and not have the steering wheel tilted up like being a truck driver). At any given moment, I know exactly how fast I am traveling (comes in handy when you spot the local law enforcement ahead, and able to adjust how fast you need to brake to be within the law) without taking my eyes off the road. Also, able to see the navigation directions without moving my head? and re-focus to the road again. I highly recommend this option. I do NOT find the HUD data distracting, and no, it is NOT like reading sub-title while watching a flick. One noticeable problem is when I saddle back into the ol? E39 M5, I feel psychologically ?blind? as the HUD is not on the car.

SMG: Oh? baby!! Look, as much I enjoy the ?control? of manual tranny, there is just no way around it. SMG gives you the control and the unbelievable shifting speed (and this is just the SSG version of SMG, just imagine what the SMG3 in the new M5 can do!). There is a certain learning curve w/ a SMG to be able to get the system to learn your driving style. As well as you learn how the SMG system works. In fact, I would say the learning curve for the driver portion is VERY similar to how one learns to drive a manual transmission. It isn?t difficult, it just takes a lil? time (a few hours). Having the opportunity to drive the SMG for a week, I can easily make the car drive as smooth as an auto tranny limo in both auto mode or manual mode.

Logic-7: I have the M-audio option from BMW for the E39 M5 (not great, its just okay!) and I recommend everyone to get the Logic-7 system if you have the opportunity. (You are foolish if you don?t) And those of you who either bought the car off the rack or just didn?t order the car w/ the L-7 upgrade?. Be happy w/ what you have and NEVER let the curiosity get the best of you and play w/ a car that has L-7. You WILL be miserable for the remainder duration of your E60 ownership. DON?T do it!

Active suspension: Geezes!! The guy who designed this system for BMW needs to get a salary raise. I went thru several hair-pin turns and the 545 ate it up it like gravity? didn?t exist. The 545 manage the turn better than my stock E39 M5, that IMO is pretty damn impressive!

Active headlights: Man!! The E39 owners will never know what they are missing. Kindda like the guys/gals who bought their car without xenon headlight, would never know what they are missing.

Active steering: So what?s all the fuzz about??!! What is there not to like about it? I think its really cool to not have to crank my steering wheel side-to-side going thru a tight canyon road. It kinnda gives me a taste how driving Formula 1 car is like.

PDC:? Althought the PDC is pretty? much the same, the visual distance provided by the I-drive screen is very entertaining. Thumbs-up!!

Cheers,

beewang
[snapback]43917[/snapback]
I too have an M5. It's a 2000 with Dinan Stage II suspension and exhaust. I'm considering trading it in for the 545i 6 speed. I love driving a stick and although I'm first on the list for the new M5, I don't think I want SMG and pretty bad mileage (range). I don't have garage space for both, what will I miss if I trade in M5 for the E60 (besides 0-60 in less than 5 seconds.)?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Members

Just to confirm Wassy, the premium package is standard on the 545.

As far as ACC, I am a gadget freak and so this was a no-brainer for me (just like HUD). It is pricey, but I plan on keeping the car for a while.

Quick Reply: Driving impression of E60 from an E39 owner