E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Driver's side climate temperature knob wierdness...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Lets say I have the climate control OFF...no fan, no indicators, nothing on at all...driver's side temp knob is all the way counterclockwise (cold position) with no indictaors on the front of the knob. I then grab the knob, and gently try to turn it counterclockwise (CCW)...remember it's already all the CCW, so the knob does not turn at all, but there is obviously a bit of pressure put on the knob from me trying to turn it. When I do this, the a/c turns ON and the green indicators on the front of the knob turn ON. Does this happen to anybody else or do I have a problem??
Old 06-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Allen' post='597096' date='Jun 6 2008, 11:50 AM
Lets say I have the climate control OFF...no fan, no indicators, nothing on at all...driver's side temp knob is all the way counterclockwise (cold position) with no indictaors on the front of the knob. I then grab the knob, and gently try to turn it counterclockwise (CCW)...remember it's already all the CCW, so the knob does not turn at all, but there is obviously a bit of pressure put on the knob from me trying to turn it. When I do this, the a/c turns ON and the green indicators on the front of the knob turn ON. Does this happen to anybody else or do I have a problem??

Curious as to why you kept turning it? Also, how/why would this be a problem? Do you have other ac "issues" other than this?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='597133' date='Jun 6 2008, 01:27 PM
Curious as to why you kept turning it? Also, how/why would this be a problem? Do you have other ac "issues" other than this?
I can hear echos of my mother saying "Don't touch it, or your going to break it!" ooops!

If your climate control is off then turning any control will switch it back on again, even if you don't move a control a whole 'notch' it comes on. I don't think this is a problem, just saves us pressing another button to adjust the temperature.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='597133' date='Jun 6 2008, 12:27 PM
I didn't turn it...it was already all the way CCW, so it won't turn...besides, why I did it, doesn't matter. I'm wanting to know if everybody else's car does the same thing or if mine has a bad/flakey switch. The passenger side temp control knob does NOT do the same thing.

If it does have a bad switch...or one that is going bad, I want to go ahead and get it replaced. I don't want to wait till I'm out of warranty, then have the "problem" get worse to include the fan knob or some board that all those switches connect to...that sort of thing can get expensive.

I don't have any other AC issues...other than I wish it didn't automatically turn ON every time I crank the car. I can't imagine why BMW didn't set it up so that the AC remains in whatever state it was when the car was turned off.

Bottom line...this operation doesn't seem normal and I suspect I have a switch problem.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Sheesh!
Old 06-07-2008, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pet peeve needs psychologist, anyone?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by Allen' post='597484' date='Jun 6 2008, 11:38 PM
I didn't turn it...it was already all the way CCW, so it won't turn...besides, why I did it, doesn't matter. I'm wanting to know if everybody else's car does the same thing or if mine has a bad/flakey switch. The passenger side temp control knob does NOT do the same thing.

If it does have a bad switch...or one that is going bad, I want to go ahead and get it replaced. I don't want to wait till I'm out of warranty, then have the "problem" get worse to include the fan knob or some board that all those switches connect to...that sort of thing can get expensive.

I don't have any other AC issues...other than I wish it didn't automatically turn ON every time I crank the car. I can't imagine why BMW didn't set it up so that the AC remains in whatever state it was when the car was turned off.

Bottom line...this operation doesn't seem normal and I suspect I have a switch problem.
The controls on both sides should be the same I'd guess the one on the drivers side got more use in your car than the passenger side, since you don't seem to like the automatic settings then I'd assume you would be playing with this side more. With the additional use and wear its probably going to feel different over time, if you can get it swapped out based on 'feel' rather than a fault...you will have to see how your service guy feels.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='597742' date='Jun 7 2008, 11:28 AM
The controls on both sides should be the same I'd guess the one on the drivers side got more use in your car than the passenger side, since you don't seem to like the automatic settings then I'd assume you would be playing with this side more. With the additional use and wear its probably going to feel different over time, if you can get it swapped out based on 'feel' rather than a fault...you will have to see how your service guy feels.
The car is only 6 months old, so the wear shoudn't be an issue at this point. Like someone mentioned, with all the AC settings off (no lights of any kind), if you move any of the knobs/switches, the system will turn ON. This is acting like I turned the driver's side temp knob, therefore the system turns ON. The problem is that I have actually NOT turned the knob at all...it is already fully CCW...I just tried to genty turn it, not realizing it was already fully turned. So I assume that knob/switch must be flakey.

I started messing around with the knobs/buttons in that area because I discovered a "feature" that I initially thought was a problem. When you touch (not push, but just touch) the radio programmable buttons...the nav. display shows what is programmed for the button you touched. I found this is correct operation after digging in the manual. But initially, I thought there was some sort of connection problem. Then when I discovered the temp knob thing, I thought I had some problem common to both these "issues". A problem that would be common to both those buttons and the temp knob would definitely noy be good...sooo...I got concerned and asked the question here.

I have my 15K service comming up, I'll check with the SA and see if this is normal or if it is problem. Thanks to those who tried to help...
Old 08-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Allen' post='597096' date='Jun 6 2008, 09:50 AM
I have the same problem. Did you get it solved? Does your fan come on randomly? I'm having those issues right now. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

DC
Old 08-06-2008, 04:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by djdc78' post='640618' date='Aug 6 2008, 01:29 AM
I have the same problem. Did you get it solved? Does your fan come on randomly? I'm having those issues right now. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

DC
I haven't had it looked at yet. It seems like I tried it a few weeks ago and it didn't do it. I'll try it again this afternoon and report back.