E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535 xi, Comfort Access, Cold Weather, Nav, Parking Sensors, Logic 7

So here is a general driving etiquette question. I was driving home from La Guardia airport at 10:30pm on a Friday. It's the usual semi-heavy traffic on Grand Central going towards LI. I was in the far left lane going slightly below speed limit. I noticed that the middle lane had opened up a bit, so I turned on my signal and changed lanes. Passed the cars in the left lane and caught up to the cars in the middle lane. There was about a three cars length room in the slow lane, so I signaled again and moved over. Before I switched lanes, I did notice a car a bit back in the slow lane. All of a sudden, that car is on my rear end flashing their high beams, on and off. I notice it's a bimmer, it had bright white AEs, so either a mod or new model. By this time, I already had to break again as I had caught up to the cars in that lane. So we're talking about not much room here. For this guy to have gotten that close to me that fast, he must have been going at least 90 to 100 in the slow lane with semi-heavy traffic. And he is flashing me? If we had gotten into an accident, it would have been his fault and he would have his license revoked for reckless driving. Am I wrong? I know that when I pass in the slow lane, I never go that fast and I always watch for people switching lanes because I'm passing on the right side. If I had moved into the fast lane and this had happened, yes I completely understand, but in the slow lane? That's not right.

So the guy passes me on my left and slowly moves to the far left lane. I had to find out which bimmer it was. So I move over as well and I find out it's a 335i. Probably a snot nosed kid whose parents bought it for him when he got his learner's permit. It just gives bimmer drivers a bad name when things like this happen. I normally wouldn't post something like this, but this just got me so mad. Sorry for the ranting.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Happens with the best of us - more so in the cramped up stressful roads in urban east coast. Who knows that the 335i was upto. Could have been a guy after a f'ed up day at work, someone late for dinner, a couple late for the movie, a nurse heading to the hospital and running late ....

Nothing makes the behavior right and I am not justifying it. Sometimes things around us take away the better part of us and we can't see what we are upto with our powerful toys.

Let it go buddy .
Old 06-16-2012, 05:07 AM
Contributors

I think your post title tells it all.
Before "retiring" from the corporate world I was a "road warrior" and putting on 100K miles/year here (USA) and abroad I can tell you that drivers here are more undisciplined and "rude" than in many other countries (Well, Italy and India are two exceptions that come to mind ). Whether it's the left-lane bandits, failure to yield, or driving beyond the capability of the car and driver ... and the list goes on.

Reminds me of the story where two drivers were crossing paths on a country road and the first driver yelled out "PIG" ... to which the second driver yelled out "SLUT" ... a half mile down the road the second driver hit a pig that was in the middle of the road! That said, in my opinion It doesn't matter what the "the other driver was thinking" - maybe he/she wasn't ... but your response to it.

Guess you could be thankful that other car trying to climb into your trunk wasn't a clapped out Ford or you could have had an up close and personal rear-ender going on!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535 xi, Comfort Access, Cold Weather, Nav, Parking Sensors, Logic 7

Thanks guys. I feel a little calmer now. NYC has it's share of crazy drivers regardless of what they are driving. But it seems 3 series drivers seem a bit more reckless than 5ers. Just my opinion.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have to pass people in the right-hand lanes all the time. Everyone, it seems, just wants to drive in the left lane 100% of the time. So annoying.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

The gcp is a breeding ground for accidents and now they are redoing the pavement people are gonna do 150 on it
Old 06-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Msport

thats why I rock 60mph in the slow lane, let me just enjoy my fiver in peace
Old 06-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

People here in NYC are idiots. Plain and simple. lol
Old 06-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Members

While visiting NYC a few years ago, my Wife and I were driving late at night from the City back to where we were staying in New Jersey. Expressway is wide open and we're traveling at a pretty healthy clip - look over and a see a guy on the other side with the car in reverse, literally backing up to get back to the offramp that was a good 1/2 mile behind him.

Couldn't believe it! Never seen such a thing in my life!

(Slow cars camped in the fast lane are the root of most freeway evil, though!)
Old 06-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Unfortunately, cruising in the passing lane and passing in the slow lanes are a part of driving in the US. It's all about keeping your ride and it's occupants safe. Who knows why some aggressive drivers drive the way they do. Let them pass, let them through, stay away from them, hang back and enjoy the drive! Arriving a few minutes late isn't gonna kill me.

Quick Reply: Driving etiquette